Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wandering dog problem!

Options
  • 30-01-2003 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭

Our Dog has started to wander far away from the house, as in 2 miles away, he stays indoors at night and when someone is in the house he is in also, but lately he has started to wander when we let him out.
    we are thinking of getting one of these dog containment systems that keeps him within a certain distance of the house, the one with the device on the dogcoller that give a small shock or vibrates!

Has anyone used this and where in ireland can they be got and how much do they cost??

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance.

mike

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Off with his balls!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

First off.. some more info please..

What type of dog?
    How old?
    What quality of life does he have?
    How often is he left on his own?
    etc etc etc

Do not get one of those collar thingys.. its not something I would wish on anyone, let alone mans 'best friend'.

Do make sure you get him chipped. It's relatiely inexpensive, quick and worth every penny. Go talk to your local vet about
    1) dog's behaviour
    2) Getting him chipped.

At least that way if he does wander off, he will never end up in the pound or being put down becuase no one can identify him.

Talk to the professionals (vets) before you do something as drastic as putting an electric collar on the poor creature. There is obviously something in his environment, health, behaviour or scenario which is causing him to wander.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Red Devil

xern

If you are willing to install a radio fence properly and take the time to train the dog they are a great investment.

Some dogs will want to wander and it is the kindest solution to this problem.

They are numerous companies that supply them but I will find out the company my parents purchased their fence from later in the week and post it on here.

The best are endorsed by various vetinary, animal health bodies.

The collar emits a clicking sound within 5 metres from the fence and they only receive a shock if they cross the boundary.

Flags are put up to provide a visual boundary and most dogs have no problems accepting a boundary and it is much better than tying up the dog on a chain.

We have two Norwegian Elkhounds who have had the collars for three years now. They can now be left out without their collars when we go off.

My father installed a fence for my Grandmother's labrador and it has given the dog a new lease of life.

We also installed one for my girlfriends "Heinz", he is a result of a liason between a boxer and a pointer! Their fence was installed incorrectly and he kept walking through it and mongrels can be very head strong. However, after reinstalling it properly and taking the time to train him, it too has proved a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭viking

If your dog is wandering off you need to be aware that people are quite within their rights to call the dog warden. Legally, if a dog is not on a lead then he can be removed by a warden, if your dog causes an accident then you will be liable for any injuries or damages caused by him.

viking

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Absolutely, I would re-consider on the electric dog collar maybe, I'm sure you wouldn't enjoy being buzzed :) It's all a bit Clockwork Orange I suppose.

What's your vet like? Is he/she helpful for general advice? If so, consider that a first stop! Vets (when good!) generally are a great source of information, and deal with these things daily. They might even be able to recommend someone to you.

How big is your garden, btw? Is it fenced off in any way, what type of area is it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭xm15e3

You might try lots of exercise. I have a Malamute/German Sheppard Mix that is the same way. I've found that he needs to "cruise" (I run ,he trots) at least 3 miles (4.8km) per day otherwise he will wander and or cause mayhem. He simply gets bored. I've read that this is common with "Northern Breeds", and that wolf and wolf/hybrids actually need to 10-15 miles a day. .

Advertisement