Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DigitalSpy Twaddle

• 03-02-2003 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭

Forgive me Richard, I'll link to it here.

Digital Spy ranting

If it gets deleted, I've saved the page :D:D:D:D:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

I think the moderators on Digital Spy are ok, its just that there is a higher than average amount of gits posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭pbirney

Richard,

FWIW, I think that James Welsh was wrong in his reply to your comment about links in the discussions being edited.

Time and again, whenever a link to the Media Bullet site is quoted on digital Spy it is immediately blocked! I have yet to find out why this is the case.

Paul.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 skydigionline

Because a long time ago, a former member of staff at Mediabullet broke forum rules. I am still trying to clear the mess up now! *sighs*

Simon

By carumba!!!
    It's getting nasty over there now-look whats being said:
    icdg is a very poor copy of digital spy[ about 2 new posts per day!]
    And thats a quote from:
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/t/50874/ds.html
    mm ( :mad: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Guys I'm just wondering why we are discussing whats going on on another board?

Tony

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Its down to how members of their forum view Sky RoI subscribers, and how little they understand how we get BBC ONE NI and BBC TWO NI on Sky Digital.

Every time we explain, we hit a new brick wall of ignorance. "How dare these Irish have our TV for nothing" :rolleyes:

We don't get it for nothing, its part of the Family Pack minimum, and I applaud Richie, carrolls, West Briton and others here who frequent DS for trying to increase the flow of the tap from the current drip-drip, and clear up all the misinformed stuff that is said. Lord knows I've given up long day ago. :D

Also, as Richie pointed out there has been a history of removing links to other forums there, which is something we allow (so long as its relevant, and they are not doing blatent pimping of their site, like what did happen here before)

I understand what you say Damien, but why are we worried what they think. Every comment must be judged according to its source, you cant get drinking water from a gutter.

Tony

Originally posted by DMC
    Its down to how members of their forum view Sky RoI subscribers, and how little they understand how we get BBC ONE NI and BBC TWO NI on Sky Digital.

Every time we explain, we hit a new brick wall of ignorance. "How dare these Irish have our TV for nothing" :rolleyes:

We don't get it for nothing, its part of the Family Pack minimum, and I applaud Richie, carrolls, West Briton and others here who frequent DS for trying to increase the flow of the tap from the current drip-drip, and clear up all the misinformed stuff that is said. Lord knows I've given up long day ago. :D

Also, as Richie pointed out there has been a history of removing links to other forums there, which is something we allow (so long as its relevant, and they are not doing blatent pimping of their site, like what did happen here before)

I agree Tony, but isnt it in the interests of the forum in general, and the level of respect and quality of that that site and the information that it holds to make sure that they are not propagating myths and mis-informed debate?

Like, if someone keeps spouting rubbish, and its not being debated, then its going to be treated as gospel.

I agree debate is healthy but I think anyone can judge the quality of the contributions on Digital spy simply by reading them, any debate we have here will probaly not be read by the offending authors in any case. Anyway I just asked out of curiosity, its not for me to say what is allowed here and what is not. I have little respect for their ill informed rantings, they may have me confused with someone who gives a ****

Tony

Originally posted by DMC
    I agree Tony, but isnt it in the interests of the forum in general, and the level of respect and quality of that that site and the information that it holds to make sure that they are not propagating myths and mis-informed debate?

Like, if someone keeps spouting rubbish, and its not being debated, then its going to be treated as gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

No, I think DMC is right.
    If mis-informed twaddle appears on Digital Spy on Irish topics, it needs to be pointed out.
    If it is malicious, it needs to be ridiculed.
    Just the mention of BBC and Ireland in the same sentence seems to trigger some sort of tribal ritual that if not confronted and taken to account, might damage or reduce options for Irish viewers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Richard and Damien, I'm going to PM you both on this.

Suffice to say in public here - the Digital Spy website is one of the best media sites on the web, always very accurate and informative. (Indeed the original idea of ICDG was basically an Irish version of what was then called Cablenews UK). Its some of the posters on their forums that are perhaps annoying. But pay little attention to that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It's just the usual ill -informed nonsense regarding BBC TV and UK people paying TV licence...

The FACTS (which most brits don't understand):
    1) Lot of countries have TV licences, these are basically unconnected with what channel you watch. They are a tax on having someting that can receive any TV broadcast (should you only watch Nordic TV via d2MAC on a PC, you still need a licence).

2) Most places that DO have a TV licence partially fund a "Public Service Broadcaster" from the income (usually someone keeps part of the income for collecting it. The British Post Office used to keep 1/3rd!)

3) The BBC Charter (not the TV Licence) does not allow it on its own UK Channels to have adverts

4) The BBC can sell whatever programming it likes anywhere. The only limit is "the rights" they paid for on externally sourced material and what they agreed with Artists etc for fees vs areas for internally produced.

5) The BBC can partially own other stations with Adverts in the UK (e.g. Flextec/BBC UK Gold, UK Drama etc)

6) BBC pay channels with Adverts can't be sold to UK residents (but can be sold to anyone else, Ireland & Europe can buy BBC Prime, UK residents can't). For similar reasons BBC World TV, though Free To Air, won't be promoted in UK or on Sky platform as it has Adverts.

7) The more countries BBC sells BBC1, BBC2, BBC3, BBC4, BBC Prime, BBC America and BBC programs, the BETTER value licence payers get for money as BBC has more Income to make better / more programs. The ONLY BBC TV "given away" (i.e. FTA) outside of UK is BBC World TV (essentially the same as BBC News 24)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭Charles Slane

I regularly check DigitalSpy and find it to be generally very informative.

Of course it's very irritating when you read all that "BBC for the Brits" crap, and I must admit to rising to the bait from time to time with replies designed to inform them of the facts in o uncertain terms (and yes, I too have commented on their sometimes appalling spelling and grammar).

I actually noticed the post that started the argument, and was very tempted to reply, but then I just didn't have the heart or the energy for the fight.

I must say that some of the posts that appear on those threads seem to be more mischievous than mis-informed. Quite often a post seems to be put there to irritate someone or cause an argument.

At this stage I think we've told them often enough what the facts of the matter are. I'll certainly use DigitalSpy in the future, but I'm going to try not to be goaded into arguments.

I must say that I agree with Tony in that it's quite bizarre to use this forum to discuss what's happening in another one - but sure there you go, I'm doing it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 tyersal

Originally posted by Man
    By carumba!!!
    It's getting nasty over there now-look whats being said:

And thats a quote from:
    http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/t/50874/ds.html
    mm ( :mad: )
    it was me who posted that on digital spy this morning, i am sorry if it upset you all:o my main problem was replys from richard logue who seems to have a problem with a few people over there[ ranting on about me depriving galaxie sport,sky tv and the bundesliga out of money because we are watching for free on galaxie:confused: ] your forum is not that bad really:o

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I do rate DS rather highly as the staff do a generally good job, with regards to news and info. It's just their forum who has a fair few resident muppets, which I guess, all forums have. Dare I say it, I'm sure there are a few about boardsie too! These "BBC in ROI" arguments seem to happen fairly often in DS and will probably continue to happen. The problems of discussing Irish issues on a British forum, i guess. :confused:

Of course, as forums go, it's nowhere near as good as ICDG Community or indeed Boards.ie in general! Maybe if iwere British, i'd have different views. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Charles Slane

I must say that some of the posts that appear on those threads seem to be more mischievous than mis-informed. Quite often a post seems to be put there to irritate someone or cause an argument.

I agree Charles that seems to be the agenda and intention of those posts. I hope we never sink to their low intellectual level.

Tony

Originally posted by carrolls
    Just the mention of BBC and Ireland in the same sentence seems to trigger some sort of tribal ritual that if not confronted and taken to account, might damage or reduce options for Irish viewers.

I think you over estimate them, in what way will their ill informed statements damage options for Irish viewers? Might I suggest that the way we react to their goading says as much about us as it does about them.

Tony

Well, I think its down to their little Englanders' perspective on what we can and cant get, they are very possessive of the BBC and we have to set them straight. We'll agree to differ on this one.

Anyways, the trolls have been well and truly fed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement