Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual processor DVD Ripping???

Options
  • 03-02-2003 6:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭

I have got a dual 2400+ athlon MP system. does anyone know of any dvd ripping tools which take advantage of multiple processors (i.e. use multithreading)?

Also is there a way to use SETI with more than one processor?

Thanks,

Jeff.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

just to mention what you probably already know...

YOU MUST HAVE AN OS THAT SUPPORTS MULTIPROCESSING.

IE: NT, 2k or XP

not:

98 or ME!

I know tempgenc will utilise two processors, you might be able to play around with it or indeed find what you want through their message boards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

Dvd ripping is normally limited by speed of dvd drive, however I'm sure you can find a multithreaded encoder. If you were doing a 2 cd rip you could also just run 2 instances of a single threaded encoder. Guardian knot seems to be a nice package, dunno if it supports multithreading tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

afaik dvd decrypter does it i could be wrong though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭logic1

Originally posted by Gerry
    Guardian knot seems to be a nice package, dunno if it supports multithreading tho.

It's Gordian Knot and it's not the best. TmpgENC Plus has been designed with multiprocessing in mind and is about the best ripper for quality and filters available. CCE can also use MP and isn't the worst in the world.

.logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭Señor Juárez

no i dont use linux currently but i have a partition set up so i wil be installing a distribution soon. no i am not retarded enough to install dual processors without a compatible OS. i use Tmpeg for VCD's but it's not the best for DivX. u cannot use 2 rips for 2 cd's because it would be nigh on impossible to select the right ranges in the VOB file. so far the only uses for my dual processors have been Seti and tmpeg :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

what if you ran 2 instances of Virtual PC and allocated a drive each? Kinda complicates things but it could get the job done.

Advertisement