Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How Do I get rid Of a dialler

Options
  • 31-01-2003 12:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭

I have a mate who has a dialler on his system and its calling up the seycelles and its running up his bill.

Whats the best way of getting rid of it from his System

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Is it listed in add/remove programs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

Im not sure I havent seen the system yet But i will ask and hopefully if it there i can get it removed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

tell him to block all international calls on his landline by ringing Biddy on 1901 till u get there.

Eircom now charge €3 a minute to certain countries with flexible revenue sharing call models.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

When the Dialling... (number) comes up in the dialup box (windows) can you rely on that being the actual number you're dialling?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Well sceptre, if you have the sound for your modem turned on and it sounds like it's dialling more numbers than your ISP's is, chances are something's not quite right. Like, for example, if your local Eircom number is 74501 (as it is here in Portlaoise) and it sounds as if it's dialing more than five numbers, something's not right. That's assuming you've set it up to ignore the area code when dialing.

Of course, if you're using something like No Limits where the number is 1332103001235, it might be a bit harder to tell if it's dialling a long number because the No Limits number is a long one to begin with. However, if that's the case and you're still not sure, you could always change your default dial-up to your local Eircom number, ignore the area code, and see what it sounds like then. A pretty simple but effective solution, I'd reckon. As long as the errant dialer program doesn't imitate the sound your regular ISP number makes when dialing, of course. Then the only way you'll probably be able to find out is when you get a phone bill for several hundred euros to Diego Garcia or somewhere like that! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Do a search for Dialer and just delete it, then check your dial up settings and make sure you only have the connection you need

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Doing a search for dialler may not catch it. And these things rarely show up on Add/Remove programs. I found the same problem on a few of my friend's PC's - the only real way is to go into Start->Programs->accessories->system tools-> Damn it, I'm on Linux and I can't remember. There should be something like system configuration tool.

In there, on one of the menu options, there is an option called startup files, or something, like that - this, surprisingly enough, tells the PC what programs to start when booting up. You have to unclick the checkbox to the left of it. This also has the benfit of showing you the path to it. A word of warning, I innocently cliked on Dialler-uninstall.exe and it re-installed everything. The safest option is to just delete the files, don't attempt to uninstall them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

...that no trojans are running. Diallers often install Trojans

run a netstat command in the command windows after dialling up but before launching explorer or checking mail

see what ports are in use and check them off google

i expect 2 or 3 with numbers around 1025 1026, thats normal, but no more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

have a look in msconfig too, sometimes they hide there

Advertisement