Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VIA-KT400 Mobo Help

• 29-01-2003 1:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of upgrading my mobo - iv got an Abit kt7a with 512MB pc133 dimm,Amd 2000+ xp,

I was thinking of getting an mobo that uses the via KT400 chipset which will unlock my cpu 4 me to increase the fsb and unlock the multiplier ( wont it ) ?,Iv read some reviews of Abit,Asus,MSI,gigabyte boards and im not sure whitch 1 to go for,Also i dont need the mobo' with s-ata or raid of GLan.The kt400 has a 333MHz bus speed,would i notice any difference between that and the current 133MHz bus speed of the kt7a,

I was going to get some corsair DDR-DIMM 256MB pc2700 333MHz - But would that be faster than 512 pc 133 dimm ?

Also what speed would i be able to get with my 2000+ xp,Is 2GHz realistic ?

THX in Advance COMBATCOW

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭Ryo Hazuki

The KT400 is multi unlocked, but ive noticed its very unstable if changed, its far more stable to up the FSB.
    Im going to unlock mine soon.

The Abit KD7-Raid is good, it has LAN, Audio and AGP 8X and supports the new AthlonXP 3000+ Processor, thats where the 333 bus speed comes in to play.

The KD7 has 4 Ram slots so if you have plenty of space to upgrade, if you think 2 x 256mb would be faster than 1 x 512 then go for it, im not sure if it is though.

As for overclocking, Ive got My 1800+ at the Speed of a 2100+, so you will probably be able to get pretty good speeds, not 2hz without unlocking it though.

<edit> Oh I see you have SDRAM, The KD7 is DDR-RAM, and is your 2000+ Palomino?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Thx 4 the reply:

Yeah what i was saying is Would 512 sd ram be faster than 256 ddr ( i no the kd7 only supports ddr ) ? ,And my cpu is a 2000+ thoroughbred, What do u mean '' it's very unstable if changed '' u mean the multiplier of x13 on the chip.

you said : The KT400 is multi unlocked, but ive noticed its very unstable if changed, its far more stable to up the FSB.
    Im going to unlock mine soon, I thought the kt400 UNLOCKED the cpu ???:confused:

So what your saying is that you have your cpu at a multiplier of x13 and an increased fsb ?? what can you get it up to 200 or more ?

Soz 4 all the questions but what ddr ram are u using ?? and ur saying that the ( xp2000+, 266MHz Bus ) cpu will not benefit from the 333MHz Bus board.( my kt7a has a 133 Bus Is that holding the cpu back ? )

COMBATCOW :rolleyes:

The KD7 does not fully unlock the chip, mine is a 1800+ and the default multi is 11.5, anything above or below is unstable, this is only recenty Ive Noticed this, I was playing a LOT of Unreal and It crashed, I upped the multi again and it was even more unstable.

I have the same clock frequency with the standard 11.5 Multi and it has been perfect ever since, not one crash since then, about a week ago.

512 sd ram be faster than 256 ddr

Oh right sorry, 256mb would mean more swapping than the
    512 sdram, but games would be a lot faster due the the bandwidth increase.

I think 256 DDR Ram is only 46 euro now, so its pretty cheap to get 512.

But dont get 3200 DDR Ram for the KD7, I hear theres a problem with it at the moment but its being worked on.

What GFX Card are you thinking of getting, if you are getting a new card?
    Soz 4 all the questions but what ddr ram are u using ?? and ur saying that the ( xp2000+, 266MHz Bus ) cpu will not benefit from the 333MHz Bus board.( my kt7a has a 133 Bus Is that holding the cpu back ? )

The 2000+ has a 266bus so the 133bus probably is be holding it back the thoroughbred B chip has a 333bus, so the KD7 will support it and the Barton Chip.

Thx 4 the info,My current graphics card is an MSI GF4 TI4400 so im gonna be keepin that for a while.I was gonna get 333MHz memory but i dont know whitch make to get ( corsair,crucial ) i heard good things about crucial ram.Also on komplett thay have, 512 TwinMos 333MHz ddr for half the price of the other 2 above ,never herd of em could be a bit crappy ??

Cheers COMBATCOW

Yeah Crucial are the best I hear, but Im a bit in the dark as to why.

Why is it so much more expensive than say, TwinMos ram?

I went with generic memory for the price of it (it says twimmos on it though) and its just fine. I think I read it has something to do with the FSB, or am I completly wrong?

• Advertisement

Yeah i think your right,after reading posts on google groups the guys said that you cant up the front side bus as much with TwinMos ram,some guy's said bout 160 was the max they could get out of it.I was hoping to get 200 or more,but im not sure if i'll get 512 cas 2.5 133MHz,Or 256 166MHz cas 2,Not much in the price difference.Wot is your FSB speed set to ???

THX COMBATCOW

Advertisement