Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change of mod on the PI board

Options
  • 30-01-2003 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭

it appears that this board is in need of an over haul.

its turning into IRC more than a personal issues board. i do remember the mighty devore saying that this was a board he was watching and was serious about there being no messing on.
    all i see on it is conversations and very little useful input.

i have also not seen smiles or sheron on line in ages.
    if there are three moderators needed, then i suggest these two are replaced as they obviously do not have the time to commit.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It did get a bit chatty. I thought it worthwhile to relax on the strictness (in fact you WWM gave me the thought) and I noticed a lot more levity which is good and bad obviously. Although it spawned a deal of off topicness it has given for some good fertilizer I think.

I don't see much of a problem to be honest but I'd be interested hearing feedback from PI users and indeed future PI users ;) (is this a good forum for this?)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Gordon
    It did get a bit chatty. I thought it worthwhile to relax on the strictness (in fact you WWM gave me the thought) and I noticed a lot more levity which is good and bad obviously. Although it spawned a deal of off topicness it has given for some good fertilizer I think.

I don't see much of a problem to be honest but I'd be interested hearing feedback from PI users and indeed future PI users ;) (is this a good forum for this?)

gordon,
    you will notice that i did not mention anything about leeway on off topicness, or a more relaxed attitude to strictness.

i mentioned that it wasnt IRC, which has happened on a number of topics, and the fact that two of three moderators seem to have disappeared.

Understood Eamon. Does anyone else have problems with PI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

there does seem to be a couple of posters who are turning PI and virtually any thread they appear on together back into another episode of the SYL and E*** Show,
    i dont know about the rest of you but i find the Hilarious Banter between the two of them is Better than an Episode of Friends.

But me i am probally just bitty an twisted

Ps i have no intrest in co-modding PI

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Gordon
    Understood Eamon. Does anyone else have problems with PI?
    Yeah, most of the posts are way too long and there isn't enough pervy stuff. ;)

But honestly, I think too many people say "do this" or "do that" and everyone then agrees with the first responder, but in a laborious way. Some thread starters are also quite vague (that guy who lost something yesterday).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

I too recall mention of iron fistedness in the predays of the forum, n now its all spammy, mods could use a shake up me thinks.

p.s. Gordon does a good job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

I don't have any problems with it as such, I think Gordon does a good job.

Perhaps his co's could put in more input, though, I wouldn't say there is any appreciable diminution of the content of the threads.

Which means Gordon does his bit. Sometimes people go randomly off topic, but, that is the nature of discussion.

Interestingly enough, the CTYI board had a 'lets change mod' spat a while back,here which I must admit, I stuck my oar into and asked why, a change of mod was needed to make (n) random users feel elite or to change the administration of said board?

Since none of the users felt the need to post a topic on admin like this one so the community at large could scrutinise it, I can only assume the regular posters on CTYI are happy.

In effect I interceded, because I had been to CTYI and felt some sort of wierd kinship with smilies, because both of us were much older former CTYIers then the majority of the board and were both one of the few, one of the hated, mods.

However since this has come up again, I'll have to change my tune, I think Eamo has a point and he seems like an independant source on this one. Basically smilies (even though she is a girl and I try to make a point of going out of my way to girls more leway then men) hasn't been around, I can't comment on SheroN, so I won't.

I think the CTYI board needs at least a co-mod. I'll admit I stood up for smilies before, but, since Eamo has pointed it out and it's not like she isn't aware people are saying "we need a new mod" on some of her boards, I think at least a co-mod is in order on CTYI and perhaps even total replacement of herself on PI.

However basically if someone won't contribute time and/or interest to a board (espeically a high traffice one) it is in the best interests of the posters to perform regicide.

adios.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I don't see any major problems with it.

Unless the current Mods want to go I don't see any reason for them to do so.
    But honestly, I think too many people say "do this" or "do that" and everyone then agrees with the first responder, but in a laborious way.

Unfortunately thats how the "I don't want to seem stupid" bulletin board mentality appears to work.

I've said my bit on that issue and I reckon that otherwise this thread is only an effort to fill Admin with crap ( ;) ) so that'll be my final word.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I would prefer if people didnt take serious topics as

1. an excuse for humour at the expense of the poster.
    2. an excuse for injokery between boards regulars.
    3. an opportunity to put the poster down, call them names and general act in a superior way.

Eamo, you yourself have made free with your sharp tongue on occasions where I felt it was hurtful to someone who was genuinely looking for help.

I do agree that people are going off topic quite quickly/frequently but by and large the forum is ok. I'll give it a serious look over when I get a chance.

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Clintons cat - get a life would you? I've made about two bantery posts replying to merc, don't get your knickers in a twist over lil old me.

And as for the SYL and me show, look who was banned. Not me, nah ah.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I have to say I do think the board has become a bit more "loose" in recent times, and tbh I don't think it's for the best.

It's become more of a chatzone for a few people than it used to be, and some of the topics could do with being pruned/brought back on track on a speedier basis.

I agree though that Gordon has done a good job on any thread I've seen, but as for the other two mods..I'd forgotten there was any! Perhaps a shake-up with more pro-active mods and a little less chatter would keep it in line. After all I think it is quite a useful board to have, and it would be a shame to let it slide slowly into becoming a place for chats/in-jokes/being nasty to posters without anyone noticing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by BuffyBot
    and it would be a shame to let it slide slowly into becoming a place for chats/in-jokes/being nasty to posters without anyone noticing.

A lot of boards seem to becoming like this. Very spammy lately with some posters having chat sessions in the threads. Thats what irc is for ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

it is in the best interests of the posters to perform regicide.

I'd really rather you didn't :)

Thanks for the advice people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Just a point on all this.... and in regard to the earlier thread regarding the Admin board.

Isn't it just the case that folk, posters on boards, are getting chummy and chatty? I mean that people get know the humour, the style of posting, what type of reaction gets laffs etc. Lets face it, there are a lot of in-jokes and running gags around.

I feel, the more people get to know each other, the less there is to discuss.

My 2c. And Gordon, the lad done good. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

I just found that rape thread banter inappropriate and more suited to IRC or an episode of blind date.

Appologies Etho for dragging your name into it.That SYL and E*** snipe was way out of Line.

girls raped by taxi driver

Originally posted by DeVore

Eamo, you yourself have made free with your sharp tongue on occasions where I felt it was hurtful to someone who was genuinely looking for help.

whether or not my style of advice giving is sharp or cuddly has no bearing on anything Tom.
    I used the tone i feel is suitable at the time, however, i will always give some sort of helpful advice, and i will usually add in some sort of personal experience to base it on.

im ont talking about the quality of advice, im talking about lack of advice and the fact that people some people are treating like IRC, topics are going completely off topic and are not being split into new threads, or deleted where neccesary.
    gordon has never been a nazi on PI, and i have never had a problem with him, because i feel he strikes the right balance between letting a thread develope and deleting the nonsense.
    sheron and smiles were definately of the nazi brigade, and its easy to see they have not been there for the past few months due to real life commitments or whatever. however, it is a high traffic board, and it does need close moderating.

how people anser, especially me, are not the topic of conversation. if you want to make it a topic, please form a new thread, and stop bringing this thread off-topic....
    I would prefer if people didnt take serious topics as

1. an excuse for humour at the expense of the poster.
    2. an excuse for injokery between boards regulars.
    3. an opportunity to put the poster down, call them names and general act in a superior way.

3 good reasons why we should have some other moderators on the PI boards?
    hell there are about 101 other forums here for that malarky, which i make regular use of for just these childish behaviours, but you asked me not to troll the PI boards, and i dont.
    I do agree that people are going off topic quite quickly/frequently but by and large the forum is ok. I'll give it a serious look over when I get a chance.

DeV.

again, no problem with threads and topics developing, but sometimes it gets silly. and i mean monty python silly.
    the charter used to say about it being a serious board and no nonsense would be tolerated.
    would it be easier to change the charter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Regi
    I'd really rather you didn't :)

must.... not.... kill...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I think Gordie does a really good job in PI, he never lets it get too out of hand and if it does he's there pretty quick to clean it up - there is no doubt that some threads are set up to take the piss, which is ok now and again imo as it can be amusing, but again, he sorts it.

in short...

Gordie does a good job

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

All mods should be in contact with their co-mods from time to time (some more often then others, for example I know the Politics mods work closely together...)

Gordo, could you PM the other two and see if they are ok?

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

My only criticism of PI is that topics more suited to After Hours (such as anything with the strap line of “one for the guys/girls”) don’t get moved/nuked.

That is all. Carry on.

All mods should be in contact with their co-mods from time to time (some more often then others, for example I know the Politics mods work closely together...)

Gordo, could you PM the other two and see if they are ok?

DeV.
    will do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Gordon does a great job as mod, personally i dont see a need for a shakeup on the board. Perhaps a little more interaction from the other two mods would provide gordon with some relief from the likes of me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

I'm still floating about eamo. In my final year in college so i haven't got much time for posting. It'd be a whole lot easier to moderate if long term posters weren't trolling.

Originally posted by SheroN
    I'm still floating about eamo. In my final year in college so i haven't got much time for posting. It'd be a whole lot easier to moderate if long term posters weren't trolling.

as ive said, you dont have the time for it, hence youre not on it.
    and yes, youre right, it would im sure be easier to post if long term posters werent trolling it, but im sure you read the rest of this thread didnt you, and read what ive said about that.

now, y9ou have just admitted you dont have the time.
    smiles cant be arsed to be here either.
    i just think if youre going to have a serious discussion forum, then you need some mods who are going to be on every day.

sorry sheron, floating about just doesnt cut it.

and i have said nothing about gordon not being a good mod.
    do you people actually read what is said, or do you just get an idea in your head and then write down the first thing that comes to mind?

ok everyone drop you're chill pills...

I'll also try to talk to Smilies and see what the story is....

We can always add another Mod , we can have 4 per board.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You know, as each day goes by, I understand more and more why DeV posted what he did..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

I haven't been around that much lately, only every 2 or 3 days, i take a quick read and try to ditch anything dodgy I can in PI, family problems at home, work and college commitments and I havent been in the best of health lately, so if there's a problem then I'm sorry and if the admins want to replace me (in either PI or CTYI, although I havent been aware of a problem since we resolved the one a couple of months ago) then I've no problem with that.

PI is becoming a bitchy little board, with too many people going out of their way to have a laugh, and being well-known they tend to be able to get people to laugh. I've had a word with some of them only to have angry responses. It's very hard to slap down some of the comments, they're borderline and that makes modding them rather difficult.

I'm happy to try and be online more, which is possible now because things seem to be sorting themselves out in my life, and I appologise for not being more active.

<< Fio >>

Advertisement