Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphic cards for AGPX2

• 31-01-2003 10:29pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭

About to splash out on a new graphics card. Moving from a trusty old voodoo3 card. My MB only supports AGPX2 so the question is what to get. I was impressed with the RADEON9000 which supports AGPX4. Would I be better getting a AGPX2 top end card or the run a radeon @ AGPX2 ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

The difference between agp x4 and agpx8 is minimal.
    I dont know wether the same applies between agpx2 and x4 but id imagine so.

If the above is true than the radeon 9000 would be a good card if ur looking for a gf4 mx killer, which it certainyl is. if your on a limited budget you cant go far wrong with a 9000 imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Agp is one of the most over-hyped things in the computer world. Any agp4x card will also run at agp 2x. For example people have run the ati radeon 9700pro in bx boards with no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

seconded, the card will switch to AGP 2x with a questionable loss of performance.

plus the AGP 4x or *x may come in handy if you sell it or change your mobo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Ok. Looks like the radeon 9000 so. My machine is a K7T266 with a 1.4 athon tb overclocked and 512 ddr pc2100 so I rekon it'll be fine. Off to komplett I go. :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Your board is an msi k7t266, with the via kt266a chipset. This supports agp 4x, it may be switched off in the bios or something. The voodoo is limited to 2x, so that will be reported by diagnostic tools at the moment. If get wcpuid ( google ) that will tell you what the board supports, not just the gfx card. Its not going to make a noticeable performance difference either way, just thought I'd point that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

mental note:RTFM

Yeah silly me! I was using sisoft and saw AGPX2. The voodoo I have is actually a PCI as I got it on the cheap. Read the article in PCW and looks like the performance issue is with older CPUs. Thanks for the replys guys.

Advertisement