Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vectra any good?

Options
  • 01-02-2003 12:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭

I was offered a 1997 Opel Vectra 1.6 16v for €2,300.It's NCT'd until Agust 2004.Taxed until March 2003.Mileage is high enough.130,000,but she drives spot on.The body is straight,although it got a wing,but that's all.Tyres are in good nick,and everything works.There's no sunroof,or any of that jazz.Windows are manual.

What's the story with them?Is that high milage for those engines,or what problems are those Vectra's noted for?

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

That particular model Vectra is known to be a bit troublesome. However, I must say that I had one (had 3 in a row in fact, a '94, a '97 and a '99) and never had much trouble.
    I did have to keep an eye on the engine oil level and top it regularly though, this is something else they were known for; drinking a lot of oil, a problem which may be exacerbated by the 130,000 miles on it.
    If you are thinking about it seriously, make sure to get an AA inspection done (or equivalent).
    Price seems good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Yep,I suppose you couldn't blame any engine for burning a small sup of oil at that milage.If that was it's only problem,it wouldn't be too bad.Is that all they were really noted for.Like no cracking heads or gearbox trouble or any stuff like that that would make it a bad buy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

Heyas,

I was gonna buy a '97 also about 4 years ago and was told to stay away from them and to get a 99 onwards.

The pre-99 have very weak engines and tend to be prone to wear beyond the 100k mark.

At 130,000, it would be advisable to fit (normally) the 3rd timing belt, change the head gasket and check all pumps, fuel, water and hydraulics. Also check for bushings (rear swingarm, anti-sway bar Fr + rear, engine mounts, etc....

J

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

As I said, I never had any real trouble.
    However, I never hold onto a car for more than two years, so never got anywhere near the "problem" mileage area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Good quality car, nothing exciting mind.

The prices looks good too, the one nigly point is that the timing belt should be due very soon - a serious engine job.

Really depends on whether the car is a 'keeper' and how much more milage you intend to put on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I've been driving one for the last 18 months and haven't had any problems whatsoever. There's 76 on the clock and I'm gonna get the timing belt done soon (2nd Time ). As with your's I don't have any toys (E-Windows , Sunroof) but sometimes when buying a second hand car you're better off not having those toys anyway.

It really is a solid car , I can still remember the first time I test drove it before I purchased. I thought it was a rocket , then again my previous car was a 1.2 Punto so I suppose that explains that.

You are getting the car really cheap , but thats probably cause of the high mileage.

I would agree with getting the car checked out first though.

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Thanks for the replies.It seems that if the car had less milage,it wouldn't be a bad buy.The timing belt was done at 115,000.I read a few articles on the Vectra since,and with the milage that high,and what you guys say,it looks like I'd do better to stay away from it.

Advertisement