Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What do I say?

• 02-02-2003 3:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi -- I've been unfortunate to have been single for over a year, but for the first time since then, I have found a girl that I'd really like to go after. We are quickly becoming friends, but I am smitten, and fear the "let's just be friends" b.s. that we all know happens. ;)

However, due to lack of recent inexperience and shyness, I'm not really sure what to say. I don't want to go and ask her out right away, but I want to make it somewhat clear that I like her. What kinds of things should I talk about? I hope that helps, and I hope you can help me. This girl is everything I've hoped to find and I don't want to make a mess of it. Thanks a lot!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Just ask her out, or in. A mate of mine always asks girls to go to his house for dinner and they always go over. Otherwise ask her out - to a movie or a cafe or a pub or a bull-fight.

"Hey, do you want to go out sometime and have a coffee?"

Or how about - "Hey do you want to come back to my place and look at my etchings?"

At the end of the day - what do you like doing? Whatever that is - ask her if she wants to join you and doo it together. Good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

"Hey, do you want to go out sometime and have a coffee?"

dont use that line if you are under 19 .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Why bothering asking internet bums? As if we know.

Try pinching her arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Right, if you dont know what to talk about with this girl you're crazy about then whats the point?

Thats not emant meanly, but more as a "think about it" point.

Why are you smitten? Is she a fox? has she a nice personality? Is she just someone you want to be with because you want to be with someone and she'll do? based on what you answer to the above should give you a clue as to whether or not you actually want to go out with her or to just shag her.

If you've only just met her and the friends thing is working out then just mix in a little flirting, in my opinion being asked out tends to be ****ty.... it's so much easier, nicer and more stable if you just kinda gently drift into kissing, etc. and then at some stage make it a "going out" thing, when both of you want to.

You never know, you might kiss her for the first time and find yourself utterly repulsed, great fun for you to try and break up with her after being with her for 10 minutes.

Summarizing all the waffle, there's no need to "ask her out", go with the flow, flirt a little by complimenting her, making & keeping eye contact and smiling, if it's going to happen then it will. don't complicate it by getting all heavy straight away.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭frood4t2

Thanks for your advice (except for Drunk Pirate's tongue-in-cheek response, but it's the effort that counts ;)) Smiles, the course of action you suggest is basically the one that I've been taken, I guess I'll keep at it. I see her practically every day, so it sounds like a proper plan.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Drunk pirate

Hey, actions speak more than words!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How about the "I really like you conversation"?

Or when saying goodnight / goodbye try a kiss on her cheek and see where it goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Tyrrial

this might seem weird... but ask her to marry you, kind of as a joke thing, then get a friend to act as the preist... finally when "now kiss the bride" comes along. smooch her good

(ok it actually worked for me)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭DriftingRain

Tyrrial....Did that really work??? Lol If it did you must be very handsome! Lol It was a cute notion...I agree with smiles. Go with the flow and don't be too pushy! A nice smile always wins my heart...:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

"Hey do you want to come back to my place and look at my etchings?"
    Gord, does that actually work?

Yea, I agree With Fio, Go with Teh Flow!
    If she is showing the signs then she could just be expecting you to break the ice,
    Go for a coffee is always a good thing,
    but remember to go somewhere that you will be comfortable,

Ever See "40 days & 40 nights"?
    He brought yer wan to his safe house (the bus) where they could just talk and get to know one another, he felt comfortable there, and didnt feel under pressure.
    Remember that its much harder to be yourself when your Paranoid of ppl around you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Originally posted by Doodee
    Gord, does that actually work?
    heh, I never have actually used it but I'm sure if both parties were equally interested then the etchings phrase would be a funny way of saying it. Hmm I may just try that for you Doodee and see how I get on. (I'll bring some sort of face-slap protection with me)

And I definately agree about finding somewhere that you feel is your turf. Wherever you feel the most happy and comfortable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Mewzel

this might seem weird... but ask her to marry you, kind of as a joke thing, then get a friend to act as the preist... finally when "now kiss the bride" comes along. smooch her good

that may have worked for us but we're a special case ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭Typedef

Originally posted by Drunk pirate
    Why bothering asking internet bums? As if we know.

Try pinching her arse.

I think I prefare the term....

iterweb wierdo

and I might just try pinching her arse.....

again.

muhahahahaha

Advertisement