Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless home network

Options
  • 30-01-2003 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

Hello

With FRIACO on the horizon, I'm considering setting up a wireless network at home from which I would like to connect to an ISP whenever IP traffic is detected. Any wireless routers I've seen are broadband. Has anyone come across a POTS router or is this a thing of the past? I do have the option of leaving a PC running doing the job for me but I'd rather a 'tidy little box' solution if that is at all possible.

I'll be travelling to the US in July so if anyone can recommend anything that they might see, here or abroad, can you let me know?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

A lot of wireless ethernet base stations have modems built into them. All you have to do is plug it into the phone line and configure it over the network from a computer with a wireless card.

Teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

Care to post a hard and fast recommendation? I've only ever seen an access point offer broadband connectivity (and even I suspect that means to a LAN offering internet access).

Thanks anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭Dr_Teeth

I've used an Apple Airport Base Station, it worked great though I'm sure there are cheaper access points out there..

Teeth.

Advertisement