Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nokia 7650 - Buy One Get One Free !

• 30-01-2003 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭

Vodafone are trying hard to sell Camera phones by the looks of things.

I've heard today from my (usually reliable) sources that from next week we'll see the Nokia 7650 offered at two for €199 where both phones are on contract !

Apparently you'll also get a voucher when you buy a phone from Vodafone's Live range to give to a mate to get €100 off another Vodafone Live phone.

God bless 'em, they're tryin' hard !

V10 ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

haha! i wonder why they're trying so hard to get rid of the 7650s while the gx10 and gd87 are still at the same prices...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hmmm, makes a lot of sense from Vodafone's POV. Slow takeup may have something to do with the "why should I get a phone like that - none of my mates have one to send to"

Of course there's also the Seamus Ryan attitude of
    I use my phone to make calls. Why would I get a bigger phone just so I can take pictures of dubious quality with it and then spend 50c a pop sending a crappy picture to my friends? I couldn't give a monkeys if they're all wearing the same coloured shirt as me. Run into David Beckham down the shops? So what. Now running into Holly Valance nude, that'd be another matter but what are the odds I'll have my oversized phone in my pocket at the time? Humpf. A phone that'll be small enough to fit in my ear, that's what I want. Pooh with knobs on to your camera phones

(on a side note, why couldn't that have made them sexy little camera phones like all the kids have in Japan rather than little bricks (I'm thinking of the Nokia rather than the Panny here)?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Sale of the new generation of camera phones has been poor. This has been attributed largely to insufficient subsidies by the operators, resulting with the phones being too expensive for their target market (i.e. 14 to 25 year-olds, not the corporate market).

Strategists in large bureaucratic organizations such as the mobile operators tend to forget that in the real World people pay for both their calls and phones...
    Originally posted by sceptre
    (on a side note, why couldn't that have made them sexy little camera phones like all the kids have in Japan rather than little bricks (I'm thinking of the Nokia rather than the Panny here)?)
    Most of their phones are just as clunky and ugly as the ones we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 629 ✭✭✭str8_away

AFAIK Nokia 3650 is due to come out soon.
    It is very like 7650 but better.
    Maybe that is why they are pushing 7650.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭v10

Actually, the 3650 will still be a while as far as the Vodafone range goes and it's a good bit bigger again than the 7650.

I'd say that sceptre isn't a mile off with ...
    Slow takeup may have something to do with the "why should I get a phone like that - none of my mates have one to send to"
    AFAIK the reason they are pushing the 7650 over the others is simply because it has been the least popular so far.
    Although I reckon it's the best of vodafones 3 camera phones.

V10 ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Does anyone have problems getting into clubs with picture phones ?I've heard they arent allowed but not seen someone refused because of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Originally posted by sceptre
    Slow takeup may have something to do with the "why should I get a phone like that - none of my mates have one to send to"

there was an article relating to this in The Feature today:
    Can MMS be pushed up to the heights of SMS?

although there was also an article yesterday The Right Stuff [Vodafone Live!] all about Vodafone's successful intro of Live! As a marketing exercise sure - it's hard to miss the advertisements, but i can still count on one hand (with a couple fo fingers to spare) the number of people i know with a Live! handset

the Seismic Shift section of the article definitely fills me with apprehension rather than excitement as the writer alternatively puts it, operator control over hardware and features, basically everything to ensure that data goes over the network as often as possible (or always). also discussed (with the downsides) on Infosync, operators want tighter control on handset features, data movement and what can be installed

i use the 7650 for many applications, i'd hate it to be in the same position that emerged after the Orange SPV MS SmartPhone launch where developers have to go through a lengthy and expensive certification process to make an application available for the phone, it's an impressive handset (and the best looking out of the MS Smartphone handsets) but the restrictions imposed on it are causing developers and users a lot of frustration

the 7650 is so open it can even be used for IRC and IM walking around the house connected over Bluetooth to the PC's internet connection with no Mobile GPRS or Dial-up charges :) - Vodafone or O2 don't want a handset to be capable of that - they want my data over their networks and me paying for them

what the operators have in store for the next gen of handsets worries me :(

BrianG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Hysteresis

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Does anyone have problems getting into clubs with picture phones ?I've heard they arent allowed but not seen someone refused because of it.
    How would they know unless they searched you? Even then, you could always stuff down the front of your trousers.

To quote myself :

I've heard today from my (usually reliable) sources that from next week we'll see the Nokia 7650 offered at two for €199 where both phones are on contract !
    From what I'm hearing now, they dropped this idea in favour of further reductions. (7650 from €49 with contract !)

Tommorow or Thursday at the latest. Lets wait and see.

V10. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Originally posted by v10
    To quote myself :

From what I'm hearing now, they dropped this idea in favour of further reductions. (7650 from €49 with contract !)

Tommorow or Thursday at the latest. Lets wait and see.

V10. ;)

I got the 7650 yesterday for 49 on a contract with 150 to be paid over coming 12 months. If they get rid of the extra 150, I will be displeased.

Gav

• Advertisement

They will - if not €150 at least €100. That's what you get for shopping in a Vodafone store.
    Where the staff know nothing until it happens.

V10 ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by damnyanks

They've banned them from gyms and clubs (as in health clubs) in Japan . Have not heard anything about anywhere in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

DeVore mentioned a while back that his gym had banned them. Of course not having been there in quite some time (and perhaps not knowing where the place is*) he read about it in the paper.

*may not be true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

My gym hasn't banned them, but I switch the blasted thing off and keep it out sight anyway - although that has as much to do with newer phones being targeted for theft as anything else.

Advertisement