Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RJ-45 to DB-9 Adapter for a Netra T1 - Client Serial Link

Options
  • 30-01-2003 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

Hi...

I have to make up an Rj-45 to DB-9 adapter, and being a bit of a bimbo, I am a bit confused....

The Pin Cross-overs are as follows:

Serial Port (RJ-45 Connector Pin) -- 9-pin connector

1-8
    2-6
    3-2
    4-5
    5-5
    6-3
    7-4
    8-7

Silly question, Am I supposed to put both wire 4 and 5 into the hole #5 of the DB-9 side of the adapter? It doesn't seem to fit..

This is probably a really stupid question -- but I am stuck...can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭ozpass

Most probably yes. It's quite common for stable serial connections to combine DCD and DSR to bypass the handshaking and also to short RTS with CTS for the same reason. Without analysing your pinout I'd say it's wired that way for similar reasons.

P.S. Don't accidentally plug the resultant RJ45 ended cable into a hub/switch/LAN card unless you want toast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 leaves2ooo

Thanks, for your reply... I am making up the adapter, you know, plugging the wires from the RJ-45 side of the adapter into the DB-9 side and it just doesn't seem to fit, you know, putting the 2 wires from the Rj-45 (4 and 5) into the hole # 5 on the DB-9 side, am I doing something wrong?

All you have to do is combine 4 and 5 somewhere in the circuit. That can be at the 9-pin and, the RJ45 end or anywhere inbetween.

Assuming the pinout conforms to standards then Pin 5 is ground. Connecting DTR (data terminal ready) to ground will do nada. Are you sure that the pinout is right?

Explain what you're trying to do in full, with what equipment (breakout box?) and I'll try to get you a definitive answer.

Hi thanks for your help...

Ok.. I am putting together an adapter... (see pic http://www.pccables.com/01910.htm )

I have to hook up the pin-outs according to the specs in the NetraT1 manual (see previous post.. for pinouts)

But I can't get wire 4 and wire 5 to fit into the hole in the DB-9 section.

Do you know how I can fit the two wires into the one hole?

I see.

Well, assuming the pinouts are 100% correct, you don't have to get them both in the same hole- short them together some other way. Maybe cut the pin off the end of the wire and solder it to the relevant connection?

• Advertisement

P.S. What do you actually need the serial connection for? Wouldn't it be easier to telnet in over the network? :confused:

I need the serial connection to support a console session from an XWindows app on an Windows Laptop to a Netra T1 server ... (in the event that an ethernet connection cannot be established)

Troubleshooting for a commissioning process!!

Is soldering the only option...(kerap.) ...

It's either that or get yourself a DB9 externally jumpered breakout box from Maplin or similar.

Thanks for your help!!! Solder it is!!

E.

Advertisement