Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unreal 2 gets bog standard review on IGN.com

Options
  • 03-02-2003 8:06pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭

Everyone knows that I detest the first Unreal game with a passion but I did have high hopes for the game even though it was developed by legend who aren't the best developers around by a long shot.

It got 8.2 and it sounds like it's the graphics that keep this game getting less than low 7.0. The main problem seems that the gameplay is 'more of the same' and does little to reinvent the fps genre. We'll know if they're right when it gets released next week (hopefully), but IGN are more likely to overrate a big release like this than overrate it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I agree with IGN on most points but its an FPS and if you like FPS you gonna love this its got nothing new and doesnt try to anything fancy just does what it says on the box but it does it well.

Excellent game methinks and i was hesitant about it because of IGNs review.

theres a thread on the Unreal board about it.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I heard a few guys say it has the same feel as half life. I looking foward it anyway as there hasent been a decent fps out in a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

I'm neutral on it so far (I'm onto the fifth world). It's not a bad FPS game, but it's not a great one by any means - and it's a huge disappointment after Unreal. It utterly lacks the atmosphere of the first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Now wait just a minute, an unremarkable, middle-of-the-road, average FPS has been released on the PC?

Who'd have thunk it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

why does every game have to be remarkable? why does every game have to bring something new to the genre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Originally posted by Balfa
    why does every game have to be remarkable? why does every game have to bring something new to the genre?
    Because if no games did we would still be playing tetris :p

They don't have to be anything of the sort. I'm perfectly happy to play entertaining games which take an old genre and re-do it in a stylish way with high production values. It's still fun even if it's old.

I'm not yet convinced that Unreal II fits the bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

Unreal (and HL) created great atmospheres. In unreal you really felt like it was just you against the rest of the world.

In unreal 2 there is an atmosphere but it is different than the ones in HL and unreal or even doom. There are some nice touches and things i havent seen work so well in a game before.

The AI is top notch as well. (except for one bug which i found where this scientist which ws suppoed to follow me got stuck and casued the cpu to go nuts). If your sniping enemies from a long way they take cover and even give cover fire if one of their teamates is down.
    In later missions you can order marines to defend areas. Theres a couple missions where you gotta defend an area from attack by placing marines, turrets and forcefields around the place.

I am really enjoying it and have been emersed the the er storyline :p

The weapons are ace, some very original ideas and then some that were ripped off other games and shows. All sound pretty kewl :D
    I sorta wish these were the weapons in UT2K3.

Only thing so far that i dont really like is that even on hard it wont take you long to complete the levels. Im having no really big problems with bad guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Doodee

I just got a copy of the game, gonna giv it a whack and see what its like.
    If its worth getting I'll pre-order my copy on friday.

whats the min spec for this?
    I'm at work everyday this week so playing it on meh lappy might be the only way around it, which is grand apart from teh Mobility Radeon 32MB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,145 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Originally posted by Pugsley
    Because if no games did we would still be playing tetris :p

I remember when THAT (in its first incarnation on the C64) was remarkable :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

hi creed :x

I loved two player tetris on the snes (I think it was)

that and bust-a-move :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

the min specs are:-

Intel Pentium III or AMD Athlon 733 MHz processor
    256 MB RAM
    3 GByte free HD space
    CD Rom 8x Speed
    32 MB NVIDIA GeForce2 MX
    Windows compatible sound card. NVIDIA nForce or other motherboards/soundcards containing the Dolby Digital Interactive Content Encoder required for Dolby Digital audio.
    DirectX version 8.1 (included) or higher

recommended specs are:-

Windows 98/Me/2000/XP
    Pentium III or AMD Athlon 1.2 GHz (or higher)
    384 MByte RAM (or greater)
    3 GB free HD space
    64MB NVIDIA GeForce3 or ATI Radeon 8500 (or better) *
    Sound Blaster Audigy series sound card*
    DirectX version 8.1 (included) or higher

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Ok when is it officially available in the shops? Friday? I could download it quicker....probably. ;)

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Main stream PC games should make the move to DVD. Game content is being restricted by the size of CD's. People dont want to go over 2 discs :( I miss FMV sequences....how much development time is wasted doing woeful in game cut scenes?

Mr Carmack...or any other influential pc games developer...make the transition...others will follow!

PS2 = DVD
    XBOX = DVD
    CUBE = 1.5 GB Disc

Almost everyone has a DVD DRIVE so PLEASE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I'm still looking forward to playing it.

It'll probably make me want to upgrade my graphics card too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I have a GF2 MX and a friend has a GF4 Ti, i gave him Unreal 2 last night.

It does look better on his, but not by enough to make me want a GF4...

:)

The cut sceans can be annoying in unreal 2, u can skip most of em so ure forced to watch it them it loads the level... as intresting as the story line is it gets annoying

:mad:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,377 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I've a 1.2 Ghz with 512 ram and a Geforce 2 MX. Unreal tournament 2003 ran slightly crappy on my machine. Will Unreal 2 run worse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Dooom

Originally posted by Shinji
    I'm neutral on it so far (I'm onto the fifth world). It's not a bad FPS game, but it's not a great one by any means - and it's a huge disappointment after Unreal. It utterly lacks the atmosphere of the first game.

um..so you have it?

um..so you have it?

Yes - I'm reviewing it. Or at least I think I am, one of our other staffers is making threatening noises about stealing it....

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

umm.. I'm confused
    Are you guys talking about Unreal 2003?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Asuka

Unreal Tournament 2003 has been on release for several months, and is multiplayer (or bots) only. Unreal 2 uses the same engine, afaik, but is a purely single player game.

A

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    I've a 1.2 Ghz with 512 ram and a Geforce 2 MX. Unreal tournament 2003 ran slightly crappy on my machine. Will Unreal 2 run worse?

Same spec a me, and its ok, can get jerky in spots (big complex scean's)

ok. i assume whoever says that they're playin it that they have it for review purposes? anyway ive got a amd athlon xp 2600+ (2.08ghz) 256ddr ram and a radeon 9700 pro. i wonder what fps i'll get on everything at high....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

considering i have your card and an xp 2000 (running at 1.8)and it runs flawlessly (odd jerky bit tho) id expect it to have nice high fps.

That said fps in a single player game aint really as vital as for multiplayer games.

and you have it for review purposes? well is it as processor hungry as ut2003? or is it manily grfx? ah well i'll just have to wait till friday....moan

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

IM not very happy how UT2k3 runs on my 1.33 athlon and GF2 gts. It has me concidering a graphics card upgrade and by the sounds of things Unreal 2 will make me think the same way!

I dont think theres a lot of life left in my old card!

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Greenbean

/me stops, sniffs the air and looks around

Aragon, do you think something strange is up? Awful smell of monkies around here.

ITS SHINJI! YOU ARE WAREZING LAMEZING BACKSTARD! Can one of the mods please remove this warez monkey please? Fupping lying cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,712 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Unreal 2 likes ram...lots of ram. I'd say its nasty on 256. GF3 and up runs it very nicely.

9700 Radeon would run it beautifully

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Mr. Fancypants

See that PC Zone gave it 94%. Nice big score like that should sell quite a few magazines...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Originally posted by Balfa

Disclaimer: I haven't played UnrealII, and for all I know it could be the best thing ever - I'm just going by reviews.

Every game doesn't have to be remarkable. But at the same time, *some* games have to innovate, or else - as pointed out above - we'd be stuck playing Tetris. Where would be if Valve had decided to create another middle-of-the-road Quake II? Or if Nintendo contented itself to churning out side-scrolling platformers?

Frankly, with the technology at their disposal, there is no excuse for UnrealII not being remarkable.

And remember, you're paying €60 for a game - so expect something that will register with you. For me, if a game doesn't provide something unique or memorable, it's not worth my money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭CivilServant

Well I've played the game and I can say I'm thoroughly unimpressed. For a game that is has been eagerly awaited it's the same type of game as unreal. I suppose I was expecting a bit much from this game with all the hype behind it. There are some nice touches in the game and it is a hardware hungry game (running on a p3 800, 384RAM, GF2 GTS) so it will satisfy people who shelled out hard cash to get top of the range equipment. But for me the next big thing is DOOM3. A decent try though.

Advertisement