Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

change of mod on the PI board

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

As for wanting mod that offer advice, as WWM so eloquently put it to me a while back, being a mod doesnt mean you have to reply to absolutely every post, or any at all, just because you deal with the spam doesn't mean you have to give advice all the time.

Gordon does a brilliant job, he's a good guy who gives some damn good advice, I tend only to reply when I know something or when I'm sure I can do something constructive, and personally I dont think either form of modding is better than another, but others might have different views.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Maybe it's just me..

Would it not make sense, for any mod, on any board who knows they aren't going to be around for any period of time to PM DeV and let him know.

DeV could then "attach" some kind of temporary mod to the board to look after it during that period. If the existing mod then feels in a position to come back, well and good.

If not, then there is a) a replacement ready made or b) someone to hold the fort until DeV finds a new, appropriate mod (for example someone with an interest in a specific sport for that specific board). The previous mod can be removced

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Smilies, no worries... if anyone is acting the asshose and you arent sure about it, gimme a shout.

Anyone who is abusive in a warning PM reply, banned for a week.
    More about ban them permanently and let me know.

You guys have a tough board to mod. If any of the regular repliers are regularly being asshoses... kick them.

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Well how long exactly should a mod spend watching a board. I personally think that if a board requires a level of moderation that three moderators or high caliber cannot provide, then it should be removed.

A Forum should not be a play school, poping in an out one every few days should be more then enough. More then that could casue fasism. Of course certain forums like politics do require high levels of moderation, but for different reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Boston
    Well how long exactly should a mod spend watching a board. I personally think that if a board requires a level of moderation that three moderators or high caliber cannot provide, then it should be removed.

A Forum should not be a play school, poping in an out one every few days should be more then enough. More then that could casue fasism. Of course certain forums like politics do require high levels of moderation, but for different reasons.

I don't think anyone is saying that it is a case that the three mods cannot provide the level of service needed on something like PI, it's more that they have not for whatever reasons.

It is all about balance. Everyone has a different idea of what that balance should be. The level of moderation should not descend into play-school style supervison, nor should it be fascist. However, it should be regular and strict enough not to allow threads to fall into chit-chat, flirting, muppetry, slanging matches or whatever. PI isn't a place for this, there are other boards which are.

Moderation needs to be exercised occasionally not to correct people, but to steer the discussion in the right direction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

and yet people continue to not listen to a word said.
    i didnt say the level of modding by gordon is bad, i said there is no input from the other two mods.

now sheron and smiles can make all the bítchy snide comments they like, but lets face it, if you arent around, then dont get cranky if someone notices the boards you look after go to hell.

sheron, as ive said, i havent trolled the PI board since Devore asked me not to, and thats a long time ago. probably 8 or 9 months.

Smiles, if you have home problems, then maybe you should take care of them, because moderating a bullitan board is not importantm youre life is.
    as for angry responses, i will assume you are talking about me, and if you will recall, it was about the style of my posts, not about spam or trolling.
    but im not interested in petty arguments over who advice should be delivered, i will leave that up to me and me alone.
    what im concerned about is that 2 out of three mods are not online every day.

and no matter who is responsable for a forum that is suppose to be serious, then there should be a presence there.

oh, and i dont think you need mods who can give out advice on a forum. a level head and some common sense is all thats needed.
    that rules madj out tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

"I personally think that if a board requires a level of moderation that three moderators or high caliber cannot provide, then it should be removed"

Im not part of "the gang" but I have been about here a long time and I agree 100% with boston...

If "the gang" are taking the piss then start banning them (and their aliases!) if banning them dont work, then just remove the board full stop.

I tend to avoid PI as its a farce of people asking serious questions and having the piss taken out of them by some people and people asking piss take questions getting serious answers..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by WhiteWashMan
    i said there is no input from the other two mods.

now sheron and smiles can make all the bítchy snide comments they like, but lets face it, if you arent around, then dont get cranky if someone notices the boards you look after go to hell.

[...]

Smiles, if you have home problems, then maybe you should take care of them, because moderating a bullitan board is not importantm youre life is.
    as for angry responses, i will assume you are talking about me, and if you will recall, it was about the style of my posts, not about spam or trolling.
    but im not interested in petty arguments over who advice should be delivered, i will leave that up to me and me alone.
    what im concerned about is that 2 out of three mods are not online every day.

and no matter who is responsable for a forum that is suppose to be serious, then there should be a presence there.

As I've said WWM, if you read my posts, that I'm happy to step down, if people want me to, so far it seems to be only you who've made specific requests to kick me and Sheron out.

I wasn't making "bítchy" and snide comments, it really seems like you're the only one doing that by going on about how I "can't be arsed", and how I don't take care of the important things in life. Why would I bother?

I don't honestly think the board has gone to hell, maybe it's had a few ups and downs more than it should, and yes, thats partially my fault, but i thought that since Gordon was online most of the time then he seemed to be able to nip most of it in the bud with just a little trimming for me to do whenever I saw that it needed it.

As for taking care of the important things, I am, thats the point. I don't think that moderating a bulletin board will *ever* be more important, and I dont think that it comprimises the rest of my life, hence why I wasn't here.

But things have cleared up, got work commitments/projects sorted and I've more time to do things online, i suggest giving it a week or two and if people still think the board has "gone to hell" then to start the whip-assing.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

I moderate Humanities. So does Micro and Zenith. I tend to be more visible in my moderation than my co-mods. But then, Humanities isn't as popular as PI.

I moderate Games, so does Shinji and Meglome. Me and Meglome aren't as visible as Shinji is. Games is pretty popular but probably not as much as PI.

My point? Most multiple moderated boards have mods that are quieter than others.

Thing is, Wwman knows this as well as anyone else here. So this is either a troll or a personal attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

amp: does that not ask another question, that if person x and person y are mods on a busy forum; if one is never about should he be a mod forever on devine right?

If its not a busy forum then it does not really matter...

• Advertisement

Originally posted by amp
    I moderate Humanities. So does Micro and Zenith. I tend to be more visible in my moderation than my co-mods. But then, Humanities isn't as popular as PI.

I moderate Games, so does Shinji and Meglome. Me and Meglome aren't as visible as Shinji is. Games is pretty popular but probably not as much as PI.

My point? Most multiple moderated boards have mods that are quieter than others.

Thing is, Wwman knows this as well as anyone else here. So this is either a troll or a personal attack.

whats the point in having a mod that does nothing then?

amp, if you have something you want to spit out then i think you should write me a mail about it.

this is nether a personal attack or a troll.
    its a simple question.
    if mods arent going to be active on a board that is suppose to be serious, then they should be replaced.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think he's talking about visibility as in the quiet cop/loud cop approach. For example even though SheroN doesn't actually post much in PI - he does clear posts up and communicate with posters in other ways.

Originally posted by Gordon
    I think he's talking about visibility as in the quiet cop/loud cop approach. For example even though SheroN doesn't actually post much in PI - he does clear posts up and communicate with posters in other ways.

im not talking about quiet, background work.

both sheron and smiles have posted saying they havent been around due to actually having a life.

hell, there could be a hundred boards with this problem, this is just the only board that has a strict charter that ive noticed the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

actually I said I'm not around as much, i still probably check boards a couple of times a day, anything I see that needs moderating I moderate. Gordon seems to be on a lot more than me and he seems to nip most things in the bud.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

To be Honest, if Gordon needed extra help I'm sure he would have asked for it (You do great work in PI....)

Where smiles and Sheron are still floating around and Gordon putting in great work, the board is imho opinion doing well and squeaky clean...The board does attract a lot of muppetry and thats not the fault of the mods. Contrary to your belief WWman smilies and Sheron have put in a lot of effort into the modding of the board and maybe havent been as vocal in recent weeks doesn't detract imo from them doing a good job

maybe for some of the popular boards in the hopefully busy future we could have forum helpers, some sort of half mod (only allowed to delete/move posts with good reason) to clean up when the mods are enjoying the outside world, picked and Administered by the forum Mod - approved by Devore/Cloud....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

I find myself agreeing with boston tbh. I gave up reading PI ages ago because its too much work on the trolling circuits :)

whats the point in having a mod that does nothing then?

Backup? A second opinion?

amp, if you have something you want to spit out then i think you should write me a mail about it.

Why? I merely stated my take on this. The personality conflict between you and the mods on PI is no secret. It's been an ongoing thing for quite sometime now. That you try to dress it up in different clothes is a bit silly imo.

The biggest problem on PI is not the moderators, it's the flamers and the trollers who use it to try and make themselves feel superior by attacking weak and vunerable targets. And that's just pathetic.

Originally posted by amp

The biggest problem on PI is not the moderators, it's the flamers and the trollers who use it to try and make themselves feel superior by attacking weak and vunerable targets. And that's just pathetic. [/B]

then why arent they banned?
    Originally posted by amp

Why? I merely stated my take on this. The personality conflict between you and the mods on PI is no secret. It's been an ongoing thing for quite sometime now. That you try to dress it up in different clothes is a bit silly imo.[/B]

you seem to have some secret knowledge of things that are going on?
    please do share it.
    Originally posted by amp

Backup? A second opinion?
    [/B]

why?
    isnt that what the mod board is for?

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Mods become active and go dormant for a variety of reasons. Most tell me/us if they are going to be gone for long/ever.

I've spoken to all three PI mods and I'm happy with the resolutions we've come to (we're thinking about a fourth mod, but no action yet).

I've asked them to ban people with impunity. If they wont, I will.

I've shut down, pre-moderated and replaced mods before (primarily with Counterstrike) so I've no problem doing it.
    I dont think its justified in this instance though.

Amp and WWman dont start having a fight here thanks.
    You both have put your view forward and I've read both and taken them under consideration.

Unless anyone has anything POSITIVE and CONSTRUCTIVE to add, I'm going to close this thread. The "issue" has been highlighted... addressed and we'll see if it is resolved.

DeV.

Ah so, the amount of muppets attracted to PI is the moderators fault. Nothing to do with the subject matter at all?

But to answer your question, Logic was banned. Merc has been banned, I even think you were banned for a couple of days or you were close to being banned. I'd say PI has the highest banning rate outside of CS.

Try again :)

you seem to have some secret knowledge of things that are going on?
    please do share it.

Like I said, it's no secret. All you have to do is read PI. And the recycle bin. :)

why?
    isnt that what the mod board is for?

Mod is more a third opinion and for people who mod a board on their own. The point is, most moderators have different styles. Some post up a note with everything they do (eg. "This post moved to recycle bin cause it's off-topic"). And some do it without using little notes.

For example: on Boards Events, you quite rightly moved a post about a free gig to Gigs/Events but didn't put a note on it. Yet because I ok'd it previously, it looks like I moved it. Therefore I look more vocal than you.

But that's irrelevant. Because that's not the issue here. The issue is why you want a "change of mod" when the general feeling on this thread is that even without Smiles and Sheron that Gordon is doing a sterling job.

So where's the problem?

Dev: This may seem like a fight but I think it's right to question the reasons for this threads existence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I agree with ampeh there.
    Also just to point out

If they are un-regestered posters i would think it a bit harder to ban them, and seeing as how simple it is to post on PI as unregestered then it may make it that more difficult.

Problem with a board like PI is that its there for good reasons, but unfortunatly, good tends to bring with it bad, and you do get those immature ppl who get kicks from dick and fart jokes,
    The mods on PI do hav it the hardest I'd say, so if one or two go missing for a while just consider it a holiday.
    As for Fio, She's in Collage and I'd say she is a tad more concerned about that then the PI boards, so if she is inactive then she is well within reason.

My two cents

Advertisement