Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WinXp "Wont accept SBlaster 5.1 Live" Why?

• 30-01-2003 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24

I have upgraded my OS to WinXp from WinMe within the last week and have had very little problems. Except one problem that is really getting to me at this stage. WinXp will not accept a pretty standard Sound Card (Sound Blaster 5.1 Live). Things i have tried and failed.

1) Download WinXp Drivers for SB5.1
    2) Download upgrade for WinXp drivers for SB5.1
    3) Downloaded VIA
    4) Formated without and with put sound card, then added new hardW.

Note: There are drivers for unknown item within the Sound/video/controller Tab. I dont know what they are for and they keep coming back even if i format. And they will not Uninstall, maybe this is pointless but... The main issue is that i can install the Sound Blaster 5.1 but with all my upgrades and new Drivers i cant seem to get the "Multimedia Audio Controller" to install or upgrade or reinstall. Without it i cant have sound and i have tried all locations to install it from...

System/setup.inf
    WinMe Cd
    WinXp Cd
    SoundBlaster 5.1 Driver Cd

When i access Control panel and click AudioHQ it tells me that no card is installed or not supported by system.

I'm lost please help me in anyway you can. Any thoughts would be greatful.

Thanks...
    skorp

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

Was the Sound Blaster card working under Windows ME ?

Is there an onboard soundcard on the machine as well as the soundblaster? it could be that windows xp is detecting this as well, and maybe causing a hardware conflict.. had this problem on someones machine.... prevented windows from detecting the correct sound card... annoying...

Also try plugging the soundblaster card into another PCI slot on the board, cause maybe the slot you have the sound card in isn't a bus mastering slot, worth a try and this would also prove that the card was seated correctly into the PCI slot, which could also cause the problem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 skorpz-oom

Is an onboard card built into the MO?

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭DivX

yes, if it has, it should have seperate audio sockets on the panel with the keyboard socket, and also audio sockets on the soundblaster card, if it has an onboard soundcard this can usally be disabled from the bios.

Otherwise: I'd say try moving the soundcard to another PCI slot and see if this sorts it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Well, just to say that I have the same card and it works fine under XP.

Does this describe your drivers file? It's about 25,305Kb. This was the latest available when I downloaded it on the 01/12/2002.

LiveDrvPack.exe

Sound Blaster Live! Windows 2000/XP Driver (date 07/17/02) Download Now
    This package upgrades the Sound Blaster Live! driver and enhances the overall product performance on Windows 2000 and Windows XP. The package also upgrades core applications including Audio HQ and Surround Mixer for optimal Sound Blaster Live! performance.

yeah hamster thats the 1 i got, thing is that it doesnt think i have a sound blaster card at all. its very odd its listed in my computer tab. no i dont have onboard sound card btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

skorpz-oom,

Take out the card, and have a look for the biggest chip on it and look for a serial or name and do a search on Google. Litterly! It worked for me before with a no-named soundcard.

If no luck there then download a demo of Sandra 2003 from http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/. It may identify the soundcard.

You might have luck for other drivers here: http://www.soundcard-drivers.com/

Hope this helps.

its my "Multimedia Audio Controller" that aint working. not the whole drivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

device manager > sound video and game controllers > offending item

right click
    uninstall (not disable)
    reboot

see if it installs correctly and automatically

I have done that reboot thing, muck. It tells me the data when it gos to install that it is invaled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

try to update the driver

right click on the device and click update driver, may take a while it will go online to get what it thinks is right

M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

What motherboard do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭SemperFi

Try changing the PCI slot, I have the same card and found it wouldn't work in certain slots that share resources with others.

Ok well heres an update on this problem, i have bought a SB Extigy for a costly 250Euro and it still wont accept the External card. i have downloaded drivers which i shouldnt need as this card works in XP. i dont know what my motherboard is. its a p4 thats all i know :o

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭silverski

Help,

Been havin' the kinda the same problems on my system.
    AMD 1.2Ghz

Win XP Pro

downloaded the new drivers from creative.

Still not getting the sound that I was running Win ME.

Very few of the applications run in XP. ( The creative ones that is :))

Have sent a request to Creative but no reply as of yet....

Goin out of my Mind :)

Advertisement