Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent beat em ups on the Dreamcast

Options
  • 02-03-2001 11:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭

Apart from Soul Calibur, what are the best beat em ups out there for DC, recommendations?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Ready 2 Rumble - great fun!

There are also a good lump of Capcom 2d Street Fighter clones on it aswell, so if you like that kind of thing...

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

i have mortal kombat gold edition on DC.
    its ver good, tis a hardcore fighting game though, fast and furious. it has all the old characters as well, which is nice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

But... but... Mortal Kombat is rubbish smile.gif

Aside from Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive 2 is top stuff, and you're spoiled for choice with 2D stuff - Capcom vs SNK and Street Fighter Third Strike come to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

coming soon......
    fighting vipers 2
    virtua fighter x
    project justice

Fighting Vipers 2 is disappointingly cack frown.gif

VFX looks the business mind. Haven't seen Project Justice running, so I can't judge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

here shinji,
    have you played mortal kombat on DC?, i know
    it has been a dissapointment on other consoles, but it is one of the few proper fighting games on the DC. street fighter sucks, those capcom ones have too much super move bollix, S Calibur and MK are well balanced , although button bashing in S Claibur is effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭black_wizardd

Guilty Gear X comes to mind, its a cracking 2d beat'em up, far better than all this 3d stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ThunderingMike

Marvel Vs. Capcom II is brilliant really. Completely insane game. Guilty Gear X looks class and so does Project Justice.

[This message has been edited by ThunderingMike (edited 05-03-2001).]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 janus

Dead or alive 2 is probablt the best one like Soul calibur, although my personal faves are street fighter alpha 3 (sign of a mispent youth) and snk vs capcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

yeh VF2 isnt what it should be...i believe
    but MK is complete dung watching paint dry is far far more fun....(no reallly it is)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Best 2D Fighter has to have been King of the Fighters '94, relived on NeoRageX EMU. That game is the dogs ********, and the Music is just sheer class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Guilty gear just seemed like all gfx, no gameplay bar huge specials and hard to do combo's.
    Last blade final edition ( not that i've played it but presuming its as good at least as the neo geo version ) has gotta be up there as one of the best.

As far as the DC goes and beat em ups, that pad is just too annoying to hold and more annoying to play beat em ups with.

Grab an ACSII pad from maderia games, then. Most real beat'em'up fans use one of those for DC stuff, although unless you're an amazingly hardcore beatemup fan, the DC pad itself is pretty much pefect - a lot more comfortable than anything else out there, bar the N64 pad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

I like the DC pad for beatemups I must say, though after three hours of Soul Calubur it can get a bit uncomfortable.

It's a lot easier to do quarter or full circle motions then the PS pads, and diagonals are far more reliable.

I bought DoA2 after checking out the opinions here and reading some reviews and although I need to play it some more first impressions were not too favourable.

Nice graphics but the characters are totally lacking in character, moves are v basic and repititous and it doesn't seem to have anything like the depth of the fight system of Soul Calibur or Tekken 3.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

My brother has DOA2 on the PS2 and I'm not overly impressed - I don't find anything ground breaking in it, but it's got a solid "you know where you stand" feel about it. Overall - good, but not great.

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Having played beat em up's since street fighter 1 and having been in more gaming tournies for beat em ups than i could count i can tell you quite happily that dead or alive is a button bashers dream.

Not matter how well you know the moves in the game, someone can always trounce you using the insanely stupid parry button.
    Its fun for about 3 minutes until you've seen the t1tties and tossed someone off a building and from then on its all down hill.
    It takes alot from the virtua fighter type of gameplay, we'll see for VF4 but i'm not too hopeful.

On the horizon we have soul calibur 2, tekken 4, hell Z.O.E. has a better versus mode when you've cleared it than dead or alive 2 smile.gif

Advertisement