Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Headaches

• 31-01-2003 4:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭

Heya Grimes again

I flew home from London yesterday and just before landing I got this screaming headache like no pain i ever felt before. THis caused me to sweat clutch my head and whipe away the tears ( seriously it felt like a ballon was expanding behind my left eye) . This Always happens when i fly but particualrly in the final 10 minutes. Anyone have any ideas on what the hell this is?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭Gaz

Always amazes me when people would come here and ask a bunch of geeks for serious medical advice.

Go to a bloody doctor that sounds serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Dampsquid

Happens to me too. Always about 30mins before the plane lands. Always in the same ear. It only happens on planes, so i've never had it checked out... I thought it happened to most people :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Im avoiding my Doctor and Im just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭domeara01

really man. go see a doctor. its all you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Well, I'm no doctor, but it could very well be something to do with your sinuses and a pressure differential - there will be an air pressure differential that develops between the ambient air pressure and the air pressure inside your sinus cavities as the plane ascends/descends.

Depending on the individual the causes can vary. If you have odd sinus cavities you may experience this regularly, while others may only experience it if they have a cold.

If you fly while you have a cold or a bacterial sinus infection or nasal congestion, you may often experience severe pain in your face when the airplane changes altitude rapidly over a short period of time. Using a decongestant would probably help if it is due to nasal congestion.

Again, let me stress that my medical credentials leave a lot to be desired... but it could be the explanation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

It isn't an issue that you want to go to the doctor for. I'm surprised most of the people who answered your thread said that really. I would of thought everyone in the world would've known about this! I knew when I was seven!

Like cerebus said it's all to do with the change in air pressure when the Plane descends (it's never happened to me when taking off).

There are theories to ease the pain during flights. One is taking Deep breathes. And the other that I know of is to suck on boiled sweets. (Don't ask me to explain the technical details to how it works!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

I have often heard of this....It is just that different people react differently to the pressure as the others said. I once knew this girl that when she flew to europe as soon as the plane took off her eardrum blew. I think pilots have a time limit about changing altitudes. They can only descend at a certain rate. anywho...I have also heard the remedy of sucking on hard candy such as peppermint as it takes off and lands...Jolly Ranchers are good to....But if you think it is something else and it would make you feel better to see a doctor than be my guest! Good Luck:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

Originally posted by Grimes
    Heya Grimes again

I flew home from London yesterday and just before landing I got this screaming headache like no pain i ever felt before. THis caused me to sweat clutch my head and whipe away the tears ( seriously it felt like a ballon was expanding behind my left eye) . This Always happens when i fly but particualrly in the final 10 minutes. Anyone have any ideas on what the hell this is?

Hi,

Been there, done that, bought the t-shirt.

I got that one year flying to London. SERIOUS headaches, and nose-bleeds for 4-5 days while in London.

It's a sinus thing. I'm permanently blocked up and flying can play havoc. So, if I have to fly now, I get "Otrivine" which is a nasal decongestant spray. You can buy it over the counter in a pharmacy. I use it about 10-15 mins before the plane takes off and it clears your nose and sinuses. On a trip to London, you could try it again before the plane starts to decend.

Don't over-use it, as it can have the opposite effect - block your sinuses. I mean, don't use it daily.

I use it everytime I fly now, and touch wood, I haven't had a problem since.

Hope this helps.

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Technically it involves the pressure difference between your outer and inner ear.

Sucking boiled sweets simply makes you swallow which induces equlization of pressure in the ear.

Holding your nose and blowing lightly does the same thing. It sends air out through the eustation tube which connects your nasal cavity, throat and inner ear.

Ovbiously if you have a cold it means you cannot equalize the pressure due to being blocked up so the pressure causes localized pain for a period of time until it can settle itself.

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

If this is causing you such pain I'd get it check ,just in case but since you're avoiding the doctor... well, if it's a pressure problem then you can get these things called "ear planes" which screw into your ears and automatically adjust the pressure for you... or you can swallow a lot and such sweets like logic suggested.

If you're with VHI try ringing their nurses line, some of the other companies have similar things, check the Charter thread for links.

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

i have the same problem on planes. sucking sweets and nose blowing hasn't helped me, and i just sit silently, tears rolling down my face from the pain as the air stewards look at me strangely! but i dont get it on every plane journey, (just most of them). i might try those ear plane yokes, where can you get them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Can I add to the plane suggestions:

When feeling an implosion type feeling when rising or falling on a plane - to add to what has been said pretend to yawn - it will open the eustachian tube and balance the pressure difference in your skull and the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

that never works for me either.(but it works for most people) and i get weird side affects like really painful burping and going hard of hearing for up to 8 hours later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,177 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

I agree with smiles, ring some helpline, check out some sites or simply google it, its too late for my to do it for you ya lazy scruff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by thedrowner
    that never works for me either.(but it works for most people) and i get weird side affects like really painful burping and going hard of hearing for up to 8 hours later
    Then try it again on the ground. Is there a possibility your eustachian tubes are blocked by an infection or deformity. If you fly and dive (in water, especially with scuba gear) there are more extreme effects.

Originally posted by Victor
    Then try it again on the ground. Is there a possibility your eustachian tubes are blocked by an infection or deformity. If you fly and dive (in water, especially with scuba gear) there are more extreme effects.

As Victor says try it on the ground before take off. When diving you need to equalize about every 10 feet as the pressure increases. If you leave it toolate and try to equalize you will not usually be able to as the pressure has become to great you must then retreat back a few feet and equalize before going back down or you'll rupture your ear drums.

Much the same may apply on a plane if you do have problematic eustachians then it's important you equalize before any real pressure comes on you.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

And don't let any **** your diving with make weird underwater ****ing motions making you laugh and blow your "Navy Seal" silicone mask off your face at + 70 feet :)

Originally posted by Musashi
    And don't let any **** your diving with make weird underwater ****ing motions making you laugh and blow your "Navy Seal" silicone mask off your face at + 70 feet :)

LOL I was mimicing seals!!

.logic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Thanks Guys!

Advertisement