Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem sharing a printer?

Options
  • 02-02-2003 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Story...I haven't actually seen the problem myself but its been explained to me by a woman who knows what shes talkin about and this is whats happening...

2 computers, server running windows 2000 pro edition and a second computer running windows 95, connected to the server pc is a printer and this is where the problem lies, they want the printer to be available over the network but when they try to use it they are asked to enter the network password and no one knows it...

On the server you can see the second pc and you can see the server on the second pc, all seems to be ok except with the printer which is all that they really want working...

Any ideas wots the best way to go about curing this?

Farlz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Dr. Dre

I assume the "file and printer sharing for microsoft networks" protocol is installed ? That might be your first step.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

The network password for the windows95 machine will be equivalent to a user account on the Win2000 machine. Create a new user account on the server and use the win95 machine to log on with this.

On the server share out the printer and the win95 pc, after logging onto the network ( must hit ok with a username/password ), will be able to access it.

Gav

Advertisement