Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why is 'Pro Wrestling' in the Sport section?

• 30-01-2003 9:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭

This isn't a sport is it? Shouldn't this be in the 'Arts/Theater' section?

Comments

It should be in all 3 as it is art it is theater and it is a sport .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Because the people involved are athletics maybe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

why do people who dont like wrestling constantly post here going "its not real","its not a sport" well duh were not stupid,to each their own, stop wasting yours and our time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭xx

Yeah, I can really see it in the arts/theatre section. Picture it now, HHH quoting "alas poor rock, I knew him well. He was crap"

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Jimmy Joe Joe

Because there’s no “Guys In Tights Pretending To Fight” section!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

why do people who dont like wrestling constantly post here going "its not real","its not a sport" well duh were not stupid,to each their own, stop wasting yours and our time.

totally agree... Its fantastic entertainment... These guys and girls who do it are incrediblay acrobatic.

I think alot of people like gymnastics... A friend of mine once descriped it as its gymnastics with Violence introduced.

and throw in torrie wilson and stacy keibler

we watch it the same way we'd watch an action movie

visual effects, women and a small story line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭herbie747

Wow "PH01". You're so original and clever.

You don't see any of us on the Gay Incest Scat pages, so keep off ours.

For the record: these guys are better athletes than anyone in the sports you watch.

I bet he's on the 'roleplay' forum boasting about how he was over here "completely messing with our minds"!
    "I told them it was fake. They never saw it coming. They didn't know what to do. I'm so mad!"

Why is it in the sports section then, if its not a sport?
    Dipsh*t.

Look at the really sad thread that he started:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&postid=731630#post731630

Yeah man. I can drink more than you. I spend €500 on a night out. "I wannabe cool and accepted. Now I think I'll slag off some threads that actually have a point".
    He's probably a security guard for a womens shoe shop in the Ilac centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Oh my god,
    Why do we even tolerate these inbred spoiled little rich boy ocks... How sad they all are. You see we keep to our selves and then these little head-fuks decide: "A-huch-huck-huck, I'm sa gonna post me a really funny letta-ma-thing on them der wresaling ma call it board, cos Im a really cool, ah-Huck!"

Fuck these little bitches, Im going off to post messages about men running around in little shorts on the GAA board...

FIA
    FTW
    FETUSF

and if you dont know what that means... ;)

HANZA!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Hanza

Im sick of all these clown-shoes posting **** on "OUR" board. Some of you may have seen that post, "what is pro wrestling doing in the sports section"?

WANNA SEE OUR REVENGE?

Go to the GAA board...

They insult us.... :)
    We insult them.... :D

(I understand if some of you are not to happy with my actions, but Im not gonna sit here quietly and take this **** from them)

FIA, FTW...

Hanza!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Lads please dont start anything like this cause its me whos going to get the flak. just ignore the idiots, I delete most of their threads but every now and again its good to leave one up for you to vent :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Im going to remove that thread in GAA by hanza

I know it does not reflect on anyone other than hanza
    but his comments do not reflect the thoughts of GAA supporters

Im not the biggest fan of Wrestling. even if it does have several similarities to gaa ( the whole amateur dramatics form colm corkery this year to prove my point)

I do like to watch a bit of smack down on sky one...but where is the rock gone ? he was always my favourite...after hacksaw jim duggan that is !

Anywho Hanza....Please dont post on the GAA board unless you want to talk about the subject of GAA. If you have a problem with a certain individual(s) please report him/her to a mod or something like that

Happy wrestling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

So is it alright to slag wrestling in this thread or not ? I'm a little confused.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by Canaboid
    So is it alright to slag wrestling in this thread or not ? I'm a little confused.

I don't see why not, as long as your argument has some sort of solid, fact-based foundation. Of course, I'm not the moderator here.

While we all know Pro Wrestling (WWE, etc.) is as fake as Jordan's breasts, I, for one, think they should try to make it a tad more realistic and make the storylines a bit less far-fetched but maybe thats just me.

Pro Wrestling is an entertaining visual spectacle mainly aimed at young males... simple as that. On the subject matter at hand, Pro Wrestling is in the sport section because it's the closest fit, basically. No matter how athletic the combatants are, it's clearly NOT a sport as there is no actual competition involved, with it being tightly controlled, scripted and choreographed - but because of it's similarity to the actual sport of wrestling, and because of their athleticism (and perhaps the fact that it's aired on Sky Sports), the Sports section is the most appropriate for it. Bitching about it's location in the boards hierarchy is like a broken pencil... - pointless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

'Pro Wrestling' isn't a sport because it's not real wrestling. And where's the sport in these show 'fights'?

I'd like to see how long one of these so called 'Pro Wrestlers' would last against a real wrestler. They would tie any of those 'Pro' boys into knots.

Now I've nothing against 'Pro' wrestling, I just don't think it is a sport.

Yeah like Olympic Gold medalist and NCAA Champ Kurt Angle
    Multiple time UFC champ Ken Shamrock, Tank Abbot,Ron Waterman NCAA Champ Brock Lesnar, Wrestling Champions Shelton Benjamin and Charlie Haas,National Judo champ Doug Williams the list goes on and on. and pro Wrestling is NOT a "Sport" in traditional terms as there is no up front competition between the two wrestlers but it IS one of the most intensive forms of athletisism. See the thing is, to become a "Pro" Wrestler all trainee's are taught how to "Shoot" (Go for real) in case a situation turns ugly in the ring, it also helps them make their stuff in the ring look that little bit better if they know how to do if for real. We dont watch wrestling to say "Ohh hes a tough dude" or whatever cause its a given anyway and i garauntee a simple back bump would make you change your mind completley about pro wrestling. We watch it to be entertained and one of the biggest pains in the ass are people like you.
    Im not a football or a GAA fan, but you dont see me over in those forums or whatever taking the piss out of anything to do with the sports. If you dont like wrestling thats fine just dont tell us about it.
    Thanks for coming over Alany and smoothing things over And bard im still convinced you are a closet wrestling fan cause you are always around!;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Originally posted by bombidol
    And bard im still convinced you are a closet wrestling fan cause you are always around!;)

Nothing 'closet' about it.

I'm "always around" because I'm online all day in work. I watch WWE occasionally with my younger brother. It's a good laugh with a few beers and a curry. I wouldn't class myself as a "fan" though, as I don't know very much about it and I don't go out of my way to watch it. Will be too busy to watch it tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Jimmy Joe Joe

What exactly do you mean by “real wrestler”? Because if you mean an amateur wrestler, then I should note that the WWE, for example contains several atjletes with amateur backgrounds. To name a few-Charlie Haas (former state champion high school wrestler), Shelton Benjamin (heavyweight state champion his junior and senior years, a four-time All-American and 1996 NJCAA Champion) , Brock Lesnar (NJCAA Champion in 1998 and Big 10 Championship winner x 2 , NCAA runner up, NCAA heavyweight title winner) and Kurt Angle ( {just a few} High school state champion, NCAA Champion, 1996 Olympics-220-POUND FREESTYLE OLYMPIC GAMES GOLD MEDAL WINNER).

Almost EVERY WWE trainee/talent has an amateur wrestling background, with Kurt Angle saying that people like Chris Benoit could be an Olympic medal winner (you know-best in the world?) with about a year of training.

So if what you meant was that Pro Wrestlers have no ‘wresling’ ability, then I suggest you look around and research some facts before talking out of your southern orifices’.

Originally posted by PH01
    'Pro Wrestling' isn't a sport because it's not real wrestling. And where's the sport in these show 'fights'?

I'd like to see how long one of these so called 'Pro Wrestlers' would last against a real wrestler. They would tie any of those 'Pro' boys into knots.

Now I've nothing against 'Pro' wrestling, I just don't think it is a sport.

yeah its not a sport, but it still has athletics, and I think its grand if you slag off wrestling, once you have a valid argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭Washout

Pro Wrestling is an entertaining visual spectacle mainly aimed at young males... simple as that. On the subject matter at hand, Pro Wrestling is in the sport section because it's the closest fit, basically. No matter how athletic the combatants are, it's clearly NOT a sport as there is no actual competition involved, with it being tightly controlled, scripted and choreographed - but because of it's similarity to the actual sport of wrestling, and because of their athleticism (and perhaps the fact that it's aired on Sky Sports), the Sports section is the most appropriate for it. Bitching about it's location in the boards hierarchy is like a broken pencil... - pointless.

I agree with Bard on this one.... I personally love watching it. and it is technically classified as "sports Entertainment" so this is the closest "fit"...your hardly going to find it under Arts now are you?

• Advertisement

The term Sports entertainment was created by WWE to create a niche for itself, so it wouldnt have to have this very argument. but what you have to remember is that for a long long time, Pro Wrestling was beleived to be "Real" all over the world, sure there were a few unbelievers but thats why i mentioned that all trainees have to learn to shoot, incase one of these unbeleivers decided to chance their arm, they would have lost the use of it.
    Its like Santa or the tooth fairy, now that the "magic" is gone people start to pick it apart, "should we be lying?" but i feel that the work ethic of the wrestlers is more appreiciated now than it was back in the day. like i said before, valid arguments are welcome here, because at the end of the day there is no winner to this conversation, it comes down to personal taste, but if people want to debate the validity of the business then work away but comments like "I'd like to see how long one of these so called 'Pro Wrestlers' would last against a real wrestler. They would tie any of those 'Pro' boys into knots." are just ignorant and are not welcome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭PH01

Originally posted by Jimmy Joe Joe
    What exactly do you mean by “real wrestler”? Because if you mean an amateur wrestler, then I should note that the WWE, for example contains several atjletes with amateur backgrounds. To name a few-Charlie Haas (former state champion high school wrestler), Shelton Benjamin (heavyweight state champion his junior and senior years, a four-time All-American and 1996 NJCAA Champion) , Brock Lesnar (NJCAA Champion in 1998 and Big 10 Championship winner x 2 , NCAA runner up, NCAA heavyweight title winner) and Kurt Angle ( {just a few} High school state champion, NCAA Champion, 1996 Olympics-220-POUND FREESTYLE OLYMPIC GAMES GOLD MEDAL WINNER).

Didn't know that - I stand corrected. Are these guys in the majority?
    Almost EVERY WWE trainee/talent has an amateur wrestling background, with Kurt Angle saying that people like Chris Benoit could be an Olympic medal winner (you know-best in the world?) with about a year of training.

I say he'd have to do some real serious training to compete for his weight devision.
    So if what you meant was that Pro Wrestlers have no ‘wresling’ ability, then I suggest you look around and research some facts before talking out of your southern orifices’.

I wasn't questioning their wrestling ability. My dog has wrestling ability (and he's cràp at it), but I wouldn't call him a wrestler (I wonder would anyone pay to see wrestling dogs?).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

yeah Ied pay to see that. but there would have to be an added edge...maybe we could strap knives to their paws

Most workers in the Major companys around the world have Shoot credentials(sp?) like i said a lot of the big companys are only hiring guys with legitimate history because they want the business to look more legitimate. If they can say thats a National Judo Champion, a UFC Champion and an Olympic Gold medalist in there it sounds and looks a lot better than just saying "Great competitors" but thats not to say that the guys without medals and championships etc arent excellent fighters, like Angle said Chris Benoit could be an Oympic Champion with a years basic training ( eg. Rules, Legal holds etc) Now we have a generation of Crossover wrestlers/MMA'ers look at Bob Sapp, hes the biggest thing in Japan at the moment , Bar None. Hes a former NFL player, a Pro Wrestler and a great MMA guy, hes beaten the K1 Grand Prix Champion in a shoot fight for gods sake , there are a lot of guys all over the business doing crossover, Sasuke, Kendo Ka Shin the list goes on and on, and lets not forget Antonio Inoki, Hes the man who Permanatly injured Mohammad Ali in a Shoot fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭whosurpaddy

the most famous of these is goldberg. a former nfl footballer who went on to have the biggest winning streak in pro wrestling history in wcw.

out of interest was inoki/ali a shoot? i didnt no that

Twas a shoot alright, I have it on DVD too,:)

Advertisement