Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kerr's First Irish Squad

• 31-01-2003 3:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

No real surprises......

Squad: Given (Newcastle United), Kiely (Charlton Athletic), Colgan (Hibernian), Harte (Leeds United), Breen (West Ham United), Kelly (Leeds United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O'Shea (Manchester United), Carr (Tottenham Hotspur), Dunne (Manchester City), Finnan (Fulham), O'Brien (Newcastle United), Holland (Ipswich Town), Healy (Celtic), Kinsella (Aston Villa), Carsley (Everton), Delap (Southampton), McPhail (Leeds United), Kennedy (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Kilbane (Sunderland), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur (Tottenham Hotspur), Morrison (Birmingham City), Duff (Blackburn Rovers), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Connolly (Wimbledon), Reid (Millwall).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Squad of 26 for game below ,

Republic of Ireland squad: Given (Newcastle United), Kiely (Charlton Athletic), Colgan (Hibernian), Harte (Leeds United), Breen (West Ham United), Kelly (Leeds United), Cunningham (Birmingham City), O'Shea (Manchester United), Carr (Tottenham Hotspur), Dunne (Manchester City), Finnan (Fulham), O'Brien (Newcastle United), Holland (Ipswich Town), Healy (Celtic), Kinsella (Aston Villa), Carsley (Everton), Delap (Southampton), McPhail (Leeds United), Kennedy (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Kilbane (Sunderland), Keane (Tottenham Hotspur (Tottenham Hotspur), Morrison (Birmingham City), Duff (Blackburn Rovers), Doherty (Tottenham Hotspur), Connolly (Wimbledon), Reid (Millwall).

No Roy , No Crowe , Still no surprises really .... ( except BREEN :( )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Breen (West Ham United), Kennedy (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Kilbane (Sunderland)

Bloody hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

"Breen (West Ham United), Kennedy (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Kilbane (Sunderland)"

Quality !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

Unlucky for Crowe, he would have been a certainty, but has had to rule himself out, as he still can't turn on his knee.

No arguments with Kennedy or Kilbane from me, they kop far too much undeserved stick for my liking, Breen I would object to though, he is an utter failure IMO.

The only thing for certain is that there will definitely be withdrawals, Keane and Duff spring to mind. So its not a final selection. Word was that Kerr wasn't going to go over Givens' head by picking Connolly after the telephone fiasco, Lee would have been worth a chance, but he's a bit of a sulker as well.

I still object to Morrison, he hasn't done anything to deserve his chance, its a pity he was selected. Maybe he'll **** off with a bad injury as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I did not really expect too many changes to the squad, but I did think Partridge might get in. It is the team I would expect to be different.

• Advertisement

Yeah I think Partridge should get his chance, he's been a revelation this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Originally posted by TwoShedsJackson
    Bloody hell.

DITTO !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭Congoose

I still don't think Connolly is worth a place, but I guess Kerr is stuck for strikers. It's nice to see Healy in there, but as for Breen, Kennedy, and Kilbane?

Bloody Hell!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 857 ✭✭✭kamobe

I watched Kennedy playing for Wolves earlier this season, and he played very well. If that was an indication of his current form, he deserves a call up at least...

Kilbane is crap, but he puts 100% in, and is a good squad member. Breen is much more obviously crap. I don't like Harte, and either does Terry. Connolly has scored quite a few this season, and although I don't like him, he's earned his place in the squad.

I'd have preferred a bit more originality to be honest :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭ciano

Partridge should have got the nod over Kennedy or Kilbaine imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

There's no excuse to have Breen in there - he's always been $hite & he turned in arguably the worst ever display by a professional footballer last Sunday.

Kilbane is pure crap - he has one 'skill', hit it forward and try to beat his man, which he fails to do 99.99999999999999% of the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭CCCP^

Perhaps the starting line up and position of those players will be the real suprise. People will certainly start dropping out for various reasons, so beware. Roy isnt back, this doesnt suprise me. He'll play hard to get, just to piss off anyone in the FAI that is dying for him. Noice Wan :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I honestly don't think Keane is coming back.

And I honestly think that the Damage has been done in relation to everything, qualifying and resolving this whole fiasco.

Ta Mick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,620 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I think Kerr had to pretty much at least take a look at the current squad and give them the once over before definitly ruling people out as deadwood. Whilst ypour typical fan would have little to no qualms about wading into the team selection with an axe, Kerrs job is to win matches and he cant afford to be overly dramatic or write off players without even a look. Seeing as its still relatively mid stage in the premiership and first division it means Kerr is more likely to be able to get hold of players without a fuss. Theres another friendly in April i think where Kerr will leave some of the established lads at their clubs for their various championship, promotion and relagation or euro qualifying game and take some of the young lads and see what they can do - and hed know best where to look first.

Id be surprised if Kilbane, Harte or Breen got anywhere near the first team, Kennedy would also be a shock, - and Id imagine Healy will either start ahead of Kinsella/Holland or come on for them at some point. John O Shea should also kick off his career in an Irish shirt in a major fashion. The squad mightnt be revolutionary but the possible first eleven and substitutions on to the pitch mean plenty of young/untried players could be given a chance to see what they can do. By blooding them into an existing side rather than throwing 5 or 6 lads in and hoping they swim you take a lot of pressure off them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'm glad Kerr hasn't made sweaping changes to the squad but I think it's a pity Connolly is still in there. Forget about the whole incident Don Givens, Connollys been around for about seven years now and he's never done the business except in matches that we would have expected to win anyway.

Roy Keanes not coming back and people just have to accept that. Personally I don't want to see him playing for Ireland again but I'd be the first to acknowledge that you couldn't really blame him for turning his back on us either. With all the water that went under the bridge in the last year would you really jeapordise playing in Cup Finals and Champions League deciders in order to participate in half-meaningless matches in the far-flung cities of Tirana and Tblishi?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,687 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

kerr has been in the job 10 minutes lads....

let him have a look at the squad of "current" players and make his own mind up..

Personally I dont think Morrisson should be there as he is in awful form for Birmingham, likewise Breen..

But its not like we have Strikers and Defenders coming out our ears..

I think Partridge is still in the "unproven" section. He did not make it at liverpool, so like that waste of Oxygen Kennedy (and to a lesser extent McPhail) he looks like he is/was a promising young player who may not make it as a good actual player..

Leeds have virtually no l midfielders left and you still dont hear McPhail getting a game...:)

I will give him a game or two to sort out the men from the boys. But we have to remember were not england with 10+ possible players for every position so donkeys like Morrison and Breen will get carried in the squad....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Gary Breen and Lee Carsley shouldn't be there!!! Wes Houlihan would be better than Carsley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

Carsley, Kilbane, Breen, Kennedy OUT!! Bring in Wes Houlihan!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

where you'll see changes is in the starting line-up were i'd say o'shea and reid will get their deserved starts and Duff will be Left wing not up front

Originally posted by Steve_o
    Wes Houlihan would be better than Carsley. [/B]

I'd love to know what all this Anti-Carlsey stuff is about. I've seen him a number of times for Everton this season and I've found him to be very reliable and effective player for the job he's expected to do.

Breen on the other hand is just the best of a bad lot when it comes to the centre-back position. I'm not a fan of his but I'd take him over the likes of Richard Dunne & Andy O'Brien any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Pigman 11, how many goals have The Hammers been hammered with in the last few weeks? Dozens!

Mike.

Originally posted by mike65
    Pigman 11, how many goals have The Hammers been hammered with in the last few weeks? Dozens!

Mike.

You can't singlehandedly blame Breen for that. West Hams problem comes from having a midfield that is completely indicipined. It's full of 'flair' players who just love getting forward but don't seem to like doing the 'bread and butter' work of their positions and as a result leave huge gaps for anyone who wants to use them. Compare it to their opponents today Liverpool who had players willing to sit back and hold formation yet get foward when the time was right.

I'm not saying that Breen is the Franco Baresi of our generation but he certainly isn't the root cause of the Hammers downfall (and yes I did see his nightmare against ManU last week)

I have merged the two "kerr's first squad threads...

We dont need two threads about the same subject..

(Im gonna see who this Wes Houlihan is today and abuse my position here at SI :))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Wes Houlihan is not ready for full international football IMO
    he has played some great games for Shel's this season and has done well for Ireland under 21s but he's still young and I don't think ready... Having seen him play for shels on many occasions he has shown himself to be a very good player but on occasion has also been completely $hite. Its too early for Weso , richie partridge may be a good option though ....

<troll>if players in the league of ireland were good enough they would be in the First Div or Premiership in england</troll>

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Ahhhh, thank god Mr.Macateer is no where to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Why the furore about Crowe. He had his chance in England and blew it. Noel Hunt should also be back by July. Alan Lee deserves a chance.

Partridge is on a provisional list to be called up if there are any drop-outs. Lee is not on the provisional list FFS.

Breen is probably responsible for 40% of WH goals. Against Utd in the FA cup he cleared the ball a mighty 10 yards to the feet of Giggs who rammed it home. I can think of a few others as well.

Kilbane made a 60 yard run last Sunderland game which was impressive, why can't he do that all the time??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Breen is crap,against Man Utd he wa respondsible for five of the six goals that has to be a record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Chippy Brady

I can understand why fans think Breen and Kilbane shouldn't be in the squad but I think Carsley deserved the call. I would be the first to admit that he has been crap over the years but at the moment he is playing the best football of his career under Moyes and he is definitely playing alot better than Kinsella. Kinsella has gone to **** all together. No wonder Charlton left him go so easily!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Waylander

I think Carsley deserved the call. I would be the first to admit that he has been crap over the years but at the moment he is playing the best football of his career under Moyes and he is definitely playing alot better than Kinsella. Kinsella has gone to **** all together

Couldn't agree more Chippy. He is playing week in week out with a team fifth in the premiership while Kinsella is a sub for a team near the weong end of the table, and Holland is playing mid table first division.
    Why the furore about Crowe. He had his chance in England and blew it. Noel Hunt should also be back by July. Alan Lee deserves a chance.

TBH I know bugger all about Alan Lee except he has got a few goals for Rotherham this season. But when Crowe was called up for the Greece game he was one of the best Ireland players on the pitch. Also I would rather see LOI players get the call up then lower first division teams, as it would give our home league a boost.

Some people seem to have a basic problem regarding players improving . Most people would probably accept that Crowe is a genuine option up front for the forseeable future. Yes, he failed at Wolves, but the people who are in the know of that situation know that Crowe was unfortunate after the arrival of a new manager who liked Keane and Crowe but could only afford to keep one of them.

Also on the topic of improved players, there is no doubt that Carsley has matured into at worst an accomplished utility midfielder and at best the nearest we are going to have to another Roy Keane. Either way, he's easily worth his place in the squad.

As a staunch fan of Irish soccer, I would have grave reservations about Houlihan. He hasn't done it at a European level, and he hasn't even been a Shels regular during the past year. While Crowe has to a certain extent proved himself, Houlihan clearly hasn't. That said, he's probably worth another call-up if he performs well for the U21s.

The squad is a chance for McCarthy's men to prove themselves. For some, it may be the last chance. Gary Breen may not get another chance at international level after this. Its a mature move for Kerr, as he probably has plenty of changes in his mind, but is being fair, and giving everybody a chance. You can't ask for much more really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭tinofapples

Did Glen Crowe fail at Wolves ?? I think you are confusing Glen with another Crowe who had a spell with Wolves but returned home last year , Seamie Crowe from Galway City .

Correct me if I'm wrong .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 omad

i hope kerr gives the younstersa chance in the next friendly.Thats what friendlies are all about.He already knows what breen,kennedy and connolly are like so why not experiment.Partridge, thomas butler, thornton,alan quinn plus more lads deserve a chance

Advertisement