Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does size really matter?

Options
  • 11-03-2001 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭

With regard to the recent trend of publishers selling their (P.C.) games in small DVD style cases instead of the larger splendour of the cardboard box, I was wondering what the infinitely wise people of the Games board had to say on this. Perhaps a little poll? A little Plastic or a lot of cardboard? You decide!
    Cardboard crew - 7:11 plastic, erm, ppl
    Wtf was OJ voting for? cool.gif

[This message has been edited by Steven (edited 16-03-2001).]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

a little plastic. Large boxes look nice but they are just a waste of space, especially when some of the boxes you have break to get at the CD and it's only a CD in the dam thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Steven

The thing about the little plastic is that you'd never fit a decent manual in there (flight-sim anyone?) and you'll end up with a whole load of on-line documentation. God I hate that. I have the space, and there's nothing more satisfying than glancing over an atractive box collection (Yes, nothing. I lead a lonely life wink.gif ) But I'd have to agree that, in general, the tiny plastic lads are the choice for the spacially challenged cool.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭[SKT]Raven

Cardboard all the way! I love the damn boxes as they are lol

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Well its a bastad the way if you want to make a backup of your game, you can't scan a cd cover frown.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

i prefer the new plastic ones! the cardboard ones look good at first but get tattered real easy....especially in my room!!! LOL biggrin.gif

"just because ur not paraniod, doesn't mean they're not after u!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

The plastic ones are grand but I'd buy the dvd-cased games as a preference.

Nil Desperandum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

Definately the DVD-case. It looks so much better and take up less space, plus if you have some DVDs too they look well stored together smile.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭davoc

boxes are beautiful, looks like a really solid pruchase you've made when u arrive home with a lovely big box under your arm.
    i have a nice collection over my head right now, so i can marvel at them while waiting for snl to refresh some page.
    i have a favourite actually, the plutonium pak add on for duke nukem a few years back.lovely coarse card board cover on it , beautiful feel off it smile.gif the undoubted king of my collection there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Small plastic ones. I just cleared out my fsking WARDROBE full of cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Q_Ball

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OJ:
    Well its a bastad the way if you want to make a backup of your game, you can't scan a cd cover frown.gif</font>

LOL OJ, do you make backups of ALL your games? and how much would these "backups" fetch if they were to be sold wink.gif

NARF!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

The DVD cased ones are better by far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

Woo cardboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

The DVD cases are by far better, now if only they would start doing it that way over here...

A no-win situation is a possiblity that every commander may face.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

I have to go with the cardboard, although I hate the waste involved since i throw the box away as soon as it is opened, but the dvd cases dont fit in my cd rack:/ If they sold the things as just normal cd cases maybe ...

But there is also the manuals issue, I never read the scanned manuals and have ended up buyin games that i don't play simply because I can'ty be bothered tryin to read a pdf.

Redesigned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 *Harlequin*

Just to add my two-penneth...definitely DVD cases. Less space taken up and fits snuggly next to the DVD collection.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I'm definitely a fan of the DVD, but the thing about Cardboard is, I can stack the contents in my computer desk (there's 2 cd racks and a bookshelf) really easily and I don't have a DVD stacker upper thing yet wink.gif

Also, there is that gratifying thing about buying a big box and opening it. But, I can fit several DVD cases into my pockets if I go mad in the shops and buy all around me!

Anyway - after this terrible internal debate - I'll go with DVD - you can't fight progress!

All the best,

Dav
    @B^)
    <font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Prepare yourself - The Beefy King stirs from his slumber...</font>

[honey i] violated [the kids]

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

defo boxs, i have a big ol collection of them from me first game i bought to the latest. PH33R MEH

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

cardboard boxes go into the bin straight away. dvd cases are much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭tobi

The cardboard boxes take up too much space for my liken, the DVD boxes are a lot neater and male for a nicer collection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Megatron

Cardboard .... love the stuff
    I had a hugh room, but now i've got enough room to stack them really high !!!

No !!!!! I will crush you with my Bare hands

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭DrunkLeprachaun

I was just thinking; how do they fit multiple CD games into the plastic boxes?

THEY CAN'T!!!!!!!!

Cardboard 1, Plastic -17.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....mmmm...
    I quite fancy DVD cases with meh games, it's a pain in the tits lugging an almost empty box around town, especially if you want to do other shopping.

But then it's nice to have so much room for screenshots and text on the box.
    A smaller case with less info would make me think harder about buying a game... unless I've already played the demo.
    But then games that don't get pimped on magazine cover disks are generally shìte anyway.

And another thing! - When you walk into a game shop, you usually look around for the "big boxes", so you know it's the PC section... I don't want to have to read the little signs ffs.

Advertisement