Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Website Update Facility

Options
  • 30-01-2003 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

One of my clients , an auctioneer requires a facility where he can update his website from his office.

Remove sold properties, add new properties, update prices etc. I want a situation where this is very user friendly

I have not carried out this work before

Where is the best place to find out or best packages to use?

What would you normally price for such work?

Thanks

Motm

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Try Macromedia Contribute otherwise you gotta make a a script

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Quite a few of the admins, and one or two of the mods work here and they make this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Ph3n0m

The other alternative is to learn PHP/mySQL or ASP.

I used the former to build the admin area for www.thewalls.ie, which allows the band to update certain areas of the site, like the news section - where they can add, modify or delete stories as they see fit.

I priced them for the amount of hours it took to finish that specific area - quite nicely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

There is also coldfusion, perl, zope and jsp if you wanna go the scripting way along with many more databases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 karpovx

It all depends of the amount of $$$ your clients can pay and how much about IT they know. You can get FREE scripts for linux servers in hotscripts.com for updating your webpage. To setup the script takes only 5 minutes. An you can charge quite a lot of money if they don't know this is a free code.

::: Is not a quite Decent moral thing to do... but you can do it :::
    If you need some help send me a PM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

I did this with Quincey using asp/vb script sitting on an MSSql db. The news, articles pages are dynamic and can be edited/added to/deleted from etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

For $99 would Macromedia Contribute be worth getting?

I've only seen the screenshots and read the "testimonials" but it looks fairly handy.

I'm nearly finsished a website for my Cricket Club and this could be a good solution for updating some of the HTML by others without fecking the whole thing up. I'm doing this on a voluntary basis so I dont have the time to keep the whole thing very up to date.

Any views?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Whats his budget roughly?

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

Originally posted by 80project
    For $99 would Macromedia Contribute be worth getting?

I've only seen the screenshots and read the "testimonials" but it looks fairly handy.

I'm nearly finsished a website for my Cricket Club and this could be a good solution for updating some of the HTML by others without fecking the whole thing up. I'm doing this on a voluntary basis so I dont have the time to keep the whole thing very up to date.

Any views?

Do you have to buy a copy/licence for each user? Sounds expensive if you want to have 3 or 4 different contributors.

Well one licence definitely possibly more if its any good.

Just want to know more about the specs and utility of it atm though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭DJB

Have a look at:

http://www.raymondpotterton.com

http://www.gartlan.com

http://www.matthewsproperty.net

We have a system that is specific to the property industry with full control over content and loads of amazing features. Above are live samples of the system.

We can supply the source code at a reduced rate or install the system for you. It is an ASP/VBScript system linked to either a MS Access DB or MS SQL DB, depending on your needs. It is easy to install, control and keep up to date.

If you are interested, contact me on 046 9070966 for a demonstration or to answer any questions.

David Behan
    Clicks Design

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

80p, I just got 2 licenses of Contribute. One for me (administrator), and one for a client, who will be putting it through its paces as a newbie over the next few weeks. There is no limit on how many websites you want to edit per license.

First impressions are that it makes updating a website p1ss easy. There is a browser window where you navigate around your site, and when you want to edit a page on your site, you click edit and it opens a wysiwyg style editor. Make changes, and save.

One problem is that when you go to edit a page, it has to download all the images on that page before going into edit mode. This can take ages on dial-up when editing a graphic heavy page.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Originally posted by peterd
    First impressions are that it makes updating a website p1ss easy. There is a browser window where you navigate around your site, and when you want to edit a page on your site, you click edit and it opens a wysiwyg style editor. Make changes, and save.

i downlaoded the trial and gave it a good run out!
    It's almost embarrassing alright when you see how easy it is- presuming the site has been designed well in the first place
    Originally posted by peterd
    One problem is that when you go to edit a page, it has to download all the images on that page before going into edit mode. This can take ages on dial-up when editing a graphic heavy page.

I found that too.
    Overall my thoughts...

-> Admin / User Levels which allow for email notification to the admin if pages are changed, could be very handy
    -> The fact it recognises Dreamweaver Templates is excellent, cos it means you can restrict somebody without knowledge from deciding they know best and messing around with the importnat code!
    ->Ability to have "Site Definitons" and mulitple backups/versions of pages is very good for saving settings and also recovery if you mess up

Drawbacks...
    No Code/Design View Options unlike in Dreamweaver- which means you cant edit the source code- which often can be the only thing you need to change etc.

If you cant afford it or whatever, I think the best thing to do is use something like Web2ftp if you are familiar with editing source code or Add Loadsa <-- Comments --> to the html to instruct others what to do if they are editing stuff through a browser.

--
    I'll be back at work in few weeks so I'll see what they think- If I was working soley as their Webdesigner I'd try to keep these type of products out of sight as it may make me unemployed, but I'm not, so I'll mention it to them.

Rating -> 8/10 :)

Advertisement