Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IE 5.5 + Advert Software = Big Mess

Options
  • 02-02-2003 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭

Ok - downloaded a net game DopeWars2.0 or summat like that. And with it came a GAIN advertising software thing that popped up ads every so often.

I noticed that after I did this Internet Explorer froze up a lot more often than usual (especially when multiple windows were open)

Now - I deleted the game I downloaded (pile of crap really) and then went to uninstall the GAIN software (Gator I think it's called or GMT) it told me to uninstall all applications associated with it and then use the Add/Remove programs option to rid of it.

Problem is it doesn't appear on the Add/Remove program list. Bastards. I tried just tracking down the files and deleting them manually but they're all protected.

Anyone got any ideas.

Ah ****e.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Grab Adaware here. Nice spiffing spanking new version 6 just out.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Not available for download yet, AFAICS.

- Dave.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hmmm, odd - I obviously picked it up somewhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I too was going to try Dopewars in a fit of boredom one day. When I went to install it I got a message informing me that the program was financed by the adware included in the package (which I thought was nice as most infected programs tell you fuc* all) so I aborted the install. My PC is being dragged down by enough self starting programs as it is.

Advertisement