Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FREE PDF software

• 30-01-2003 11:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭

Im a cheap scate. I dont want to give the nice people at acrobat money for creating PDF files.

Does anyone know of a free PDF software ?

Cant find one on the interweb thingy...just loads of people claiming that they have soemthing that will do it

HELP...I am a cheapo and need help being a great cheapo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

What exactly You looking for ??

Pm with details, I might be able to help ya out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

Try ghostscript, it has a nice ps2pdf utility that I get good use out of plus it's free and open-source.

Teeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Linux sports many free (GPL) apps for converting from varions formats to PDF.

You can also install a Postscript File Printer on your Windows system allowing you to print to PS and then use one of the free PS to PDF utilities to convert it (Ghostscript is mentioned above).

If you only have an occasional few bits and pieces to do, I've found the following FREE online service very good: http://www.gobcl.com

Sometimes it gets a little bogged down with jobs but all in all it's very good. They e-mail you the result. I think you can even mail them the initial job now.

Adobe also allow you to do a certain number of online PDF's for free by registering an online a/c. Theirs is lightening fast always. (http://createpdf.adobe.com/index.pl)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

yes yes I just Joined Gobcl and I have used up all my free PDF's at the free Adobe site.

Converting .DOC, .XLS and PPS files to PDF via the internet is all well and good but I was hoping to find something where I could create PDF's on my desk top.

• Advertisement

Well then install a PostScript printer and use GhostScript as suggested above.

Free and Legal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

i've used ghostscript and it works a treat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Yavvy

Thanks to everyone helping me be a cheapo bastard !

Im going to try that gost script thing as soon as I have permission form my Technical admin blokey to install something.
    apperently eejits like me should never download anything unless they knwo know how to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Ghostscript is the business.

• Advertisement

permission form my Technical admin blokey

First thing you should do when you get a a PC is ask for Local Admin priviledges ;)

(then cross fingers and hope for friendly Admins)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭MadKevo

FreePDF is the Free PDF software I use. It's pretty good (great price!) and uses GhostScript etc. The instructions are easy enough to follow.

http://www.geocities.com/thompso_m1/index.html

The only problem I have is trying to publish multi-sheet excel workbooks, but single ones work fine for me. (may be a Win98SE :rolleyes: / Office 97 issue - work machine).

/mk

Advertisement