Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADSL Eircom Vs Via Networks?

Options
  • 29-01-2003 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Hey,

Am about to get an adsl line installed. Have been offered the 1mb/256 deal from both Eircom and ViaNetworks. Both are roughly the same price (mite be 10euros in it) But was wondering if anyone had any opinions on which wud give a better service/perfomance, contention etc...?

With the advant of Eircoms €49 adsl package are the adsl exchanges likely to become overloaded? ie huge contention ? the impression i got from vianetworks was that they mainly deal with corporate clients not residential... is this a good thing ?

Also anyone know if vdsl or adsl+ is available in dublin?

Cheers

synkro

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭Synkronite

Synkro Mini-me?

I can only get eircom adsl -- which I will be next month :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Synkronite
    I can only get eircom adsl -- which I will be next month :D
    VIA's ADSL should be available everywhere that Eircom's is since they use Eircom's bitstream wholesale service. If not, VIA and ComReg would be mighty interetested to hear from you.

There should be little difference in performance between Eircom and VIA save for the terms of service (i.e. cap or lack thereof).

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Synkro

hmmm.

so would i be right in thinking that the whole idea of the adsl reselling process is that different vendors put their own servers into the various adsl eircom exchanges then offer ipconnectivity from there?

So say vendor 'A' has a server in exchange 'xyz' and in turn offers ip conectivity to his residential clients via the copper pair using dsl.

If so, wud it then be possible to get a 1:1 contention to the server box in the exchange, and the 'bottleneck' wud then begin where the server box connects to the internet pipe?

Surely then it wudnt be too hard to offer 1mb/256 1:1, if a big enuf pipe was available at the exchange? Esat Bt will install a 2mb dsl line for €400pm is this the practical speed limit for dsl ?

Cheers.

Synkro

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭longword

Originally posted by Synkro
    so would i be right in thinking that the whole idea of the adsl reselling process is that different vendors put their own servers into the various adsl eircom exchanges then offer ipconnectivity from there?
    Nope. At least not wholesale bitstream access which is how VIA are offering a service.

ESAT took a different approach called ULMP (Unbundled Local Metalic Path). Basically they rent direct access to the wires going to your house. They're still Eircom's wires, but ESAT get to use them however they see fit. ESAT engineers install ESAT equipment straight into the exchange. ESAT have to provide their own uplink (or rent one from Eircom) from each exchange to wherever the data needs to go. If ESAT want to offer a 1:1 service using SDSL, that's up to them.

The wholesale bitstream approach keeps Eircom in the picture a bit longer. Eircom installs Eircom equipment in the exchange. Eircom provide a 24:1 contended uplink from the exchange to one of a handful of concentration points. It's then up to the ISP to provide the uplink from each concentration point they're using back to their Network Operations Centre, and from there to the internet. Eircom pick the speeds on offer and the contention ratio. Both parameters will mirror the offerings from eircom.net. It is possible for the ISP to buy a block of 24 ports, use only one of them, and thus get 1:1 but that's insanely expensive. Last I heard, the installation charge was €4,800 for a block of 24 ports plus €150 per subscriber, and the rental was €720 per block of 24 ports plus €49 per 1Mbit customer. And don't forget that those numbers are wholesale, excluding VAT, and excluding any kind of connection to the internet.
    Surely then it wudnt be too hard to offer 1mb/256 1:1, if a big enuf pipe was available at the exchange? Esat Bt will install a 2mb dsl line for €400pm is this the practical speed limit for dsl ?
    That's a 20:1 contended service BTW. How fast you get depends on how far, and how bad the wires are. It's said that much of Eircom's wires, while great for voice, is pretty bad for DSL. The G.dmt specification, which most modems and DSLAMs ahere to, goes up to an 8Mbit downstream, and tweaks to the spec go up to 12Mbit.

Advertisement