Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX/Mobo Trouble?

• 03-02-2003 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭

Ever since day one, when I first put my pc together. I've had this strange problem where the graphics on screen shows all these fast moving horizontal lines. I fixed this originally by fiddling with the connection on the back..so I just chalked it down as monitor troubles.

Since then I've tried it on several other monitors...same problem shows on all of them :/

Then I thought the card was't connecting right and whenever I fiddled with it, it worked properly again.

I've reseated the card several times, but the problem keeps cropping up...and lately it's been getting a hell of alot worse and hapepning more frequently.

The whole screen starts shaking and the graphics pause sometimes while the sound repeats..then it throws up some garbage on screen. I literally have to bang the case to sort this out ;o

Could it be a motherboard problem?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

When you tried different monitors did you use different cables?

This happened toa friend of mine on his geforce3 and it appeared it was a gfx problem as his fan has stopped workign so it overheated.

However if banging the case seems to fix it i dont know.

Id try putting ur gfx card into another machine and see if it still occurs. if it does you know its the gfx. If not you at least know your gfx is ok and must be mobo or cable.

To me it sounds like very bad drivers or dodgy gfx.
    Im far from being an expert tho. GL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

I had to replace mine last week. I had the gfx card out to fit a new hdd before and when it all went back together and booted up I had no video and no beeps to suggest what was wrong. PC World were kind enough to test my gfx card (for free!) and it worked. When I got home and stuck it back in... BINGO! I reckoned it must have been static or something equally peculiar that the other PC had sorted for me.
    Last week the card was out again for another hdd but this time nothing would get my video output going. Another trip to PC world (no I don't work there, it's only 5 mins from my house) and I got a new mobo for €120 (MSI 6390, don't tell me I was robbed! Please!) and all was well with the world and I was glad I didn't have to spend €300+ on a new gfx card.
    If you can, try a new vid card in it first though as it will save you a lot of trouble with the o/s.

P.S. For Sale: 1 x Abit KG7 Lite mobo in ahem near perfect condition, offers above €0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Originally posted by B-K-DzR
    When you tried different monitors did you use different cables?

This happened toa friend of mine on his geforce3 and it appeared it was a gfx problem as his fan has stopped workign so it overheated.

However if banging the case seems to fix it i dont know.

Id try putting ur gfx card into another machine and see if it still occurs. if it does you know its the gfx. If not you at least know your gfx is ok and must be mobo or cable.

To me it sounds like very bad drivers or dodgy gfx.
    Im far from being an expert tho. GL

Mines also a GF3. Hercules Ti200 Flava, to be precise. Couldnt be the monitors..i've tried different monitors with different cables, and they all work grand on other machines.

Could very well be overheating actually. Perhaps the fan isn't properly secured to the card, and hitting it puts it in place. The pc has been running pretty hot lately..(55 cpu, 35 system). Artifacts are a sign of overheating right, and i've been getting quite alot of them. Fs...and I haven't even tried upping the clockspeed yet and already its overheating :(

I'll give it a shot in other machine tho..all the same

Advertisement