Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panasonic Mini DV Digital Camcorder

Options
  • 30-01-2003 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭

I've got one of these at home and I'm wondering does anyone know is it possible to hook it up to my PC and transfer video clips onto the PC and eventually onto CD ? And how difficult/expensive this would be ?

I have connected them for downloading stills onto my PC but would like to put video onto cd's and I'm pretty sure this connection won't do anything other than stills. I'm thinking a USB might to the trick

I don't have the model number on me @ the moment but will post latter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

My sister got a digital camcorder for Christmas. There's no great issue in transferring to PC, but she did have to use the supplied USB connection/software. That said, it was a Sony model, so I'm not 100% sure about your model. I presume there is a USB port on the cam? If so, make sure you activate that in your setup menu on the cam.

An annoying thing with the Sony model was that audio would transfer only on OSes Win ME, Win 2000, and Win XP. Win98 SE was not supported. Transferring to CD is a doddle, just try and save it in a common format such as *.avi.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

You might be able to use Firewire either. Depends on your camera really. Your computer will have to have a USB 2.0 or Firewire port too. Apart from that it should be easy enough. Although you will need software, like Ulead Video Studio or similar, maybe some came with the camera?

HTH

• Registered Users Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Whats the difference between a USB port and a USB 2.0 port , and if I need one of these how much is it likely to set me back ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Well I don't think USB 1.1 would be fast enough to transfer digital video of DV quality. More than likely though if the camera connects via USB it'll be USB 2.0 which is much faster than USB 1.1 - around 20 times as fast. It's more common for DV Cameras to use Firewire which is similar in speed to USB 2.0.

If your PC doesn't have USB 2.0, all you'd need to do would be buy a USB2.0 PCI card for your PC e.g. http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=25952&t=&l=&AvdID=1&CatID=&GrpID=&s=sr

If you post the model of the camera I can check to make sure...

The camera is a Panansonic NV-DS11B and came with software called DV - Studio (I think). There is a connection on the front of it called a "i. LINK" which I suspect is where I'd connect with my PC.

Thanks for the help lads and keep it coming , please !!

• Advertisement

Ah! "I.link" is the same as "Firewire" or technically they're known as IEEE1394. So, you need a firewire card and a firewire cable - shouldn't be that expensive.

Here's a very good value card I just saw on komplett;
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?action=info&p=21537&t=&l=&AvdID=1&CatID=&GrpID=&s=sr

It even includes the Ulead Video Studio software which is quite good for beginners. Or you can use the software you got with the camera, whichever you prefer. Eitherway if you don't have a firewire card in your PC then you need this card and a Firewire cable - and that's it!

The Firewire cable you'll need is a 4pin - 6pin, they're fairly standard leads, you can get them in Peats or most computer stores.

I've priced a firewire port in PC Superstore in Galway this morning @ €140. It's a Belkin one with software included.

That's way too expensive! I hate it when places do this. The one from Komplett should be fine or, look around your other computer stores. You should be able to find one for under €50 no problem...

I'm gonna purchase this one :

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?act...ID=&GrpID=&s=sr

As "Michael Collins" has said it sounds great value . Unfortunately its not in stock at the moment , I presume if i place the order now it will be shipped when it comes in.

As well as that the only shipping method that seems to be available is DHL which is €11 (Not an awful lot I know) but I am trying to keep costs to a minimum , is this the only shipping method ?

MC , thanks very much for your words of wisdom !!

I'll let you know how I get on with it !!

Well I finally got the video editing card :

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?act...ID=&GrpID=&s=sr

I stuck it into my PC last night and hooked it up the camera , it detected my Panasonic camcorder no problem but the software is defaulting to my web cam instead of the DV camcorder. I din't have long to play around with it last night but hopefully will sort it tonight !!

• Advertisement

Okay , now I have captured video from my camcorder onto my harddrive , what can I do to play this on a stand alone DVD player , I have a Philips DVD-634 , if I copy the video to an ordinary CD-R will this play on my DVD player ?

Do I need to save the file in any particular format , at the momnet it's playing in media player , any help ??

Hey, glad to hear the card worked out ok. Right. Just putting the files onto a CD won't work with most DVD Players. You have to get it into the right format, which is Video CD - which most stand alone DVD Players can handle. You can do this with Roxio Easy CD Creator (Platinum version) or Nero and others. I'd recommend Nero out of the two as it's less invasive towards your PC.

Advertisement