Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Favourite horror type?

Options
  • 01-02-2003 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

Well what's your flavor?
    slasher/ blood fest, demons/ werewolves, possessions n the like, 'real life' murderer types.

While Slasher flicks, or the demon (vampire/ werewolves) types provide a momentary jump they have no real lasting effect on me(laughed my way through The Exorcist).

For me its truer to life films, first time seeing Blair witch project, nearly shat myself!

Only film I’ve closed my eyes during, in at least the last 10 years was The Others, it reminded me of childhood memories, memories which I’d rather I hadn’t remembered, had a real lasting effect on me. Not a particularly scary film by anyone’s standards but for me a waking nightmare :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭_sheep

Have to aggree with az, blair witch still freaks the **** outta me, i like the more 'thinking' horror rather than a hack and slash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I'd have to say that The Blair Witch is possibly the most over-rated horror film in history.

And I'm not mad on Slasher flicks either.
    Especially not after the teen-slasher hype up of the mid 90's, post-scream.
    Jesus, what mind-numbing nosh!
    Although, with that said, I was a big fan of the Halloween films years ago.

Vampire films are great.
    My personal favourite being 1993's Dracula.
    It's just pure lavish, over-the-top style with amazing costumes, effects, and acting. I mean, could you have asked for a better Van Helsing!? And Gary Oldman was just perfectly dark and menacing, giving way to a more vunrable, and rather pitifull character. Most of the cast are just brilliant. I say most, mind you, as Keanu Reaves is in it, after all.

But there's a great amount of zombie films which are just fantastic. The great ones always seem to give off a huge sense of desolation, and unrivalled atmosphere.

I'd say though, that anything that can provide a certain 'Atmosphere' that really engrosses you is a great film, horror wise.

The Others was a brilliant film, it had atmosphere as the as fog, and some amazingly suspensefull scenes that really cut into you. The scene in the piano room especially.

There's also a load of real Gross-out/Gore movies, which I'm not too fond of. Mainly because they lack that atmosphere which really makes a good horror.

Werewolf films, I never really like, but I'd say that the last 2 that I seen recently; Dog Soldiers, and Ginger Snaps, were absolutely awesome films.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

After due thought and consideration I'd have to say Straight-to-video Lesbian Vampire flicks are my favourite! :D

I like hammy hammer/amicus flicks.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Well after hearing all the hype and all the people saying blair witch was crap i watched it on channel 4 one night and i have o say i really enjoyed it. I rented blair witch 2 after wards and really enjoyed that well!

As for my fav tpye of horror it would have to be zombie flicks. Gorge A romero is a genuis and should have directed the resi evil film, though i still enjoyed it! I think Vamp flicks are poncy and over rated though i still watch and enjoy them.

I Dont really like killer/ slasher type of flicks as i dont really think of them as horror, they could be real! I saw Driller Killer when i was 10 years old and never liked them after that!

Oh and well done on this board someone! I have a felling AW had something to to with it! Ive only just noticed this board now. But im subscribing to this one now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Like just about all horror genres... each has it's classics. But I especially love...um... what genre would the Evil Deads be under? :]

Zombie & Werewolf movies are my favourite overall though. Nothing better than sitting down with a few cans, popcorn a few mates and a shit load of zombie movies :D

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    Well after hearing all the hype and all the people saying blair witch was crap i watched it on channel 4 one night and i have o say i really enjoyed it. I rented blair witch 2 after wards and really enjoyed that well!

[Shameless Plug]
    I've got BW2 on DVD if you wanna buy it off me.
    [/shameless plug]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

I like Psychological horror myself. Not so much a specific film but there are a lot of really creepy moments in many horrors... the build up....

eg.

Jacob's ladder - The La Creme in scary moments!
    - I thought this movie was a grade 'A' Psychological horror movie. The way the situations developed. The character's lack of reality, no-one to depend on. The time his hand print was read by a fortune teller - "Honey, according to this... your already dead" ... or along those lines. Tell me this was scary! The ending was a real twist.

Candyman - the heroine in the carpark
    - The way Candyman speech sounds up very close even though he was at the other end of the car park ?? Remember that one?

Candyman - the heroine wakes up....
    - ... she wakes up in a closed closet. Hears Screams.. awful screams. Opens the door to find blood smears on the walls. Finds another woman covered in blood... what the hell? Spooky!

The Devil's Advocate - had a lot of these moments.
    - The scene where the baby held ovaries in it's hand.
    - The flicker (a mere hint) of devils under the skin of friends.

The Thing - When the power and lights go out.
    - Strange dog.... Who is infected?... Was it really defeated?
    - music was good.

The Dawn of the dead - home in a locked up supermarket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Kolodny

Anything to do with the supernatural or vampires. But not the cheesy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    I'd have to say that The Blair Witch is possibly the most over-rated horror film in history.

Agreed. It sucked so much! No scary parts in it at all and the girl was farking annoying with her crying etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

Also, I prefer the really jumpy horror movies, the ones where you just get relaxed when all of a sudden something happens and you have yourself a mild heart-attack or something. Final Destination and What Lies Beneath spring to mind.

I like the occasional really crappy horror film aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Kalina

Agreeing with Neo-, I enjoyed movies like What Lies Beneath, The Others and Stir of Echoes. I also like Vampire movies, Interview With the Vampire remains one of the best I've seen(maybe with the exception of the Little Vampire!! :)).
    Horror movies with religious reference, ie The Exorcist freak me out so I steer clear of them completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

A-ha! I *am* Angelwhore. At least, in the horror-fanatic sense.

I also, am a big zombie fan. Also have always loved Hellraiser, possibly because my mother is a big fan. We used to sit and watch them over and over again. Ah what a happy childhood :)

Japanese horror/thriller is really good aswell. It leaves a lot to the imagination. You'll never look at small japanese girls the same again :) Ring, Dark Water and The Eye in particular. Very tingle-down-your-spine kind of feel.

All time favourite? Dawn of the Dead. It's just so brilliant in so many ways, and you can watch it over and over again and find yourself giggling at the oddest things ("ooh look a fat zombie!").

80s horror films were actually really good. Friday the 13th, Halloween, Fright Night, Creepshow. Suspense, really scary bad guys! Look at new-age horror ("Teen horror"). Scream, I know what you did last summer. These films follow the pattern. The formula. But they miss the atmosphere and the one missing ingredient. The Myster Horror Ingredient. The one thing that makes everything mesh together and pop out at you from the screen. Like the chocolate in cake.

[/rambling]

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Originally posted by AngelWhore
    [Shameless Plug]
    I've got BW2 on DVD if you wanna buy it off me.
    [/shameless plug]

Well i enjoyed it alright but i wouldent buy it, its a sort of a watch onece film and thats that!

Thanks for the offer though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭hamster

Thanks koneko! :)

I forgot about Creepshow. It's more nostalgia now rather than horror but back then it was creepy. I like the 2nd story in... "The Crate".. and "Something to tide you over". Typically Stephen King. I came across the script of the crate lately too. Excellent... word for word as the film (as you'd expect).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I don't think I have a particularly favourite type of horror - I tend to find the most ridiculous things scary (childcatcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang still has me terrified). However, I do feel that there hasn't been a satisfactory horror film based in an Asylum - the kind of thing touched on in House on Haunted Hill (but ruined by a Casper-the-friendly-ghost ending). I know Session 9 was set in an Asylum, but this went for more psychological scares than genuine terror. And Dark Asylum was just plain awful.

It's a little depressing, considering the possibilities this kind of setting opens up.

Dark Black had a game coming out called "Asylum" (screenshots) that I hoped was going to deliver everything I'm talking about. But unfortunately, they appear to have run out of money, and it doesn't look like the game is ever going to be released.

Originally posted by ObeyGiant
    Dark Black had a game coming out called "Asylum" (screenshots) that I hoped was going to deliver everything I'm talking about. But unfortunately, they appear to have run out of money, and it doesn't look like the game is ever going to be released.

Jesus! That looks ****ing awesome!
    Sad thing if its not released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The best horror I ever saw was the 1963 version of Shirley Jacksons "The Haunting of Hillhouse"; The Haunting.

Unlike its 1999 remake, the 1963 version was almost special effects free and relied on lighting, sound and atmosphere to deliver the chills. The acting is a little ham by todays standards, but it's far and away better than most of the so called scary stuff they shurn out today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭The Reaper

Originally posted by mike65
    After due thought and consideration I'd have to say Straight-to-video Lesbian Vampire flicks are my favourite! :D

I like hammy hammer/amicus flicks.

Mike.

wat ever u do dont get k-sex lesbiens from a different planet! it is the shítest thing goin anywhere and in any film! its extremly shít!

i like gore! cuz blood freaks me out but i do love to be freaked out!

Advertisement