Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

p***ed with sky!

• 03-02-2003 5:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

I am extremely p**sed off at sky. I’m sick and tried of they anti-irish attitude.
    Where are sky+, extra subscriptions and the brilliant Sky Active service they’ve been boasting about? Irish subscribers are being taken for fools they take our money every month make millions from us, then they offer us a far inferior service compared to the British, and tell us aload of cock and bull about delays etc.
    Well there have been delays on Sky+ and extra subscriptions now for the best part of

TWO YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think its time serious action was taken. One year ago I was able accept their pathetic excuses (for something that really only requires a couple of months training and the flick of a switch). But its gone too long for me and I’m sure many of you feel the same as I do, I want the ability to record well watching another channel I want the ability to view satellite in another room too, and to shop from my living room.

What can be done about this 2nd class treatment, no I’m sorry, 3rd or maybe even 4th class treatment! Is there any process by which we can get them to stop and take attention of us?
    In fact now I’m sure that when (if) these services become available there should be some kind of compensation made, i.e. very low prices on Sky+ and extra subs, if not even free, except for the cost of equipment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

BSkyB are a commercial entity.

Beyond that, they are a BRITISH commercial entity. OF COURSE their full range of new services will be available in Britain first. OF COURSE there'll be a delay before they'll be available anywhere else.

They're under NO obligation to provide the product to any market any sooner than they decide to do so and waging a silly campaign against them accusing them of treating the Irish as '4th class' citizens is pointless (not to mention ridiculous).

Would you get snotty at the makers of M&M's for not making their Peanut Butter variety available here but selling it en-masse in the USA? (Bad analogy, I know, but still...)

There's nothing to stop you switching to NTL or buying a TIVO box, is there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 potoole

It's an understanable rant though. It's easy to percieve an attitude with sky ireland that we should be "happy with our lot" and lucky to have such a wonderful service that is streets ahead of everything else.

The annoying thing is that things like sky+ are mentioned all over the place. Adverts with "not availble in ROI" are irritating. The demonstrations on page 998 are annoying too (you see the UK EPG).

Whatever about broadcasting rights and unavailability of UTV/Channel 4/BBC services etc. we should at least get the same level of service in anything that Sky provide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

There's nothing to stop you switching to NTL or buying a TIVO box, is there? [/B][/QUOTE]

Well there is something stopping him buying a TIVO box as they dont work here, are not for sale and even if he did buy one from england it has no way of downloading the listings from Ireland.

I would prefer a mix of a SKY+ and the TIVO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭vac

Isn't sky+ really expensive tho?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

This has all been said before and God knows that I want this to become available as soon as possible. I have the Sky+ box but Sky refuse to activate the functionality as they have no way of billing a customer in Ireland for the Sky+ functionality.

The latest date that I have heard was the 28th of April, but having said that they accept that it could slip further.

Regarding Sky+ being expensive, like everything else you are not forced to get it. It is up to you if you want to pay for the extra flexability that Sky+ gives you.

I assume that the mirror subscription will come in at the same time but I have not heard for definate.

• Advertisement

shane, when they say they have no way of billing customers here for Sky plus functionality, what do they mean??

Is it that the box has to be connected to a specefic phone number, transferring a call to the UK or what??

by the way,as far as $ky are aware aparently, alexander graham bells invention hasn't reached our shore yet, it is a little know fact that call centres here communicate with the outside world via sattelite and those things we think are phones are merely delusions :rolleyes:
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Hey Mad,

I have no idea what they mean when they say that. I seriously believe that they have no idea what they mean when they say that. They have stated that there is no technical reason why the system will not work here.

I have been holding my breath for 17 months now and I am a really interesting shade of blueish/purple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

falteringstar, I would be interested to know what region of Ireland you live in.

If, like me, you live outside the NTL region, you have to put up with Chorus. Now, I am not even going to begin my usual rant about this shower of cowboys, but suffice to say, Sky, with all it's faults, is lightyears away from anything I can subscribe to.

It's sadly a reflection on the way the service industry in general is in Ireland - it ain't great, but what are your alternatives?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭dmeehan

It's sadly a reflection on the way the service industry in general is in Ireland
    reminds me of the article Paradise Lost in Sunday's Indo

Advertisement