Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MBNA Credit card

Options
  • 03-02-2003 5:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking about getting an MBNA credit card, and dumping mu aib one. I have heard that MBNA are fairly good, but i'm wondering has anyone signed up for the tesco credit card? Is there a website which compares interest rates etc.?

being able to pay the bill online as at the moment all of my accounts are with aib, and all are online

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My g/f bro has a tesco one,

it very handy as everytransaction gets points

so if he put 200 quid on paddypower online then withdraws it he gets 400points

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I transferred to an MBNA Visa from an Ulster Bank one, simply because:
    • 1. They almost doubled my credit limit.
    • 2. They gave me an interest rate of 1.6% for the first six months which helped me knock bigger chunks out of my balance.
    • 3. They gave me a cheque book.
    I've found the staff in MBNA quite friendly and helpful and easy to deal with and it seems easier, somehow, to use the card outside of Ireland than the UB one - probably because the name is better known internationally, I guess..

The only drawback I've found so far is that I can't pay off my bill through Ulster Bank AnyTime and have to go to the Post Office once a month or so - but that's hardly a major issue, considering the savings involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Hi DMeehan - Why are you thinking of changing? Are you looking to save on interest payments? Or fees? Or to get a higher credit limit? Or what?

If you can tell us a bit more about what you want from your credit card company, we might be able to make some suggestions.

Regards - RainyDay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

I changed from AIB to MBNA almost a year ago and have never looked back. :)

For balance transfers,Ulster bank are currently cheapest at 1.5%apr afaik-thats for six months, so on €1000, you will owe them only €7.50 and thats not bad for 6 months!
    Same offer from,mbna but costing 1.9% apr.
    mm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

hey bard
    I've been thinking about moving companys for my CC.
    (main reason I can't pay online)

How would one go about this?
    is there a fee involved?
    etc

Originally posted by hussey
    hey bard

is there a fee involved?
    etc

Erm, you contact the company and say "I'd like to move my credit card to your company". It's as simple as that...

In more detail, however:

They send you an application form, you fill it out and send it back and (presuming that they accept the application), they create an account for you.

They then pay your existing balance on your existing card for you out of that account. This then forms your balance on the new card, which they send out to you, sending you a PIN number for it separately.

It's then up to you if you want to close your old credit card account and destroy the old card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

if he put 200 quid on paddypower online then withdraws it he gets 400points

Really?? Surely they would cop this otherwise you could just keep on doing it and racking up the points!?! :D tell us more..

hey bard

is there a fee involved?
    etc
    I'm not Bard but...:D
    theres no fee's in a simple balance transfer, they want your business and theres plenty competition.
    To go to MBNA only involves a call at first or fill out and send on the forms in the sunday papers.
    They will want a copy of 3 recent bank/credit card statements so their credit dept can decide a limit for you.
    You will be charged the govt levy of €40 though :(
    mm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have had an MBNA for years.. dead handy... as for paying the bill.. well i have it set for direct debit every month and pay the full cost so i have never been charged interest!! You can have it set to just pay the min due and then pay the rest yourself if you want.

Excellent service, never waited more than a few mins if i needed to call them to activate my card or increase my limit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

along with AIB.....

Very neat and secure pice of software that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

I just closed my MBNA account. One one hand they're REALLY easy to get a card from and they have an ok online banking facility, but I can't pay online from my UB account, they're absolute wh0res if you pay late (which I did once in the past year, through no fault of my own, and when I asked for an increase a few months ago they said no because I made that late payment 6 months previously!), they charge you a really big fee compared to other card co's if you do pay late, and woe betide you if you try and cancel your payment protection, it took me THREE calls to try and cancel it, but the guys they put you through to may as well go 'lalalal i'm not listening' when you say you want it cancelled.

I'd move to the AIB low interest mastercard, off the top of my head I can't remember the interest rate but it is the lowest in Ireland, it's great for balance transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

That is something to beware of when with MBNA. They charge for pretty much everything (late payments etc) and they can be really hard to cancel with.

Any reason why you want to dump the AIB card? You might want to consider the low-interest Mastercard from them.

Also OT a bit, but I thought it was interesting. Bard, you shouldn't have any problem using any credit card from any bank anywhere Visa/Mastercard are accepted. The issuing bank, whether is be UB, MBNA, or the Bank of Antartica, should make so difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,443 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I have just started 5 months work experience and was wondering what it be possible to apply for a MBNA credit card.

I hear they give them to anyone. I am onyl on about €300 a week could be less. I only want it to buy some things online etc.

They would give me a low credit limit but i am not bothered.

So anyone got an idea.

What would i need to send them to apply besides a application form.

Originally posted by BuffyBot

Also OT a bit, but I thought it was interesting. Bard, you shouldn't have any problem using any credit card from any bank anywhere Visa/Mastercard are accepted. The issuing bank, whether is be UB, MBNA, or the Bank of Antartica, should make so difference.

Oh I realise that, - I've used both.

It was all the same when paying for something there and then, - I just found it was easier and faster to use the MBNA one for withdrawing cash in certain places because it was a more recognised name than Ulster Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Did I hear of an irish company (Tesco ??) offering 6 months interest free purchases on credit card ?

Originally posted by daveg
    Did I hear of an irish company (Tesco ??) offering 6 months interest free purchases on credit card ?

I saw the TV ads for this but I think the interest free offer may be in the UK only - I could be wrong...

Their Visa card web page gives an interest rate of 5.9% on balance transfers for the first 6 months and 16.9% thereafter - cheaper, apparently, than all the banks (see http://www.tesco.ie/finance/visacards/index_comparerates.html ). MBNA are still lower than this, but for what it's worth, you get ClubCard points with the Tesco card.

BOI are offering 0% for six months on their Special Olympics Credit Card - no balance transfers accepted, though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Originally posted by eth0_
    charge you a really big fee compared to other card co's if you do pay late, and woe betide you if you try and cancel your payment protection, it took me THREE calls to try and cancel it, but the guys they put you through to may as well go 'lalalal i'm not listening' when you say you want it cancelled.

They were extremely inept whensetting up the card - sent a Visa not A Mastercard. Finally got an MC, they trie to back dabk the reduced interest period to wehen I got the Visa. Then they started applying the payment protection....

So I rang, and spent 20mins on the phone to their protection sales rep saying I'd ticked the box that said no protection plan, and that I wanted the €40 charge refunded. God love him he didn't give up for a while - but he caved :rolleyes:

One of the most irritating calls I ever made he did his patter, I ignored it, told him that I didn;t care I hadn't ticked the box - so he better refund the dough. Then he explained what a Good protection plan it was. At this point I told him that the phone was going on the desk, and that I'd pick up again when his voice stopped.

Got sorted though:D muppets:D

Have the card, don't use it much though now

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Originally posted by irishgeo

They would give me a low credit limit but i am not bothered.

So anyone got an idea.

What would i need to send them to apply besides a application form.

On €300 euro a week I bet you they'd give you a limit of at least a grand.

As for what you need, I think 6 months bank statements when I applied for mine, that was 3 years ago and I had no credit rating back then...but you need to send em a few bank statements and proof of address anyway.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by RainyDay
    BOI are offering 0% for six months on their Special Olympics Credit Card - no balance transfers accepted, though....
    Does that mean, you have to pay a minimum balance every month though, or shop 'till you drop and pay nothing untill six months?
    I rang MBNA regarding this and one operator said yes and the other said no:rolleyes:
    I haven't balance transfered as yet, but , it's amazing value considering what a term loan or overdraft rate is.
    It's cheap, almost free money provided you are certain that you will pay off in full after the six months.
    Of course the banks who want to make money here are banking on the fact that lots won't.
    mm

Originally posted by eth0_
    On €300 euro a week I bet you they'd give you a limit of at least a grand.

As for what you need, I think 6 months bank statements when I applied for mine, that was 3 years ago and I had no credit rating back then...but you need to send em a few bank statements and proof of address anyway.
    yeah, for fecks sake, I know a student with two credit cards with €250 limits on both from two banks, so a total of half a grand for him and no income:p
    mm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

Does that mean, you have to pay a minimum balance every month though, or shop 'till you drop and pay nothing untill six months?

You make the minimum payment of 2.5% each month, but you're not paying any interest - so each payment is coming off the balance owed.

It really is 'money for nothing' (for 6 months anyway). I've just bought a pile of Prize Bonds for six months courtesy of BOI - If I can win enough to pay the Govt stamp duty (€40) on the card account, I'll be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Incidentally, as of yesterday Ryanair are offering a card in partnership with MBNA. You apply through MBNA, all interest rates, terms and conditions are the same, but you get a free flight with your first purchase and one free flight for every ten after that. For those already with a MBNA card, you can transfer onto the new card over the phone to get the free flight/extra benefits - I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

Hows she going for you Tazz?

Also, I erm Have a Job, but I don't, cough :)

But I will have a substantial amount of money in the Bank, what are my chances of a Card?

And also I heard on the Radio that it is perfectly legal to take advantage of each companies 6 Month offer and then move on to another.

Anyone been doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭dmeehan

when they say "No annual fee" I assume that doesnt include the govt. E40 levy?

am thinking of going to the ryanair card at the moment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭The Cigarette Smoking Man

MBNA are good for giving you extra credit if need/want it. They seem to increase your credit limit automatically every couple of months. Contrast that with AIB who seem to be the stingiest bunch when it comes to credit. I've an MBNA credit card and I also had an AIB one until recently. My MBNA cards limit is five times greater than the AIB one.

MBNA also have good customer service over the phone and you can get credit card cheques.

Advertisement