Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marriage

• 31-01-2003 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭

My fiancée and i are getting married in America (where her parents are) and then having a small ceremony here in Ireland. Just wondering apart from the registry office and the church, is there anywhere else one can get married, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

As far as I know you can get married in the middle of Croke Park. (Seriously)

Have you enough family and friends to fill it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭imp

The only place in Ireland you can legally get married is a registry office or a church (and not even all churches at that) or equivalent of a church for other religions.

Its different in other countries.

}:>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

In America you have to get a marriage license to make it legal, then all you need is a real priest. YOu can get married in the middle of main street in manhattan if youd like as long as you have that license and priest to conduct the ceremony and sign his name that he did. Good Luck... :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Originally posted by Ruu
    My fiancée and i are getting married in America (where her parents are) and then having a small ceremony here in Ireland. Just wondering apart from the registry office and the church, is there anywhere else one can get married, thanks

If you're getting married in America, then you're already married and you can't get married again in Ireland. As a result, you can have any sort of a blessing you want in any venue you please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

thanks for all ur help guys :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Why not speak to a priest about it, after all they are the most qualified don't ya think. I'm not married, and not even considering it so I don't know what ya can and can't do.

Congrats on your engagement and good luck!!!!

Thank u all once again for ur help and best wishes :-D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

This will answer all Irish marriage questions.
    http://www.oasis.gov.ie/relationships/marriage/

Good luck!

Yep i got that one a while back, thanks anyway :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭YoungNastyMan

2 weddings, somebody's marrying into a rich american family.

• Advertisement

Rich young Irishman ;)*

*yeah right!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

i wana get married on a cliff! soon to be engaged i am!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Originally posted by The Reaper

Is that ‘cos you are giving yourself the chance to jump off 5 mins later??? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

:D:D:D
    no! god no! i just have a fear of hights so i wanna face sum fears on my day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I would've thought the thought of getting married would be a big enough fear but I too want to get hitched on a cliff. A couple of places in mind, mainly cos it's beautiful.

hehe if u change ur mind, jump right off into the escaping speedboat, make sure u have someone u can trust :-p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

while on the topic of marriage/engagement, tell us how exactly did u pop the question? I mean where and how, that sort of thing.

Call me a big romantic but I fancy bringing my girl to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris and producing the ring..... then that's just a plan..... not considering marrying in a hurry yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by memphis
    Call me a big romantic but I fancy bringing my girl to the top of the Eiffel Tower in Paris and producing the ring..... then that's just a plan..... not considering marrying in a hurry yet.
    Keep away from edge :)

Well we had planned to get married a while in advance, talked bout kids, future and all. She wasnt sure when id ask but when i was in America a few months ago, we were having a meal and after that we relaxed for a bit, just chilled out then i asked her, nothing romantic bout it really, but its always romantic when ur with the one u love :) She said yes instantly! :D I cant wait, we've set a preliminary date May/June 2004. We've always got the fun parts of relationship worked out like the honeymoon haha, but we're perfect for each other :D
    Eiffel Tower sounds nice, just get up there on a nice warm day no wind hehe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

Originally posted by memphis
    while on the topic of marriage/engagement, tell us how exactly did u pop the question? I mean where and how, that sort of thing.

on the weekend that my brother's (now wife) girlfriend turned 22, which was also the weekend of their one year anniversary and valentine's day, he whisked her off to new york for a surprise and proposed on top of the empire state building*. they went to tiffany's for the ring.

* he said he'd push her over the edge if she said no...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Originally posted by thedrowner
    on the weekend that my brother's (now wife) girlfriend turned 22, which was also the weekend of their one year anniversary and valentine's day, he whisked her off to new york for a surprise and proposed on top of the empire state building*. they went to tiffany's for the ring.
    How wealthy of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by thedrowner
    * he said he'd push her over the edge if she said no...
    I could understand this if he had bought the ring in Tiffany's :)

Alot of ppl like Claddaghs as an engagement ring, very Irishy so my girl loved it :)

Originally posted by Victor
    I could understand this if he had bought the ring in Tiffany's :)

they're mad! i think he did it so 'romantically' (or vomit inducingly) so she *had* to say yes :) (although if someone did that to me id probably throw them over the edge)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Bought the ring today and we're going away for the weekend so I'm going to pop the question on Saturday... I feel really nervous, even when I was buying the ring I had butterflies in my stomach, what am I going to be like when I ask her?

We've being going out five years and I'm mad about her. Can't wait to see her face when I ask...

Wish me luck!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

good luck

yeah good luck. let us know what she says!

good luck Mr.Proposing :) may you have as much as luck as me with my lady

Thanks guys, I'll let you know how it goes...

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Big Chief

if i met a rich woman who was willing to put me on her life insurance after we got married then i would accept no substitutes away from getting married on a cliff :rolleyes:

:D

She said "YES". It was absolutely perfect, we went to Kinnitty Castle and were shown to our suite and it was absoultely fabulous, magnificent, romantic etc... So she was walking around looking at the suite and she turned to me and said "This weekend couldn't get any better!" so I took that as a pretty good cue to drop on one knee and I asked her to marry me. She was in complete shock, tears and trembling hands, but she said "yes, of course". And so that was the beginning of an absolutely fantastic weekend, I couldn't be happier! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Congrats! Hope you have every happiness.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

gg, plyd etc. :D

Yay well done Proposing :)

Advertisement