Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do (job query)

• 29-01-2003 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

Right- this has really píssed me off and I need some thoughtful input. Let me paint you a picture:

I have been in my current job nearly a year now, and inside the first three months I decided "this is simply not for me". Without going into the whole detail, my career history has been doing X for the last 6 years and for the last twelve months I have been doing Y so the long and short of it is that this job is just not for me. It's also mind numbingly boring. Anyways, I attended a few interviews before Christmas and was offered a job last week. Whoo hoo you say: or maybe not. On Monday night I find out to my horror that the OTE salary with job offered is only 60% of my current OTE salary; but the new job is really better suited to me. In order to earn the same money, I would need to work 40% harder with the other company. Anyway, I am considering staying with my current job and using the job offer (not giving away the salary details of course) as a lever to sort out a few issues I have with my current job and make my life easier and more productive.

I am interested to see if anyone has been in a similar position in the past and if they have used the "I've had an offer" to improve their existing positions and also how it worked out for them? Money isnt an issue here, it's not more money I want here, it's better facilities.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Hmm I think Work is better than PI for this type of thing, maybe WWm might find a better place for it. I'll leave a redirect in PI for you.

Out of curiosity, when you say OTE do you mean the Greek Telco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Money isnt an issue here, it's not more money I want here, it's better facilities.
    it must be an issue, otherwise you would have taken it!!

but 40% is a massive gap .. if it was smaller I'd say take the new job

speaking from a personal view, I'd gladly take a 20% pay cut to do something i want .. rather than teh boring crap i do now

On taht note anyone who wants to give me a software development job please do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kell

Merc- you're spot on. It is indeed On Target Earnings. I repeat, it's not money based as I am not going to go to the boss and say: "I've been offered a job, now I want more cash". I earn more than I thought I did here. Things wouldnt be quite so boring if what I want is implemented. Then there would be quite a different story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭domeara01

well i have never used the i ahve been made a better offer stunt to get a promotion but i would think that unless you are a really valued employee then you are wasting your time. cause if you are not then e will just tell you to muck off and we dont need you.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Kell
    I am interested to see if anyone has been in a similar position in the past and if they have used the "I've had an offer" to improve their existing positions and also how it worked out for them?

Just thought I would point that out again rather than have people who havent been in a similar situation posting opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My brother did, he said to the company
    I ses in the paper/internet they were offerning xxx to for tax consultancy, he head of HR said ok .. you show me these and we'll discuss it.

He was telling a porkie pie at the time and had to settle for less than he hoped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Yurmasyurda

Originally posted by Kell
    "I've had an offer" to improve their existing positions and also how it worked out for them? Money isnt an issue here, it's not more money I want here, it's better facilities.

It may sound bad but it depends how useful/good you are to the company. I used a similar line but it was more I'm not doing shift work for very much longer so they gave me more money and a 9-5 position, this was due the infrastructure plan I implemented which made them feel they needed me because of it. So if you feel you're in a bargaining position then by all means go for it, I actually would have quit if I was still on shift work, they just saw it as an ultimatum thankfully :)

PS. It all comes down to what makes you happy in the end, so if you're not happy in your current position let them know in a big way.

I suppose I have more bargaining power than most. My GF works for my boss in a different capacity extraneous to what I do, and I see the guy on a social level just about as much as I see him here. In fact, I see him more frequently on a social level than a professional one and knew him for about three years before I started here, so hmmmmnnnn. Fodder for thought.

Have a great weekend y'all.

K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Recently I have taken a 45% pay cut to join a company i really like. And it is everything I hoped ...almost.
    The pay differance is a huge factor and to be honest the grass is always greener on the other side.

unless you making your final career decision stay with the high paying job.

I told my boss in my last job innocently that another company had contacted me about a position and were offering more money. I really wasnt looking for anything but I had my performance bonuses raised...nice.... So maybe you should use the "other company" thing to try and force some issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Rella

Hmm, I think job satisfaction is the most important issue here so I would maybe use the other job as a lever to address some issues but be careful, they may call your bluff - as it has already been stated be sure that you are in a good bargaining position.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

If they need you they will bow to your demands if its something stupid like more coke machines they will let you go.

Dont think of it in a "does it make sense way" think of it in a "does it make money" way.

If your ideas etc: are good they would have been used by now unless your bosses are muppets.

I tried this before and it was in everyones best interest to do it my way but i lost out to my boss who sacked me then the company went bankrupt cos they never implemented the ideas i said and lost a large contract :D

So its a 50/50 if your boss is a dickhead then you may lose but if your ideas are that good why havent they been implemented???
    have you told them about them??

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

at the end of the day, you have decide what which job you want based on how much you want to earn, or how much you want to enjoy your work.

at the end of the day, unless you are working for love, or doing something artsy or doing a vocational job or something, you are never going to love your work. you may enjoy it from time to time, but in my own opinion, id rather work somewhere i was happier, rather somewhere i will earn more money.

simple as that.

Originally posted by KdjaC
    If your ideas etc: are good they would have been used by now unless your bosses are muppets.

kdjac

The *Boss* (singular) does not appreciate anyone telling him how his business could be made better. It's his way or no way. Imagine a work place where every business decision, big or small, has to get run past the managing director & owner for approval. The MD. Not your team leader, your sales manager, technical manager, office manager etc. Your MD who is in the office less than 30% a week. See the frustration?

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I have more or less decided to stay on, purely from a money point of view. Sure I mightent be as happy as I might be elsewhere but I am still better off in mo phóca. Now, just have to wangle these changes.

Advertisement