Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carmageddon Trouble

Options
  • 11-11-1998 12:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Howdy all. Here's my predicament. I've recently bought Carmageddon & when the game loads up the FMV sequences are great but the actual game is jerky , has horrible C64 blocky graphics & it's impossible to see what's going on. I've seen plenty of beautiful screenshots & I presumed that they were of a 3DFX enabled version. But apparently they're not. I got in touch with SCI (the games' makers) and all I got was sarcasm "The screenshots on the back of the box seem more detailed because they are only an inch wide - We would put actual size screenshots on the box but the box would be huge".
    I've reloaded the game in DOS instead of Win 98 & the game looks equally
    ****e ,but runs a bit faster. I do'nt want to bring the game back ,as it has great potential ,but it's just appalling visually at the moment. Is it supposed to look this way ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Boba Fett

Jesus ,Cheers Hobbes! You're a real life saver. I have'nt tried the patch yet ,but that's the way I'd like it to look. Where do I
    put the patch?
    :-> :o) ;-]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Uncle Droopy Bacon

Hello=>
    That site contains,under downloads,a demo patch.Is there a full version of the 3Dfx patch?Also,do I need a 3Dfx chip/card for the patch to do anything?
    End.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

[Copied from the Quake Bulletin Board]

Hey!! CARMAGGEON ROCKS!!! :) ahh still have memories of the multiplayer pile ups.

Yea the graphics are crap on the version you buy. However some time later they wrote a 3dfx patch for it which improves it quite a bit (as well as a good few other patches)... go to
    http://www.sci.co.uk/games/carmageddon/car_index.html you should be able to find it somewhere there.

[Copied from the Quake Bulletin Board]

Should look something like this with the patch...
    3dfxdump2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Boba Fett

I figured out what was wrong. The game automatically loads the lores version. The games graphics are pretty in hires version but the game jerks along like George Micheal on Valium. The game is quite nippy in the Dos version - but whenever I try to start it in hires mode , the FMV comes up followed by all the game option screens -then a Dos window appears with the cryptic message =>
    Failure: DataStackFile type mismatch , wanted 2 , got 2
    Dos/4GW error (2000) Deninitializing twice.

Does anyone know what this means? :o)

• Advertisement

Errr, yea you need a 3dfx card in order to run the patch, and there is no full version, the beta runs fine. If you don't have a 3dfx card, go buy one.. it's worth it! :)

As for it crashing. Are you running it in a DOS box? Try running it outside windows. What is your machine spec? I had problems getting The splat pack to run on my other machine, but Carmag ran fine.

You can also configure the display settings AFAIR so you could have really high res but bump off the extras (shadows, see far) to speed it up.... or maybe I'm thinking of another game.

Anyhow this game rocks in multiplayer! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Troll

Now this is an OOOOOLD post!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Looks like a Troll has escaped from the Trolls board biggrin.gif

I've seen some ****ed up **** in my time here: ani_u_tan_kun.gifThunderingMike ani_marco.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

OMG, he is a mong, he even makes bl33t look good frown.gif

UP DA DUBS!! :)

Advertisement