Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iain (M.) Banks

Options
  • 29-01-2003 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭

Is Iain M. Banks any good? I've tried to read The Wasp Factory but couldn't get past the first chapter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Em, thats iain Banks, the name he writes under for fiction rather than Sci-Fi. try reading "use of weapons"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

New thread made, cause I'm an Iain (M.) Banks fan.

Wasp Factory can be rather difficult to get into, but once you've read it you'll love it, just keep going and you'll get there!

I've tried reading "Use of Weapons" twice before, and it's only this week that i'm actually getting into it and it's making (some) sense.

In my opinion he's one of the most gifted (live) authors.

Read Complicity, it's ****ing amazing.

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

reading Consider Phlebas recently and it was o.k however reading the Player of Games at the moment, just finishing it and its brilliant highly recommeded, i think the Use of Weapons is next on his publication list i will pick it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

So far i've read Consider Phlebas (very good but not the best to start off with), Use of Weapons (one of my all time favourite books), Excession (FOOKING BRILLIANT!! and hilarious), The State of The art (classic....just classic), Inversions (not all that great, but ok i guess) and Look to Windward(very very good too) of his Sci-Fi ones, and of the Fiction ones:

The Bridge(very good), Whit(Emm...Unique look on modern life :) ) and The business (hilarious....lets buy a state so we can have a seat in The UN :) )

he is quite possibly the most inventive and creative and metnally ****ed up writers i've ever come across :)

I'd definitely agree with ya Fio.

well i think on that recommendation i will pick up the rest of his sci-fi range, i'll wait abit before deciding on the the fiction stuff. currently reading "Do androids dream of electric sheep?" by Philip K. Dick anyone know if any of his other stuff is any good?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 406 ✭✭shep the malevolent pixie

yaay, bladerunner is based on that book- one of my favourite films ever. philip k. dick is cool.
    sHep :cool:

just finished watching blade runner for the first time about 10 minutes ago decided to rent it after finishing the book, it was o.k i suppose, like the kinda electric music (best way i could think of to describe it) reminded me a bit of clockwork orange must say though that i preferred the book, but then again isn't that a cliche.

might take a look at the some of the stuff Banks writes under Iain Banks give it a try, anyone else recommend any other sci-fiction?

Personally i say if you haven't read Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game buy it tomorrow its brilliant.

Advertisement