Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Options
  • 02-02-2003 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone heard this NIN cover of his? I've never really liked the guys music but this tune simply amazing IMHO.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Is he on his 3rd album of cover songs of modern rock bands now ? Some of the covers are pretty damned good.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I have his last 4 albums (from American Recordings on, last 3 are cover albums) and there is some pretty impressive and unexpected stuff on them (they still contain mostly country type tunes though except the last release The Man Comes Around).
    A few highlights would be his covers of Soundgarden's Rusty Cage, Tom Petty's I won't back down and Neil Diamond's Solitary Man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Yeah thats the one most people say is great.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I have the album it comes from, and also enjoy it. Though his rendition of "Personal Jesus", the Depeche Mode number is a bit strange.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Originally posted by Manach
    Though his rendition of "Personal Jesus", the Depeche Mode number is a bit strange.

I think it's pretty good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭francie brady

I think Johnny Cashs time is nearly up. I don't think he has much time left on this planet. And i think he knows this too. Man comes around sounds like his epitaph. But in saying that he's making the best music of his long career. Johnny started his recording career at the same time as Elvis, Elvis who i hear you cry. Johnny has teamed up up Rick Rubin(the rock producer) for his american series which is at America IV. You can bet that Rick rubin has been a major influcance in Johnnys choice of songs.
    I haven't got America I or II but i have to recomend III and IV which i have. Go buy them. I and II and very hard to find. But theres a Danzig 13 song and Rusty Cage by Soundgarden on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Did you see the vidio for hurt?

I like the song but the vidio is a bit creppy he is certinally no spring chicken but to bo putting out music of that quality at his age you have to take youre hat off to him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭poobags

I dont think those previous comments were very fair to him. To Place himself and Elvis on the same pedestal is completlely ignoring the fact that Johnny was a country artist not a rock and roller.
    His stuff over the past fifty years has been consistently above par and he will no doubt be regarded for many years as the best country artist to ever walk the planet. He has influenced probably more in your album collections than you think. If you
    "love" Wilco than you should jove Johnny.

AS for Hurt, it is probably the most sincere cover if not song I have ever heard in my life. HIs voice is so poignant and pityful. THe lyrics reflect his current status, as a man close to death, battling sickness and numbness.

HIs booming voice in the chorus makes me wake up and smile. The video complements this tone perfectly, changing between shots of him as a young handsome artist and him as a crusty old man.
    Funkin genius
    He is the top bananna

P.S. Download a boy named sue , the uncensored. top banana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

Originally posted by francie brady
    I think Johnny Cashs time is nearly up. I don't think he has much time left on this planet. And i think he knows this too. Man comes around sounds like his epitaph.

very true.
    I saw him on no disco as well a couple of weeks ago and he doesn't look good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭da_deadman

Johnny Cash is brilliant. a great songwriter and like poobags said he has had an influence on a huge number of artists from all types of music. Everyone needs to own at least one of his albums. As for covers, his version of U2s One is amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

100 reasons why Johnny Cash is Cool :)

excellent song and video is pretty damned cool. 42megs quicktime for you slow ass 56kers. i got lucky last week when i found a tune by my two favourite singers, bob dylan and johnny cash on Girl From the North Country. truly beautiful song.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

The cool thing about this cover is the difference between (almost) exactly the same words being song by an angry young man like Reznor and a 70-year old man who's seen it all, drunk it all and shot some of it. The latter adds to the nihilism of NIN and actually makes it more damning for all its relative calm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭shotamoose

Originally posted by adnans
    100 reasons why Johnny Cash is Cool :)

excellent song and video is pretty damned cool. 42megs quicktime for you slow ass 56kers. i got lucky last week when i found a tune by my two favourite singers, bob dylan and johnny cash on Girl From the North Country. truly beautiful song.

adnans

Oh yeah. Their version of Girl From the North Country is stunning, one of my favourite tracks ever. I once bought a bootleg album with the rest of the songs the two of them recorded in that session. Most are nowhere near the quality of GFTNC - Bob's vocalizing is pretty weird throughout - but there's good versions of 'I walk the line' and 'One too many mornings'.

Johnny Cash is great, frankly I can't believe he's still going so every extra album and track is a bonus. I'll just have to go buy Man Comes Around now :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭SweetBirdOfTruth

Advertisement