Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

space trading games

Options
  • 22-01-2001 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

I saw X-Beyond the Frontier going for 5.99 in one o the shops in town, can't remember which though, probably Game or EB.

The expansion pack is called X-Tension by the way Blitzie smile.gif

sig.JPG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Theres supposed to be a new elite game in the works:
    http://www.frontier.co.uk/
    by david baraben.

I suggest you look towards www.netdevil.com
    This is a massively mutliplayer online elite clone. So you have all the trading, no linearity, plenty of cool story line (just got that going in a big way) and all that fun of upgrading your status and ship; but with real players. How cool is that?

Unfortunately its in beta, but they're letting in 500 every week or so and it should go gold soon enough. I play it everynight now.

Forgot to mention its called Jumpgate - theres a 6 month old preview on playerofgames.com.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

ok, myself and AMP have been looking for a good space trading game for ages.
    somewhere along the lines of elite or privateer 2. but without the linear sort of story bit. basically an up to date elite with missions that can be chosen.
    is there any such game. AM_ says he bought a game called x-gold, but i cant find it. suppose to be part of the elite group. i dont believe him though smile.gif
    i dont want to buy freespace coz although it may be good, its only 20 missoins or somiething, and i want to be ablet o bugger about theplace and buy weapon upgrades and cargo holds and all that really nice space tradery stuff.
    er, and of course, any other good games would be welcome. by the way, does any one want to sell me a copy of AOK?

ahh, ive just figured out that its x-beyond the frontier.
    ok, anyone want to sell it to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Actually the best space-trading-kill-em-all-and-their-children-as-well games is terminus.
    Which funnily enough is multiplayer if u have cable or isdn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

X-beyond the frontier has the sort of linear story you were trying to avoid. Sure you can fly around trading like in elite, but if you stick to that you won't find much combat. Also when you build your own factories they make far too much money for you so you end up just flying around looking for things to buy. Once you complete the game thats pretty much it though, there's fluff all to do after.

There's an extension pack (x-behind the frontier again?) that's supposed to improve the gameplay but I've heard it doesn't go far enough.

There's an "online-elite" currently in beta - I'll post the link when I go home - but I'm dubious about how good it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

couldn't find the link frown.gif

I had it in a file but deleted it and uncharactistaclly emptied the reclyce bin frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Terminus is good, but the limit of players of the server makes it a little sucky. That and it's horribly easy to get cash in it.

There is actually a MMO-Space Sim out called "Mankind". Some French company made it.

It's pay to play like UO+EQ

here is a review on it (not sure if it's a fair one).

http://www.lumthemad.net/news/1556.php

Many of the current Jumpgate testers played and paid with Mankind. They totally slated it as the buggiest, most poorly developed mmorpg ever. Upgrades patches improvements... barely any. Took most a month to leave. Jumpgate really is the best space mmog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Greenbean:
    Unfortunately its in beta, but they're letting in 500 every week or so and it should go gold soon enough. I play it everynight now.</font>

i've just signed up to it. does it really look like that??? hopefully i'll get that e-mail soon......... smile.gif .........hopefully........

<edit> bah it's ok </edit>
    glassesprv.gif
    Sweeet

[This message has been edited by Q_Ball (edited 24-01-2001).]

• Advertisement

what about fargate, is that any cop?

Qball: Yeah it looks great. You stand a far far far better chance of getting invited to the beta if you get cosy on their ubb board. Digitus, Scorch, Iceman, Piza are the developers (off the top of my head, 2 more I'm forgetting). Digitus is your key.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I-War 2 is due out in summer which looks good, but I heard fargate is a bit crappy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

x beyond the frontier is a good laugh , picked it up for a fiver in eb. The expansion pack is even better though , lets you buy bigger and better ships. Can get a bit boring flying about and trading, though if thats what you want then x-btf is for you.

Advertisement