Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

world war 2 online yay or nay!

Options
  • 28-01-2001 3:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

Calling all gamers!

I was just wondering if anyone else is phyked as i am about world war ii online.
    Just think you could be playing with hundreds of gamers online either in infrantry or as a pilot etc... theres so many possibilities. But i that since theres so much rivalry that the Quake lads will be on the opposing team to us UT lads.
    Just a thought!

ltr!!
    Raife!! smile.gif

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Em, never heard of it but from what you say it sounds good smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh seen pictures and previews of this looks good but its gonna take a ninja pc to play it by the looks of things

Draffodx
    Out of desparition courage is born

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Trev

I've never heard of it either but it sounds pretty damn good.

Are there any url's?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭pertinax

it looks good but it could at least cost 120 quid a year
    possibly up to 200 if you look at the prices thrown around on their websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

thousands of ppl in the same game = lots o lag

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Raife

Hey!

The web address if your interested is www.wwiionline.com .It ****es me off about the lag there'll be, but i'm gonna use a net cafe to play it if i do becaause the place i use has a 500k line so the lag hopefully wont be too bad.Anywho check out the website if you have'nt seen it, it shows some wire frame models which look pretty savage.

ltr!!
    Raife!! smile.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

it depends on the way the game is done, if its sensibly designed, you can easily fit quite a large number of gamers into the same game, take alliegance for instance, the fact that the fighting rages over different 'zones' connected by warpgates, means that although the number of players on each team can be quite large, they never actually all end up in the same game area. i dunno what way they'll organise ww2 online, but i'd think there'll be a number of linked battles going on, rather than 1 big massive playable area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

That game looks amazing! Wonder if it will all work out like they say it is supposed to. I hope so.

If you didnt see this then its a fictional story of what the game might be like to play. Kewl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Raife

Pretty Kick ass huh!

ltr!!
    Raife!! smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Maybe different transports could seperate areas. Such as chinooks transport across water, and trucks by land. They could work on the same portal technique used in Allegiance, albiet replacing the portals with the various transports.
    This is all of course nonsense as it is going to be a good half a decade before we see a simulation that tries to accurately represent WWII online with a degree of success.

I've seen some ****ed up **** in my time here: ani_u_tan_kun.gifThunderingMike ani_marco.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Jelvon

umm mike , chinooks across water ?? if I am not mistaken I thought helicopters were not about during ww2 wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

Worst-case scenario

1 server
    10 players

Every second the players send one data packet to the server and the server returns to each player the data about each other player.

So server receives data from 10 players and transmits 9 to each player thus load on server is:
    P = number of players
    P*1 + P(p-1) e.g. 10 + 10(9) = 100
    => P(p+1-1) = p*p (i.e. p squared).

This is bad. It's O(n2).

100 clients will mean a load of 10,000 on the server. So working from this assumption without some pretty funky optomisations the number of people you can have on your server isn't really about their bandwidth (it just needs to increase by p) but about the server bandwidth (for example Anarchy Online is figuring out how many people it can have on one server not by how advanced their technology is but how much bandwidth they can afford to pay for, for one server).

Typically of course you won't have all the players in one area at one time if you plan it well BUT it is going to limit how much you can do with the gameplay. You cannot for example re-create a private ryan scene with 1000 people battling each other. There are other things that can be done too, broadcast proxy servers; zones of importance (eg someone behind three other people is of no importance to you - so you don't need updates about them) and so on - but these all effect gameplay to some degree. You won't find quake/quake3 style accurate combat. Note that in quake its not often you meet 5plus people in one area - thats because maps are designed that way.

Advertisement