Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FireWire-to-USB Cable

• 29-01-2003 8:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭

Hi. I got an iPod and was wondering if it is possible to get a Firewire to USB converter cable? If not why not???

I need this cable so that I can use my iPod as a removeable harddrive in college...
    thanks
    --GrahaMon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭maxheadroom

Just use it on a Mac - all macs from the original imac up will have a firewire port.

I looked into this a while back, and couldn't find any kind of a converter. I think it is something to do with the way t6he protocols are designed - USB is designed as a "burst" protocol, whereas firewire was designed for streaming.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by maxheadroom
    Just use it on a Mac - all macs from the original imac up will have a firewire port.

I assume he doesn't have a Mac in college, so that isn't very heplful.

I looked into getting an iPod, but decided not to for this very reason. I have no problem getting a firewire card for my PC, but I'd also like to use it with my machines in work (USB only).

That is why I prefer USB 2, hi speed yet backwards compatible with USB. The Archos Jukebox use USB 2, but they are much heavier and larger then the iPod.

If you could combine the best features of these two devices, then it would be the perfect mp3 player, come on Apple

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

There is a new Zen out in the States which has USB2, but I don't think it has been released over here yet. Might be worth waiting for...

Zab.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

Should be a note at the begining of writing a post saying to check google first Google Search: "firewire to usb"

Firewire to USB cable

Also the zen needs to be hacked a bit to make it as a portable h/d.

Get an archos jukebox instead if ya want a good portable harddisk/mp3player. Plays divx's aswell, I'm well impressed with my one.

Originally posted by bk
    I assume he doesn't have a Mac in college, so that isn't very heplful.

I think I remember him saying he's in TCD (on another thread over in IOFFL - could be very very wrong though), and there's tons of macs there (and they're always easier to get hold of than the PCs).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Chaos - have you considered bluetooth for this?
    Blue tooth usb -> mobile phone -> infra red import to PC?
    bit far fetched - just curious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

the zen comes with software ' file manager' or similar, which you can use it as a HD .. not as a G: drive or anything, you can copy and paste files into and from this etc.

Originally posted by hussey
    the zen comes with software ' file manager' or similar, which you can use it as a HD .. not as a G: drive or anything, you can copy and paste files into and from this etc.

But, how likely is it that he can install this software on college computers?

Dunno if you can run notmad explorer off a floppy though - but I'd guess not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

yeah but you need software to install the ipod no??
    as I don't think its plug+play

Originally posted by hussey

There is a 3rd party firmware upgrade that makes it plug and play :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Originally posted by PPC
    Should be a note at the begining of writing a post saying to check google first Google Search: "firewire to usb"

Firewire to USB cable

I believe this site is incorrect, it would be very difficult to make a Firewire to USB cable and it would certainly cost more then £5.

USB and Firewire use completely different technology, in order to transfer from one to the other you would need a box in the middle with a processor (integrated chip) and buffer memory and even with that I don't know if it would work.

Get an archos jukebox instead if ya want a good portable harddisk/mp3player. Plays divx's aswell, I'm well impressed with my one.

The reason why the Zen and Archos are so much heavier and larger then the iPod, is because they use standard 2.5" laptop hard-drives (which is good for upgradability - the Zens hd can be replaced with a 60 gig hd :D - but you void your warranty).

On the other hand the iPod uses a very special Toshiba 1.8" hd. This is where the iPods weight and size saving comes from. Unfortunately Toshiba is the only company that makes these hd and it seems the Apple has an exclusive license for them with Tosh :mad:

I look forward to the day when this license ends or other hd companies start making similar hd and we see iPod like devices coming from Archos and Creative, there really is a massive market here for these, come on Western Digital, Seagate, etc. get your finger out.

Originally posted by bk
    The reason why the Zen and Archos are so much heavier and larger then the iPod, is because they use standard 2.5" laptop hard-drives (which is good for upgradability - the Zens hd can be replaced with a 60 gig hd :D - but you void your warranty).

Yeah i just put a 40Gb into my 10Gb archos mmjb and copying stuff onto it at the moment. Twas nice and handy except I used Partition magic and it made my h/d a ext dos partition so i had to fdisk and start again.

Should be ok now tho \o/

Advertisement