Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Watched by CCTV

• 01-02-2003 12:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what our rights here in Ireland in regards to CCTV cameras are ? Can tapes be kept indefinetly or do they need to be wiped after 12 months ?

What are people views at being monitored on CCTV as we walk the streets minding our own business.

I posted before about CCTV in the Cork Forum:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74350

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Unless you are engaged in an art or trade, you can be photographed by anyone in a public place. Private places usually warn you that they use CCTV and you have the option of going in or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I was reading online somewhere before that some group copyrighted their t-shirts/clothes that had unique symbols and were within their rights then to stop people taking their photograph without permission. I think that was the gist of it anyway.

Or is it that they cannot show that image in print and television ? Once its not used commercially can you still take photos ?

Originally posted by yellum
    Or is it that they cannot show that image in print and television ? Once its not used commercially can you still take photos ?
    Sounds dubious, for one thing the media is being changed. Would they object if I took a picture of the spire (rights held by Dublin City Council).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

while on this subject of videotaping or even pictures been taken,

as regards to GARDA , can pictures of them be taken, be it in good circumstances or would consent have to be given from the individual garda,

i presume since that it is a public service they are providing , there wouldn't be any real problems, tourists probably take pictures of our police force every day for show etc...

is there any law on this ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

I install and service CCTV for a living and generally if your on CCTV there is nothing you can do about unless you throw a rope around it and pull it off the wall (happens more often than you think) in your work place your boss is fully entitiled to video you apart from staff rest areas/canteens, changing rooms and toilets other than that It's legal. Covert cameras can be used in certain situations but It's a little sticky generally you have to be infomed that CCTV is being used. As regards commercial premises again nothing you can do about it unless the camera can and does look into your property but that should not happen, When I install an external PTZ camera (pan tilt zoom) I set the limits on the Pan and Tilt head so the camera can't be made look into someone's house or garden if their close by. Commercial sites should have a sign saying CCTV in operation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 852 ✭✭✭DannyD

I recently received a "funny" email from a friend claiming to show romantic Dublin.What it in fact is is Garda cctv footage of couples making out in Dublin.I am appaled that Gardai not only check these amorous couples out but send photos to their buddies.I will post the link tomorrow.

Do that again and you're banned. Dont link to Pr0n...like DUH!

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

Originally posted by daveirl
    I got that in an email too, ages back.
    Danny the people in the photographs are breaking the law so the guards are well within their rights to be watching them.

Sending it around by email they aren't however.

Dave,
    Just my point !

Originally posted by daveirl
    Sending it around by email they aren't however.
    Actually this isn't a big brother problem, it's a copyright problem - those pictures are from an "alternative" website.

These pictures are probably an abuse of civil "liberty". ;)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Victor
    Actually this isn't a big brother problem, it's a copyright problem - those pictures are from an "alternative" website.

These pictures are probably an abuse of civil "liberty". ;)
    What alternative website ? These images are from Garda CCTV cameras !!!!

No, I saw those pictures about 2 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Not that I personally care, but shouldnt there be a warning on that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Funky

i heard once you could demand any video tape you were recorded on from the establishment...

like say you were present during a robbery in a bank or something you could get a copy of the tape

there any truth in this or is it complete waffle?

Originally posted by Funky
    i heard once you could demand any video tape you were recorded on from the establishment... like say you were present during a robbery in a bank or something you could get a copy of the tape there any truth in this or is it complete waffle?
    You can in the UK (Freedom of Information act(?)), I haven't heard of it happening here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

I think the whole idea of CCTV is a good one - so long as there are explicit restrictions on their use and on the retention of the tapes.

As a result of CCTV in places like Henry St, Grafton St etc, it appears from reports that pickpocketing/attacks/other crime is reduced somewhat. That's a good thing. Of Course. You should have nothing to worry about if you're not doing anything wrong. (nevertheless, I get a bit paranoid about them sometimes)

As far as I can remember, the Gardai have to blur out windows of people's houses so as not to invade their privacy at the control room level.

A good while ago I came across a site that had interactive cams around Dublin. You could pan/tilt etc with them. One I recall was around the Temple Bar area (I think), and one side was flats. As you panned, the picture would have a black square around the windows of the flats. Pretty nifty I thought.

This looks good :)

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭theciscokid

this one of new york here is alot more interesting :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I think CCTV is important. It certainly helps on the crime side, it makes me happier that the Gards would be able to catch some scummy knacker that just robbed me of my money etc. You are watched by people so what does being watched by a camera mean?

Some years ago I took offence to being watched by the cctv so I got my own back. When I walked around town I would stop in front of each Cctv camera I saw and I would stand right in front and stare at it for at least a minute. It was great fun looking into the cameras knowing that the cops were looking at me looking at the cameras... looking at me looking at them .. ad finitum! They were probably ignoring me after the first look though :D

Originally posted by DannyD
    What alternative website ? These images are from Garda CCTV cameras !!!!

Try http://alternative-ireland.com/kate/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 loveheartsandnicotine

its ilegal to put cctv in toilets(think niteclubs) but they do....in one way thats good...but how many of u here want everyone u dont know to see u taking a leak??

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

I've never seen a CCTV camera in a jacks, but if I did I'd report it to the cops.

adam

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

the only people who should be worried about CCTV are people who intend doing something wrong. For the rest of us they are their to help protect us by being a deterrant to wouldbe thieves/attackers etc. Unfortunatly it's gonna take a lot more than a few cameras around the city to reduce the every increasing crime rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

LFCFan, that argument has been made and refuted. Reasoned argument might change my mind, repetition certainly won't.

adam

Originally posted by loveheartsandnicotine
    its ilegal to put cctv in toilets(think niteclubs) but they do....in one way thats good...but how many of u here want everyone u dont know to see u taking a leak??
    I'm not sure if it is actually illegal (I can't think of any act against it).

However, it would be very prudent to (a) say at the front door that people can expect CCTV (b) make sure it doesn't cover urinals / cubicles / showers / changing areas etc. common law says you have a right to expect privacy in such circumstances.

Supermacs screwed a bunch of fraudulent compensation claimants by having CCTV in the sink area of their toilets.

Originally posted by dahamsta
    LFCFan, that argument has been made and refuted. Reasoned argument might change my mind, repetition certainly won't.

adam

which argument is that then? That CCTV works or does not work?

Originally posted by LFCFan
    which argument is that then? That CCTV works or does not work?
    CCTV tends to displace crime (from main streets to side streets), not provide a magical solution to it. It tends to work best if it uses good equipment or is on high value sites.

CCTV tends to displace crime (from main streets to side streets), not provide a magical solution to it. It tends to work best if it uses good equipment or is on high value sites.

I agree. My post wasn't saying that CCTV works. I was saying that that is what they are supposed to do and that people who are doing nothing wrong shouldn't have anything to worry about with them. I couldn't care less if there are thousands of images of me walking down streets etc 'cause I know I've done nothing wrong so what's the point in getting worked up about them but if only 1 person is saved because of them then they are worth having. The point I was trying to make is that a lot more has to be done to curb the rising crime figures than just sticking up camera around the city. They are only one small part of the solution.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Try http://alternative-ireland.com/kate/

Theres a class picture in there of Kate standing outside dnc in templebar butt naked. All the lads inside are oblivious to the fact she is only a few feet away.. hillarious n1 gg.

Originally posted by Chief---
    Theres a class picture in there of Kate standing outside dnc in templebar butt naked.
    Now, now she was not butt naked, she was wearing an open fur coat so her butt was covered ;) Other parts are another matter. :D

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Chief---
    Theres a class picture in there of Kate standing outside dnc in templebar butt naked. All the lads inside are oblivious to the fact she is only a few feet away.. hillarious n1 gg.

How did you get access to that site?
    It's looking for a CyberAge ID, I assume you need to enter your CC details to get one (which I would not do).

Originally posted by Samson
    How did you get access to that site?
    It's looking for a CyberAge ID, I assume you need to enter your CC details to get one (which I would not do).
    It was linked to the CS board about 2 years ago (at time of DNC incident), it subsequently went PPV.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?postid=219471#post219471

PS Damn it took me a long time to find it what with DeV having spelt "Salacious" Salicious. :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Oh yeah, I remember that. Some naked chick holding her trench open outside DNC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 989 ✭✭✭MrNuked

Two years ago I was driven into outside WIT's main gate. I went in and asked the appropriate person if he could check whether the incident was caught on tape. He told me that even if it had been it would be inadmissible as evidence because WIT are not legally entitled to record scenes outside the college grounds.
    He said that some years previously a student had been videoed being beaten up by scumbags. The student pressed charges, and the court found the scumbags innocent, dispite the video showing the crime clearly, because this piece of evidence was deemed inadmissable because it was just outside the college grounds.

What on earth is with the "I sell heroin to children" tagline? Did you put that there yourself? Who did? It's in dreadfully poor taste.

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭oneweb

Two occassions that come to mind. Neither of which were mine but one was a stolen purse, the other a laptop. Both in places where cameras are placed all over. Upon reporting the thefts to security in the relevant establishments, the reply was "oh, it wouldn't be on tape". Which is a load of bull. They either don't record anything or they just don't want to know or get involved. And going on the previous post, it's likely to be the latter.

It's a very sad reflection of the politically correct world we live in when hard evidence is discounted for being not technically within the boundaries. :(

And when scumbags know that videotape evidence might not even hold up against them in court, they'll chance their arm as much as they can.

It is what it's.

Advertisement