Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space Shuttle Columbia destroyed on re-entry

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭aidan_dunne

Yeah yellum, I know it's the mirror site but you think they would have copped on and thought, "Whoops, $hit, we better get that down pretty quick, guys!" It might not be the "live" site, so to speak, but the fact that it's still up on the web and people have still managed to come across it is a bit of a cock-up.

I was watching Sky News too, daveirl, and what I found a bit embarrasing was when one of the Fox News people mentioned something about how there is an ejector seat system on board the shuttle and said to, I think it was Buzz Aldrin or Jim Lovell or someone like that, "Well, there are ejector seats but they'd hardly work at those altitudes or those kinds of speeds, would they?!" :rolleyes: And the way Buzz or Jim or whoever replied, "Ummm, no!", you could hear the "What kind of a dumbass are you? Like someone would be able to survive ejecting into the upper atmosphere at nearly 20 times the speed of sound" in that one "no".

I have to say that I never thought much of Fox News beforehand but that was just the icing on the bloody cake for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Originally posted by aidan_dunne
    Yeah yellum, I know it's the mirror site but you think they would have copped on and thought, "Whoops, $hit, we better get that down pretty quick, guys!" It might not be the "live" site, so to speak, but the fact that it's still up on the web and people have still managed to come across it is a bit of a cock-up.

Cory Doctorow saw this article and decided to make a mirror of it to highlight media stupidity. He knew the paper themselves would remove it. It is not an official mirror and I doubt they'll get Cory to take the thing down, with him being Chief Evangelist (what a cool job title) for the EFF and everything. Course if the family asks him Cory might be nice enough to take it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭mada999

but the americans never got to the moon anyways, it was all a propaganda thing its was all in that magazine x-factor years ago !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Originally posted by mada999
    but the americans never got to the moon anyways, it was all a propaganda thing its was all in that magazine x-factor years ago !

What has this muppetry got to do with the Space shuttle???

Anyway you cant say they did not get to the moon, give a reason why they did not. Its like accusing someone of a murder that may not have taken place and saying He is guilty because someone else said he might be!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

Moron.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,452 ✭✭✭irishgeo

China will prove this either right or worng in 2005 or 2006 when they lauch a rocket which will photograph the moon and it will either photograph empty surface or a moon showing lots of spce junk left behind.

here is a link which proves my point

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/2000506.stm

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Drunk pirate
    Scary. How could it be toxic?

Just put "hexylene" after a few concotions from the peridoic table.
    Should sound scarey enough.
    Rocket fuel is chemical. Look at the SR-71. The ground crew have to wear hazard suits cos the tanks don't seal till it's at ~30,000ft.

The Buran is a class alternative in my view (from what i've caught on Discovery and here and there ont he web).
    Has 4x reusable booster rockets to get her into orbit, she has no engines herself, allowing for about 4x the cargo capacity of the current shuttle (figures?) and she glides home.

She's not rusting, and never was, just kept in storage mounted on the launch truck.

The shuttle fleet are nearly all suffering from metal fatigue by now I'd say.

Tis funny the way Bush will spend $$$s per day keeping the fleet at Iraq's doorstep yet skimps on badly needed funds to further scientific research.

Spose he got scared after the father's debacle with Star Wars.....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by Shinji
    Believe me, you wouldn't need to damage the shell. If you lose part of the heat shield during re-entry, you're dead. You won't even know it hit you, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Atmospheric re-entry is a hugely dangrous process. We'll never know how many Russian cosmonauts died before they worked out the secret of successful re-entry, and Yuri Gagarin made it back home...

You have to admire the Russian attitude to space travel.
    The zero-g pen/lead pencil thing is a myth, but is a pretty accurate comparison.

Ever hear the one about the cosmonaut who's oxygen supply ran out? I think they did a post-humus court-martial because he abandoned his duty to "hold his breath".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭mada999

just goto this site and read,

http://sphinxtemple.virtualave.net/conspiracies/conspiracies.html

http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/2666/MoonHoax2.html

just read and make ur own mind. . . . :confused:

(PS how could a apollo 11 land on the moon with computers with less spec than a p100 pentium machine ???)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Beëlzebooze

(PS how could a apollo 11 land on the moon with computers with less spec than a p100 pentium machine ???)

the men who designed the V-1's and V-2's for the Reich never had anything as remotly powerfull as a electronic calculator, so according to you the bombings of London must have been a hoax.

just because your limited intelect cannot conceive what those men and women where doing in the sixties and seventies, does not make it a hoax. dumba$$!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

PS how could a apollo 11 land on the moon with computers with less spec than a p100 pentium machine ???

all they needed were calcutators and information read outs inside a sealed can strapped to a big ass rocket

How I think the moon landings were not faked...

I think the space shuttle has 5 computers for fly-by-wire, 4 are identical and process all the info coming in and recommend a course alteration/warining or carry out the command..if 1 of the 4 disagrees then majortiy rules but if it is a tie then the 5 computer (completly different computer, different company) throws its opinion in to decide the majority....not too sure on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

[RANT]Talk about going off topic. Me thinks a moderator need to step in quick. bugger of and start a new moon landings thread for yerselves.[/RANT]

Heard on the radio today the the fact that they found so much human remains may mean that the crew were conscious as the shuttle started to disintegrate around them and they didn't die instantaneously as originally stated. what a horrible way to go conscious while being incinerated.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I was watching a bit of it on TV (Fox News, what a bigoted station, I've never seen anything like it) ... they reckon that a piece of insulation fell off the large central tank and hit the left wing during lift off .. when it was landing x days later they started to lose the temperature reading gear on the left hand side (under the tiles) and finally just before they lost contact with the shuttle, they noticed a pressure drop in the left wheel...

This is all happening at 200k+ feet and mach 18 .. not much anyone can do ... there was a problem before with one of the shuttles ... the cover over the parachute at the back of the shuttle fell off during take off ... IIRC they never even told the crew because there was nothing that could be done about it ... either the parachute worked and slowed them down on the runway or they went off the end of the runway ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Originally posted by BigEejit
    IIRC they never even told the crew because there was nothing that could be done about it ... either the parachute worked and slowed them down on the runway or they went off the end of the runway ...

Yeah but the shuttle carries a lot of spare tiles in case of accident with foriegn objects in spàs...the astro-lads would inspect any areas that were damaged and replace the tiles as nescesary

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by irishgeo
    where you get that and whats the green blob
    Probably rain or some other weather feature, as it is in a different location on other images.

Advertisement