Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AoE 2

Options
  • 06-03-2001 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭

can anyone point me too a good strategy guide for AoE 2???

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

]Jag[ <

He Keeps kicking my ass frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

well thats nice to know but am IT DOESN'T HELP ME!!! tongue.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

online or single player?

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

http://ageofkings.cc/ is pretty good

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Da'Bounca:
    online or single player?</font>
    online!
    i'm playin some friends n ppl i know soon in on a lan games n i want to pull out a few fancy moves!! wink.gif

i usually use the late castle attack but hav used the sling shot attack once (i didn't no it was called that at the time! LOL)

[This message has been edited by azezil (edited 07-03-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Slingshot ?
    Is it Age of empires or age of kings ?

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Canaboid:
    Slingshot ?
    Is it Age of empires or age of kings ?
    </font>

u can do it either, two ppl, one supplies all resources n the other concentrates on buildin a huge army...was very effective for me cause i hate gatherin resources! biggrin.gif

the persians are the best, get elite elephants and monks and you are unstoppable, the monks heal the phants as they trundle along.nothing beats elephants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Hehe, soz, but your all newbies to it smile.gif

I played it on the zone for 6 months straight, what you want to do is reach castle with 30 villagers under 18min then do a knight attack (6-10 knights at the nme base before the 20min mark is decent). You should start a forward base with 2-3 villagers while in feudal and have a barracks, and either a stable or an archery....

Once you reach castle try to get a TC up near the nme base and build villagers for it. Then work on building more forces and getting a castle up.

Ok, well that should get you up and running, then its just a case of either attacking a lot during the castle age or going for a quick imperial jump (sub 25min). The best classes would be either Britons (good sheep herding, cheap TC's) Franks (good farms and good knights for your rush) or Celts (good wood cutting and decent tech tree for imperial age).

The best sites for tactics...hmmm...try age of kings heaven (can't rember the addy for it, do a search smile.gif )

Hope this helps smile.gif

UP DA DUBS!! :)

no no no.

dont listen to him, get elephants!.

• Advertisement

elephants were great in aoe ror but they're not so good in aok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Chubby

Elephants are only good for raping newbies who takes too long. And you can counter them easily enough with pikemen as they do an extra 47 damage to elephants and spearmen do an extra 30. Remember, pikemen are dirt cheap too.

The trick really is speed, controlling the resources, don't waste resources, know your enemy, mixed army and don't be afraid to be aggressive (god that's a lot).

Speed:
    Most games with players who knows what they are doing is a rush to the castle age as you'll get access to good units plus build town centers to mine gold etc. This requires effectively utilizing the cheap resources at the start (boars are very important, find them and bring them to you!) and building only buildings you need for the next age at the right time, i.e. make sure they are ready just before or after you have enough resources for the next age. When I was playing this over a year ago, I could castle with almost every race (I always play random) in 13-15 mins. And you should have enough stone at this stage to start a castle immediately (2-3 villagers on a stone mine after feudal) and enough wood for a town centre and villagers already at a distant gold patch to start building it. The best players can do better on a good day and 15mins to castle is what people should be aiming for.

Control:
    Scout the terrain, make town centres to mine distant gold or other resources as you can garrison them and make more villages to gather stuff. This eliminate villagers travelling time. The more resources you take, the more units you can pump out at a faster rate etc.

Don't waste resources:
    don't research techs you don't use like siege engines if you mainly use infantry. Make use of the unique units you have. If you are say the celts, you know you get a kick ass infranty in the form of the woad warriors so don't waste resources upgrading the normal infrantry.

Know the civs:
    Basically get to know what units and bonuses are available to which race. Playing random a lot like I used to helps to learn this really quickly. This will help you predict what tactics and units your enemy will likely to use and so you can build counter units. Age of kings is really a sophisticated game of stone, paper and scissors. It's all about the counters. When fighting against say the franks, you just know they will use civalry so have some pikemen ready. Teutonic knights are dead meat for archers. And remember, some counters do extra damage to other units like pikemen do massive damage to elephants and an extra 22 to any mounted units (spearmen do +15). Camels +18 to mounted units so camela nd pikemen with archers in the back can easily counter a big paladin army. Good websites will have a list of damage

Mixed army:
    infrantry in the front ranks (defence mode) and lots of archers in the back (also defence mode) and slowly push them towards enemies base. Some civalry close by to take out siege engines. Anyone try to attack you will be slaughtered and don't be afraid to use the infrantry as bait and then fall back to the archers. Or some infrantry, knights or paladins and trebuchets protected by lots of archers works very well too when destroying someone's base. Lots of combination works too but never build only 1 type of unit. That is unless your opponent is a muppet smile.gif

Be Aggressive:
    some early archers or scouts to pick off your enemies vilalges works great. If you are confident in your advanve time, you should also have a small army ready to attack before you castle. Some infantry will do, and send them over when you are in castle and start the upgrade. The upgrade should finish before you reach the enemy if map is big enough or just wait at edge of his base. Don't suicide by running towards his town centre. Harrass anything out of the arrow range so his villagers can't go to work. Archers are great for taking out villagers early on. Remember to scout often and take out his expansions when you find them.

Well that's it but there is a lot more I can say. This should get you started though and I recommend you go check out http://aok.heavengames.com . Man I missed this game, haven't played in ages.

[This message has been edited by Chubby (edited 07-03-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Canaboid

Send all the elephants and monks you want at me, very simple to counter with well researched monks and a few archers. Archers kill your monks and monks steal your elephants.
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by richindub2:
    Hehe, soz, but your all newbies to it smile.gif</font>

Don't think so Rich, I'll take ya. Want to play (zone or IP) some evening/weekend ?

Advertisement