Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Php support

Options
  • 03-02-2003 12:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭

Hey Guys,
    Here's the situation:
    I'm thinking about creating a website using php...
    Installing the php support is not a problem, neither are the servers... ultimately everthing will work fine !!
    what will happen if i want to save some of the .php pages on a disk and give them to somebody else to view on their machines... will they need to have php installed ??
    I'm guessing the obvious answer is YES -- but things would be easier if they didn't!!
    thanks...

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

what will happen if i want to save some of the .php pages on a disk and give them to somebody else to view on their machines... will they need to have php installed ??

Strictly speaking, yes. The way around it is to run a spider - like ht://Dig - against the site and save the spidered pages.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Fi_C**

As far as I know the site will be on an intranet only ang won't be on the web... i've never actually heard of 'running a spider' (wot are good sites that i can get info from?) will this make a difference to your suggestion??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭P3nfold

If you send your friend the php source file it will only be a source file, it is the php which you install on your webserver which interperates the course and places the output on the page. take for example:

<html>
    <head><title>php</title></head>
    <body>
    <?php
    echo "test<br />";
    ?>
    test
    </body>
    </html>

Save as test.php and place in your htdocs directory, public_html or whichever is your root ht document directory.

Start up your webserver, if you see the following then you will know php is working correctly.

test
    test

My suggestion is to just install apache (phptriad for windows which comes with mysql and a php installer and the apache httpd) and just use that to view your php projected pages..

Advertisement