Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is your approach to design

Options
  • 29-01-2003 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Just Wondering?

I have a couple of new websites to begin at present. I find the inital design very slow.

My own approach is to find a nice looking layout/ structure to a website that i think works and then try and incorporate my own colours with a couple of little tricks of my own. So my question is.............

Who do your approach design?

A bolt from the blue?
    Lots of recreational drugs?
    Using standard templates?
    Following a rigorous structure?

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Depends if i want to do something original or simply another boil-in-the-bag site. If im going for originality, i'll decide what is going to be on the website and draw up a few different layouts in psp. No design specifics in it, just a load of boxes showing where everything could go. Then i'd build the site based on the layout and go where-ever er, inspiration takes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,001 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I start from the basics. Put all the information I want in a text file then start laying it out using "meaning" tags. After this I can write a stylesheet to figure out how these tags should be laid out on screen. It's a ground up process.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I'd take a similar approach to K.Oriordan, work out the info I need to display/navigation etc.

Only difference I'd take is I'd then pass my requirements over to a decent graphic designer (cos I'm useless at that bit).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Design it around what content needs to be put in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

Yea, like RC, there I generally do it on paper. I find it works better for me to get away from the computer because it's so slow, and you're more tempted just to rip off someone else's work.

I have a questionaire that I get a client to fill out asking them questions about their companie's image, sites they like, how they want the site ot be used and perceived etc...

Then I brainstorm: http://www.imagine.co.uk/design/design4.html
    This is with apiece of paper writing down ideas suggestions complete stream of consciousness stuff. This works better in a team. There is no idea too silly and no critiques during this. Ideas, themes & feels, & very rough sketches.

Once that's done then I go back throuh each idea and play around with it, see if it's useful or not and narrow it down.

Then I storyboard out typical users, and create the site map. I take a look at what content I have and know it as well as time allows.

Once I do that I list what elements are on each page. Now I have a good understanding of what's needed and lots of ideas about the design.

Slowly, then I work and try put them together. (o:

A designer lives or dies by designing a solution to a problem, it's the process that's the key. A good process will make a good designer great, and a bad process will make a good designer mediocre.

- Kevin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

I think up a design in my head, then write it down. Code the page, make some Crap graphics and then let a graphics designer edit them to my liking and then the sites ready :)

Advertisement