Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole trader?

Options
  • 29-01-2003 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,264 ✭✭✭

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

You can go to the companies registration office.... here and get more info from them, its pretty straight forward

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

Visit www.cro.ie to download the forms to register a business name. Costs thirty quid. You need form RBN01. You only need this if you are going to use a name other than your own. i.e. If your name is Joe Bloggs you do not need to register a bus name to trade as Joe Bloggs.

You may also put your trade after your name without registering it. So, if you are a decorator you can call your business 'Joe Bloggs Decorator' without registering the name. Or likewise if you are a film director 'Joe Bloggs Film Director' does not have to registered.

You will also need to register for VAT regardless of whether you are registering a trade name.

If you do register a trade name there are certain conditions which are listed on the CRO website. You cheque books will say Joe Bloggs T/A Abbey Decorators or whatever, where T/A stands for Trading As.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,370 ✭✭✭✭Victor

As to whether to use your own name, I think it all depends on your trade. What type of names do your competitors have? If all your competitors use their own names, then perhaps it is best to use your own name. Is your name prone to misspelling or likely to be confused with someone else?
    Originally posted by ballooba
    You will also need to register for VAT regardless of whether you are registering a trade name.
    You only need to register for VAT if your turnover exceeds a certain limit - see this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=78672

However, drop into your local revenue office or check out www.revenue.ie to fill in the details on PAYE / income tax and all the others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

A buddy of mine set up as a security company. As I recall, he said setting up was piss easy, but shutting down was pure hell. Something to think about?

Advertisement