Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Evil Dead 2

Options
  • 03-02-2003 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭

What's the big hype about these films?

I started watching it last night but couldn't keep it up.

I'm not a great fan of cheese.

Am I different?
    Am I missing some carefully secluded point?

:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

evil dead 2 is by far the best.

3 is very funny, but its a bit too intentional, while with 2 your not sure if its supposed to be funny or not.

evil dead 1 is ok, very low budget and ash hadn't found his feet yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Evil Dead (1) is great, but by no means anywhere near as brilliant as the other two. Ash definitely hadn't found his feet yet, the humour wasn't there as much.

That's what Evil Dead is all about. Mixing horror with comedy.

Sam Raimi and Peter Jackson are absolutely brilliant at doing it. Not everyone will like their films, obviously, some people just don't appreciate talent :rolleyes:

It's worth watching just for Bruce Campbell's excellent one-man-show-ability. Tons of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

They're not technically brilliant movies... it's all down to Bruce Campbell's character, and the way in which he plays him. The accidental hero role suits him perfectly 'cos he always seems perplexed by wtf is happening... or to put it another way, you're expecting him to sh*t himself any second :]

...and then theres the absolutely classic one-liners he comes out with, my particular favourite being:

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me... Blow."

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Oh man!

The first film was one of the downright scariest, and seriously nerve-racking!!!
    The other films, however brilliant they are, just didn't have that bite!

But the humour in the other two films are clearly unmatched.
    There's very rarely a time when I dont try to slip in some quote from the series in pub-talk or whatnot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Originally posted by PiE
    They're not technically brilliant movies... it's all down to Bruce Campbell's character, and the way in which he plays him. The accidental hero role suits him perfectly 'cos he always seems perplexed by wtf is happening... or to put it another way, you're expecting him to sh*t himself any second :]

...and then theres the absolutely classic one-liners he comes out with, my particular favourite being:

"First you wanna kill me, now you wanna kiss me... Blow."

:D

You see, I've heard of all these quotes, but either the divx is fucked for sound or I was just too tired to appreciate/hear it, cos for the life (death) of me I couldn't make out anything.
    The hand was funny enough I guess :)

To be completely honest Syx, to fully appreciate The Evil Dead 2, you need to watch it with a beer in hand, and a few friends strewn about the room. But if your Divx was ****ed, then you've seriously missed out.

We'll sort you out soon though.
    My place with a crate, and a few select friends. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

A sense of Humour and an apreatition of all things horror help when watching these films really help! And yeh like star wars the second film proves to be the best yet again! Hm i could say the same about back to the future too! Police Academy 2 may have been best as well! Jaws 2 on the other hand lost it all together!

Ah theres me babaling after a few bottles of the fink again! Ah well! This is my boom stick, it retails for about 199.99, got a walnut stock,colbolt blue , an a hair trigger, so shop smart shop S mart.. ah hell i cant rember it anwway just enjoy the films!

ANd after you watch the evil dead flicks watch brain dead as well. Jackson and Rami genisus before they even had money to make the big budget films they make today!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

In my opionion one of the best films ever made. An absolute classic. Sam Rami's direction is excellent. I have waited for years for him to recieve a big budget film he deserves (spiderman) and he made a class job of it too. Bruce Cambells one man show should have gotten an oscar. Pure genius.
    The hand was funny enough I guess

The book he puts on top of the bin over the severed hand "a farewell to arms" class :D

The camera work is excellent too. Esp when ash falls head first into the pool of water and the camera spins up - brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

they are all good :) but 1 and 2 are my favs....they are great :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Originally posted by daveg
    The camera work is excellent too. Esp when ash falls head first into the pool of water and the camera spins up - brilliant.

Don't forget the 'Ash-spinning-thru-the-forest' shot :]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

I have waited for years for him to recieve a big budget film he deserves (spiderman)
    What about Darkman? That was reasonably big-budget. And probably more enjoyable than Spider-man.

I think Evil Dead (esp 2 in my opinion) is testiment to Rami's genius. Such a low budget - and yet an effective horror movie. In my mind I would put Rami up there with James Cameron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

Bruce Campbell is the man.
    Ash is the man.

And thus ends my argument. Evil Dead rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

Righty'o

In my drinken birthday state (have I milked that to death, I think not) I feel I must commant on this. As a Fan of low buget movies and early works of great people.

Alone in the Woods (I beleave it was called)(the starter of the movies) I have never seen this as its lik gold. its very rare to get a copy of it.

Evil Dead (the book of the dead) The fisrt movie made for canns really made by Sam Ramie/Bruce Camble/Josh Becker ( a great 3 some for movies)

The Evil Dead 2: A remake of the first movie. (wich was made on like $30,000) had got more that 3 times that. (may be wrong as I'm drunk) They wanted to see what they could do with some money!

The Army Of Darkness: Over the 3 movies the tone changed. From Horrer/gore movie to Black Comadie to swash buckling comadie. With a much larger buget they made a classic movie out of all 3!

Something I beleave that makes them so great is that they take the piss out of them selfs all the time. and dont try to be something else!

Great movies altogether!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

... You forgot to add "I love you guys". :D
    Well played writing a post at all though; when I'm that pissed I can't even turn the computer on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Tip for yas.

Xtra Vision have the latest R2 DVD version of Army of Darkness (2 disc set! Lots of extras) for €15!

Nyom.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Nice one Koneko, thanks for the heads up.
    I shall be making a trip down to xtra vision tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Sam Raimi had a big enough budget on Simple Plan and made a great job of that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

Was talking about Evil Dead 2 in the pub last night actually. It's sort of Evil Dead 1.5, part remake, part sequel. I have to say I prefer AOD but there's plenty of fun to be had in 2. Both Campbell and Raimi are big fans of the 3 Stooges so the whole section with the hand kinda makes sense.

Fave bit from ED2:

Ash, going a little crazy, looks at his reflection in the mirror.

Ash: I'm okay, I'm alright

His reflection reaches through the mirror and grabs him.

MirrorAsh: No you're not!!!

Actually that might have been AOD now that I think of it. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭patch

yeah, i love 2, i've fond memories of watching it with my mate dave at the cinema(in a double-bill with critters-the last of the b movies surely) when we were about twelve! 3 however didn't have the same kick for me, the last time i saw it, i was reminded more of xena than of evil dead! of course xena is a raimi creation too........

Originally posted by pauldeehan
    Fave bit from ED2:

Ash, going a little crazy, looks at his reflection in the mirror.

Ash: I'm okay, I'm alright

His reflection reaches through the mirror and grabs him.

MirrorAsh: No you're not!!!

Actually that might have been AOD now that I think of it. :rolleyes:

Yes its ED2, and it more was this:

MirrorAsh: We just cut up our girlfriend with a chainsaw! Does that sound alright!?!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭echomadman

its a trick, get an axe...............

I seem to be saying that a lot these days,

when'st thou retrieved the book, didst thou speak the words?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 The_Bullet

The Evil Dead films are classics.Bruce Campbell is da man.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

In my opionion one of the best films ever made

BIT of an over statement there... hah :)

I rember seeing a Doc about how they did the films. The camera work was the idea of two out of work students Robert Tabert and SAM RAMI ( He Deserves caps ). The secenes where the evil chases ash was their idea and it sold the film. They duck taped the camera to a plank of wood ( Yeah a 4x2 ). Then took an end of it each and ran though the woods holding an end of the plank each moving it up and down alternitavily. Pure genius! They made a short film of them chasing some girl into a cabin ( 5 mins worth ) in black and white. They then went aroung small busniessmen/shops/supermarkes and set up a super 8 vid projector to show them their idea. They got a load of investors and got the film made. The investors got their money back times 4, and the rest is just Bruce camble history! Hail to the king!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭ObeyGiant

Originally posted by spooky donkey
    I rember seeing a Doc about how they did the films.
    The Evil Dead Companion (great book - hard to find around Dublin now though) and Bruce Campbell's autobiography "If Chins Could Kill" (possibly even better, and definitely even harder to find around Dublin) both go into excrutiating detail about some of the low-tech solutions they came up with to achieve some of the shots in the Evil Dead movies. For example - they couldn't afford a dolly (a camera on tracks, that allows for really smooth movement of the camera), so they just greased up a 2x4, and slid the camera along it.

Also - Bruce Campbell's descriptions and diagrams of both the Ram-o-cam (the camera designed to smash through the window of the car, and follow it through) and the Sam-o-cam (the camera/vehicle designed to spin Bruce Campbell around) are absolutely incredible.

From Sam Raimi's foreword in "If Chins Could Kill":
    "And who, may I ask, is going to read this book? His illiterate fans? ... See, Bruce is like a puppet. My puppet. I pull a string, he smiles. I pull another, and he runs through the woods and hits his head against the tree. And that's it. So tell me, whose story is more interesting? The puppet or the puppet master?"

One of my most prized possessions is the Evil dead 2 Limited edition tin box from the US.

912476_full.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭Mac daddy

nice tin daveg, i only have the crappy dvd version box and the same for the vhs box,,, Bruce is da man

• Advertisement

thanks for that info obeu giant i may go looking for thoes books so! There`s more than one way to kill a cat!

Advertisement