Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN no-limits?????

Options
  • 30-01-2003 11:21pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭

After getting my first isdn phone bill today i rang eircom with a few queries about it.
    The lady operator said i should contact my isp to let them know i now have isdn to take advantage of dual-channel 128k isdn.
    Im with no-limits for approx 3 years now using 56k.
    Im now using nl with my isdn now,as far as i know they only support single channel isdn.
    Should i contact them guys or shut my mouth?Will i be hit with a new subscription charge?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Are you quite sure it's dual channel you're connecting at?
    Oceanfree is the only service that supports dual channel so this is very odd...

And apart from that, you're going to be paying for the 2nd phone call i'd say, seeing as only one line of your isdn is provisioned for isdn.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Im on single channel as nolimits only support single channel.

Sorry, your original post gave the impression you were connecting at 128k.

Nolimits doesn't support any ISDN connections actually, it's pot luck whether you hit an isdn modem when you dial up, most times you do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭John2002

Originally posted by eth0_
    Are you quite sure it's dual channel you're connecting at?
    Oceanfree is the only service that supports dual channel so this is very odd...

UTVInternet and Elive both support dual channel ISDN.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭saik

Nolimits doesn't support any ISDN connections actually, it's pot luck whether you hit an isdn modem when you dial up, most times you do though.

lies. 3 seperate people manning the esat nolimits phone lines told me that isdn is officially supported, and that it's not a new thing. i've been told that the dial up issue of "not getting connected first time Everytime" is down to how busy nolimits is.

it's crap for games by the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

Sorry, your original post gave the impression you were connecting at 128k.

Wrong.

I have always connected first time at 64k since they started accepting ISDN calls last year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

eth0_ please, please, please read the fist post before you reply. Nowhere does he say he's using duel ISDN. infact he says he's using snl but only on one channel. As for it supporting it. Yes it does. Its been supporting it since October/November or there abouts. Now heres a little trick I found... but you need to be able to do load blance. If you have both your ISDN number reged with them, then you can connect each one up as a single line(if you have a proxy that an do load ballance on two or more connections then you should be able to use it.

(*note* they will charge you twice as much for having two phone numbers reged with them.... was never told that when I set the second one up)

Originally posted by sutty
    eth0_ please, please, please read the fist post before you reply. Nowhere does he say he's using duel ISDN

I suggest YOU re-read:
    "Im now using nl with my isdn now,as far as i know they only support single channel isdn.
    Should i contact them guys or shut my mouth?Will i be hit with a new subscription charge?"

Sorry I should clarify from my last post...NoLimits and Netsmart do not *officially* support isdn, that's why it doesn't say it anywhere in the blurb about it. But you can connect with 64k isdn. And trust me sutty, i'm sure of this.

Saik ,u say isdn is crap for games,lol.

On single channel[yes with nolimits,they only support single channel] im getting pings between 50-120 usually hovering at about 70-80.
    Thats with all games including the biggest bandwidth hog Battlefield 1942 .
    On my Medal of honour clan when we play my pings are equal to and often better than our DSL members,note our clan is UK based im In Co Kildare and the others are in UK.We play mostly on our own server .
    I play ather games on UK and European servers and get great pings , Thats not crap for gaming to me.

Don't you "lol" at me, son. Firstly I did not say ISDN is crap for games in my post. I said NoLimits is. Learn to read.

ISDN is crap for games. Ask any hardcore player how ISDN stacks up against the standard connections in other countries. It's crap in comparison 512k DSL or Cable - the standard. I know of certain online games that are not playable on ISDN. Anarchy Online anyone?

Sure, occaisionally you will ping better than a DSL'er in England, but they don't suffer connection flooding, and generally have a stable ping in the region of 50. Going from 50 ping to 120 ping over the course of 2 seconds due to heavy action is a common feature of ISDN. This is REALLY BAD for aim etc. Be aware that BB players use higher settings, allowing a better playing experience. Settings that ISDN can't handle. Settings that help BB players to lag out an ISDN'er when you fire at them. Weapons fire faster on broadband due to netcode issues in these games people play. Taking my favorite game as an example, Quake3, ISDN is equivalent to "modem" nowadays. It's that much of a disadvantage. Good as an excuse for being piss poor though.

It has been established that ISDN is crap for games, so, focusing on Nolimits, 350 ping spikes on your first hop to the server and 22 pl, ensure terrible consistency, warping, missed packets, dropped sound. The netgraph resembles a very red, very angry hedgehog. There are usually about 7 - 13 hops to a server. Having this kind of bullsh*t on the first hop ruins any chance of a solid connect, or a playable experience, on any server in Ireland, the UK, or elsewhere in Europe.

Now, if nolimits is occaisionally as good as other ISP's for ISDN, such as Ocean, then it's just as bad as normal ISDN.

If you don't notice/suffer any of these issues or disadvantages, I'm happy for you. But you'd be the first player to be free of the curse. Being very skeptical I suggest you play more and GET SOEM SKILLS.

(end of rant)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭melachi

oh loal, isdn boy doesn't know what he's talking about.
    ISDN has got NOTHING in a proper ADSL / cable connection.
    I had dual 128k ISDN when it was brand new, I then had 512 cable in early 98! That's before you ever heard of it. I've had various ADSL and cable connections in Sweden. THEY'VE ALL BEEN SUPERIOR TO ISDN by far and this isn't an unknown fact.

I never played a Q3 game pinging above 30 on scandinavian servers. At a high level ISDN IS CRAP FOR GAMING. Period.

IM A PRO GAMER PLZ HELLO...

4 KINGZ PLZ.. :D:D:D

HeHe bloody hell now theres a rant.
    :)
    Firstly when i lived in Boston i had 512k ADSL so i know how good it is.Your not speaking to someone who has not experienced DSL before.
    Secondly My brother who lives in the same town has Eircom 512k DSL and plays along with me quite a bit ,therefore we are on the same servers.
    Please tell me how i can match his pings [and no my pings dont float around all over the place they are consistent] i am never more than 20-30 ms behind him.Maybe the fact that the local exchange is 200 yards from me?

Either way Ive seen many posts here and on other boards complimenting ISDN and online gaming.
    No its not exactly DSL and besides im more than happy with it.
    And er!! no its not crap for games which you first deny saying and then proceed to say anyways :rolleyes:
    son
    :)

Melachi i was replying to Saik when you posted your thread .
    You say isdn boy doesnt know what hes talking about.
    When i worked in Boston between 97-99 with a fibre-optics company i had complimentry 512k ADSL, Make up your own mind now.
    All i asked in this thread was should i contact Nolimits and fill them with the fear of maybe getting hit with an increase in subscription fees or say nothing at all and continue as normal.
    "ISDN boy", LOL now theres a new one.

I'm probably old enough to be your father.

Firstly I did not say ISDN is crap for games in my initial post. I said NoLimits is.

So I denied saying it in my first post, and then I pointed out the fact that it is crap for games in my second. I was making a point. Learn to read.

It's good for games in your opinion, you don't play them enough to appreciate the _enormous_ gap between ISDN and broadband connects, highlighted by the fact that you haven't noticed the true extent of the _enormous_ difference between your 512k connect in Boston and your ISDN.

Eircom 512k DSL does not compare well to DSL in other countries or indeed your ISDN because it doesn't have interleaving or "fast path" enabled. This leads to it being, on average, 40 ping greater than the norm in Sweden and 30 ping greater than the norm in England.

son.

I've got EIRCOM 1mbit ADSL.
    If you knew what you were talking about you wouldn't use EIRCOM ADSL as comparision. WHY?
    Interleaving. I'll just say that word and see if you understand. If you don't then be quiet mkay.

Any ADSL which isn't located in a third world country when it comes to internet connection is way better than ISDN. ISDN is basically useless for gaming. I've been involved in online gaming since '96. You've had 512 boston ADSL once. You don't know what you're talking about.

You've been reading on forums with people who've played on the net once with their ISDN comparing it to their old 33k modem and thinks it's great. Now you're talking to a hardcore gamer who's been involved since '96... QUITE A DIFFERENCE.

You took issue with something I said. Therefore you had more to say than just ask about 128k Nolimits. So I replied, but if you've seen that I was right in saying that ISDN and in turn Nolimits ISDN are crap for games, well every issue in this thread is resolved then. Nothing to see here people, move along.

"When i worked in Boston between 97-99 with a fibre-optics company i had complimentry 512k ADSL, Make up your own mind now."

Yeah great, I fought in the war. Pity you didn't know about the interleaving thing.

In fairness to saik while he is being a little OTT here, Eircom's DSL is well known to be of a poor standard. I've seen a lot of complaints about latency and just slowness in general...safe to say their DSL isn't of the highest standard heh

Just a little OTT? Ya think? I was really going for it like. Must try harder I guess.

Ok Eircom DSL may not be great compared to other DSL providers maybe thats why my pings are almost matching them.
    I never said ISDN is as good as DSL i just disagreed with your opinion that isdn is crap for gaming.
    When in Boston i admit to not playing much but i was busy making money :)
    BTW id seriously doubt that your old enough to be my Dad as im a Dad myself.
    I havent played enough you say .Thats why im about to sign up for my third season of my Grand Prix Legends and nascar 2k2 leagues.Im in A medal of honour clan since its release and a Day of Defeat clan and A long time member of a Counter-strike clan [ we are crap btw] Add to this the fact i have beta tested three games so far one of which is soon to be released.
    I suggest you loose the [looking down your nose at people] attitude your displaying in your replies.

If they switched interleaving off everything would be nice and dandy. Until the day they start overloading everything, unless they've already done so. Oh and the €169 bill isn't all that fun.
    Seeing as my father is only paying €30 for his 1mbit (both ways) cable in Sweden.

• Advertisement

Don't doubt me, I fought in the war, remember? The younger generations seem unappreciative of the sacrifices I and others made. Bunch of muppet games if you ask me. If your a long time member of a cs clan, you should be better than crap!

I'm looking down your nose because I'm blatantly ripping this p*ss and I don't care one way or the other. Your happy with your piss poor ISDN, great!

Hmmm! Nuff said .

Thanks for the rant twas fun:)

Sorry I should clarify from my last post...NoLimits and Netsmart do not *officially* support isdn, that's why it doesn't say it anywhere in the blurb about it. But you can connect with 64k isdn. And trust me sutty, i'm sure of this.

Oh thats great, so from "nolimits doesn't support ANY ISDN" to Doesn't "officially"

Eth0_ this isn't the first complet feck up I've seen you post. These are tech forums and your posts could end up costing people money. Get your facts straght before you go posting!!!

Anyway back on topic. ISDN is good for most online games made 1-2 years ago. But newer games aren't as good as the tend to send out more data than older games like Half-life. Where it uses 1.5-3KB/s and ping time is more important.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

in summation

isdn - crap
    (ire)adsl - crap
    rant - crap
    ireland - crap :p

In summary : Sutty = getting a tad nasty over semantics.
    If you read my posts you'd see I said:

"And apart from that, you're going to be paying for the 2nd phone call i'd say, seeing as only one line of your isdn is provisioned for isdn."

Does that sound like I said you CAN'T use ISDN under nolimits? I said ISDN isn't "supported" by EsatBT which is 100% true. You can connect with ISDN but problems with ISDN are not "supported" by EsatBT. Perhaps you should learn the difference between "not possible" and "not supported"...

In summary : Sutty = getting a tad nasty over semantics.
    If you read my posts you'd see I said:

"And apart from that, you're going to be paying for the 2nd phone call i'd say, seeing as only one line of your isdn is provisioned for isdn."

Does that sound like I said you CAN'T use ISDN under nolimits? I said ISDN isn't "supported" by EsatBT which is 100% true. You can connect with ISDN but problems with ISDN are not "supported" by EsatBT. Perhaps you should learn the difference between "not possible" and "not supported"...

Eth0_ its your conflicking and often misstaken posts on the tech forums that are getting me "nasty"

As for ISDN being crap. for the price we pay in Ireland. It is. As is ADSL. (but I wouldn't really know about the ADSL part... seeing as none of them dumb ass Comm companys want to bring ADSL out to Leixlip!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Only came across this thread now. You are all talking crap.
    Modem's are king.

Gav

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement