Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things not to say to get hired as a games dev.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

GRRR... links to links to links to links... at least give us an extract > frown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I'm sorry, that was mean... I'll just go to bed now.

hehehha/haHAAHAHHA£$"yoink!?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

She moved it! :/

http://www.happypuppy.com/features/bth/bth%2Dvol10%2D4.html
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    The top ten things to say to insure not getting hired in the industry
    Volume ten, issue 4
    January 24, 2000
    Jessica Mulligan

Everyone wants to work for a game company and make computer or video games. Why in God's name that is true for anyone who really knows anything about the business is beyond me. Okay, I do know; it is either the passion to create or because the thought of making games for a living just sounds too cool (and too easy; how tough can it be to make a game? Right. Har dee har har).

So it is inevitable that, whenever an entry-level development position opens up at a developer or publisher, dozens or even hundreds of resumes flow in, resulting in the need for many job interviews. We who are responsible for hiring new people dread these moments. Why? Because we know that we're going to interview multiple applicants, and almost all of them are going to be completely inappropriate for the position at hand.

And I do mean completely; there's nothing like sorting through 40 resumes and realizing that not one is right for the job, but that you'll interview at least three of them anyway because you've been ordered to fill the position by yesterday at the latest. So you interview, and the statements that can come out of the mouths of these babes in the woods can often be hysterical, but are always dead giveaways that the industry is attracting the same crowd that wanted to be a part of the French Revolution--after the fighting was over and guillotining had begun.

If you want to know what I'm talking about, just take a gander at the top-ten list below. To enhance your enjoyment of the list, know this:

Each and every one of these statements, near as I can remember the wording, was spoken by an actual job candidate at an interview.

With no further ado, the top ten things to say to insure not getting hired in the industry:

Number 10: "I've played some of your games. I've also been a dungeon master for ten years and I'm probably one of the top-ten DMs in the world. You guys really need me."

A 22 year-old floor clerk from CompUSA with no game design experience, applying for an entry-level design position.

Number 9: "I've never played your game, but I have a degree in screenwriting from UCLA."

A Hollywood script doctor applying for that same design position.

Number 8: "It's just dots of light on a screen; you can't take that too seriously, right?"

The former producer of a failed TV sitcom, showing why his TV show failed while trying to break into PC games through an entry-level producer position.

Number 7: "Well, technically, no, I've never actually programmed in C++ at work. But I've read the book and I play around with it at home all the time."

A Visual Basic programmer from a credit union IT department, applying for a software engineer position for which the job description clearly stated a minimum of two years or more of C++ experience, and whose resume claimed three years of such experience.

Number 6: "I should tell you up front that I'm a pacifist and won't work on code that has to do with guns or killing things."

An independent 3D engine programmer, applying for a position on a development team for the sequel of a world-famous, best-selling first-person shooter.

Number 5: "Passionate? You bet I'm passionate; just ask my wife. Hey, is that a job requirement?"

A somewhat confused applicant, when asked if he was "passionate about what he did." He was quickly assured that being passionate toward other team members was not a requirement, although a willingness to kiss ass was always appreciated.

Number 4: "Money, what else? If you aren't doing it for money, you're a moron."

An applicant, when asked why he wanted to work in the games industry. He may have a point, but he sure made it at the wrong time and place.

Number 3: "Of course, I'm qualified! You know, I'm a very good friend of the owner, and I don't think he'd like your attitude."

An applicant with no programming experience interviewing for a programming position, just as the company owner entered the conference room. To which the owner, who never met the man before the interview, replied, "I'll see that he hears about it instantly."

Number 2: "I told the recruiter during the phone call that I wasn't qualified for this, but she said it was good money for both of us and if I would just play one of your games, it would be obvious I was just as qualified as any designer here."

A would-be designer, interviewing with a lead designer to work on the sequel to a top-ten seller.

And the Number 1 thing to say to insure not getting hired in the industry is:

"I know my salary requirements are high, but so are you guys if you think the company's previous massively multiplayer online game was good."

A 19-year-old, second-year college student to a producer, a VP, and a lead engineer, asking for $150,000 a year to work as an entry-level tools programmer on a MMOG development project.
    </font>

Advertisement