Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The old ones were the best

Options
  • 20-12-2000 8:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi there Irish guys! I'm just putting in a post to tell you of my site. It's called SNESzone and is, well, everything you need to know about the games console that changed the face of video gaming forever. The site is UK-based but I'd like to have Irish people to have a peep or five at it or even to add to it. Post your messages about it on here.

http://sneszone.freeservers.com

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Get someone to teach you how to design a site.

After spammed with advert pop-ups and a Dialog box which I had to close, I just didn't bother looking at the site and won't be back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 antster_uk

Criticism accepted. I had a criticism from the start, saying that there's no need for a 'small' site from someone of Gamers.com, and I counter-attacked him by increasing the size of the site. Now everyone who mails me thinks my site is good and has good content, and they come from either side of the Atlantic.

I know that the dialog box problem puts people off from visiting the site and I accept that. I'll just put the frames page on the Freeservers thing and everything else on my ISP space, so the dialog box should only popup once and never again. I also hope to create a mainstream design that goes through the site. I'll keep posting updates.

You're asking me about the 'Welcome to SNESzone' popup box? This is the first time anyone has ever complained about it. If it annoys you so much then I'll take it off to stop many others following suit.

As for the ad popus, I've got space on my Madasafish ISP where no popup ads are, so after Chrimbo I'll rid of all but noe of those.

If you have ICQ then you can talk to me on: 97175669.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

The design on your site is fairly bad sorry to say frown.gif lose the frames and the backround colour on the wanted page is yucky smile.gif maybe you should get a chart with all the colour codes

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Sure it only opens once if you leave it open but I don't like adverts cluttering up my screen and it pops up every ****ing time I click a link.

Not to mention wtf is the "Welcome to SNESZone" dialog box in aid of? It serves no purpose except to annoy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

I don't mind the frames so much, but if you're using frames, at least make them non-resizable and borderless.

The font looked a tad yucky in my browser, and the colour scheme is seizure educing stuff. (try some softer colours and think about contrast between the background and text)
    Choose a colour scheme and stick to it, different pages with different background colours are just rotten.

Marquees are widely considered 'tacky', but if you must use one, try a smaller font size.

The graphics are... well... there.
    But they jut seem to be floating over a green background, and just don't seem to 'fit'.

The web host is a tad cràp (and slow), pop-up banners are a big no-no, and I'll steer away from sites that have them.

But hey, I'm sure we've all been there smile.gif

redface.gif Of course we've all been there. As I said before on a previous post, I'll work out a good colour scheme in the new year. As for the frames, if you know how to make them non resizeable using Frontpage 2000 I'd like to know how. My ICQ number is above.

Funnily enough, no-one seems to have mentioned anything about the content of the site. tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

actually santa, I prefer a pop-up banner (once and small) to that stupid 1/3 of the main page banner they plaster across the top that puts your page into a frame so stupid javascript sliding menus don't bloody well work after you spent ages working out how to make one.

*******$ , the lot of them....

www.brinkster.com are pretty good so far though (no ads)

ricky.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

big plus seems to be the amount of content in the site, not that i'd know one end of a snes from the other, or would bother reading all the reviews, but it looks like alot of time was spent putting it all in.

make the changes you've said above and you'll have a decent enough design.

and don't mind hobbes, he complains about everything smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Design: Baaaaaad
    Content: Goooood (-ish)
    Hosting service: Bruuuuuutal
    Needs: Wooooorrk (and a move to a new host)

Oh, and get rid of the popup javascript and ads. Seriously. They're just annoying.

bard2.gif

• Advertisement

Got rid of the popup that says 'Welcome to SNESzone' and the index is no longer resizeable. As for moving to a new host, tell me a good hosting place and I'll take it into to consideration (except Eircom as I can't register as a user being outside Ireland).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Frodo@work

it looks like a subutio pitch

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 dr_bob

I like the site...good content(bit to much of the colour green though).It certainly gets a bookmark from me wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by antster_uk:
    As for moving to a new host, tell me a good hosting place and I'll take it into to consideration (except Eircom as I can't register as a user being outside Ireland).</font>

Even Geocities (http://geocities.yahoo.com) are better than the host you're currently using...

bard2.gif

I know that Geocities only have 15MB of space, and Freeservers have 20MB, but f**k them - I'll be moving everything onto my ISP account so there'll only be one Popup box ever when you connect to my site. I'm currently designing a fresh new look to the site, so everything has pretty much the same design and colours throughout. wink.gif Are Fortunecity any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Harass Gambler at netshop.ie ... he may help you out smile.gif

I would have recommended Gibworld.com, but they're shutting down for now... rumour has it that they'll be back around February though.

- Munch
    gibskull2.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Are Fortunecity any good?[/B]</font>
    No, they're even worse than Geocities, and they'll send you an ungodly amount of spam.

There is now a new design on the site, and I've started to move everything to my Madasafish account, so there will only be one ever popup ad. Once you close it then no more will popup. Ever. wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

that adds thing is crap firstly
    whats taking the page so long to load up ?
    this page is taking ages to load . na im not gona let it load any further go build a new one and put killer instinct in the site

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

Yeah, you're right. It does load slowly. I said I'd get rid of all but one of the popup ads, and I've done just that. It takes so long to load up because the sneszone.freeservers.com/index.html is now just a frmes page that links to my Madasafish account, hence the virtual banishing of the popups. The link will take a bit of time, I'll admit that, but you have to go a long long way to get a good well laid out site (thanks to suggestions from this bulletin board, don't you agree?). I'm thinking about trying to register for a domain name, to get rid of all popups forever and to increase the speed. And Killer Instinct review is back up again. I hope to get some pics soon...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

why dont u put up some emulators and games there

what type of world will we live in when there is no world ?

I might put up some game and emulators in the future, I'm currently thinking about that.

Also, at last, SNESzone is being listed in Yahoo! UK & Ireland after nearly a year of trying. They say it'll appear at the next update... smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Paladin

Perhaps if you moved away from Frontpage?
    HTML isnt hard to learn. It actually much easier than potty training.

Tidy up that links bar on the left - use capitals for a start. Basically if it was a little more professional LOOKING, the content is enough to make it a nice little site.

Emulator would be nice too. And then if your game reviews had a link to a downloadable emulator version of the game (the arcade ones anyway) weh smile.gif

I haven't got the time to learn HTML. I'll stick with FP2000 for the moment.

So you want emulation eh? If I get 100 replies saying that emulation is the way forward then I'll put emulators and ROMs on the site. smile.gif

SNESzone now has its own mailing list. Join it at http://sneszone.uk.listbot.com. tongue.gif

Advertisement