Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Do You Hate About Gigs In Dublin?

Options
  • 03-02-2003 10:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭

Hi y'all,
    Anybody got an ideas on what could be done to improve the gigging scene in Dublin? Too many bands squeezed into nights? Longer sets/shorter sets? Better promotions? Too expensive? Badly organised? **** sound/lighting? Please let me know and I'll absorb your info and use it too lure you to future IRIS nights.
    Cheers,
    The Spoilt One.

www.irismagazine.net

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Nothing.

Nothing at all.

Except in Whelans where people don't shut the hell up!!!

When the band comes on, they actually TALK LOUDER!!!

I did actually point out to someone one time that I didn't pay 9 euro to listen to them talk sh*te behind me, and I was curious about why they paid 9 euro to be anooyed by bands playing over their conversation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sir

For starters I think the lack of decent bands is a major problem.
    Far too many "bands" (and i use the term lightly) feel that as soon as all members can actually finish a song at the same time that they are ready to play gigs! NOT TRUE! Do yourselves a favour and at least have the decency not to inflict your "sound" on the good people of Dublin. We'l appreciate you all the more when you do eventually grace the music "scene".
    Most bands have a definite lack of material either of their own or covers. Many of the songs covered by bands which i have seen are often very bad choices for songs to cover and secondly they are covered very very badly! At least if you're going to do someone elses song do it some justice!
    Your sounds not "raw" it's crap!

Secondly: Many times I've seen support acts have longer sets than headliners! The fact is that you're support acts for a reason the majority of people at the gig will have paid to see the headliners and the quicker the support act comes on stage the happier most of the punters will be! I'm not saying this is the fact with everyone its just a problem ive had at many gigs!

Thirdly: I'll agree with Silverfish the complete ignorance of people at gigs referring here to those beings who continue to regail their friends and anyone in the general vicinity with stories of last nights exploits with"yer wan from biotechnology" Take it outside please!! This is a common feature at gigs in Whelans i havent noticed it so much in other venues not sure why this is, but something should be done.

Lack of ventilation in venues is also a problem. Hopefully the ban on smoking will help this problem but I'm fed up going to gigs and coming home smelling like Santa Clause following an unpleasant chimney fire incident. Although if this ban is only to be enforced in places where food is to be served I cant see much happening here. I haven't a problem with people smoking its just i feel certain venues could do with investing some money in good ventilation systems to make the experience more pleasant!

Over priced tickets and alcahol in venues is also a problem particularly in Dublin. If I've paid €30 euro to see a band i dont want to have to fork out around a fiver for a pint!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

Originally posted by Sir
    Lack of ventilation in venues is also a problem. Hopefully the ban on smoking will help this problem but I'm fed up going to gigs and coming home smelling like Santa Clause following an unpleasant chimney fire incident. Although if this ban is only to be enforced in places where food is to be served I cant see much happening here. I haven't a problem with people smoking its just i feel certain venues could do with investing some money in good ventilation systems to make the experience more pleasant!

Hell Yeah. I'm a smoker, but I find in a lot of venues (except the TBMC) I usually just give up lighting my own halfway through. I have asthma and I usually find in places like DA2 and Whelans my inhaler can't keep up, my eyes are stinging, red and streaming and as a single laydeeee this is not the most attractive look for me.
    And being a tiny person holding my cigarette somewhere where my smoke isn't drifting into the faces of non-smokers gets difficult.
    And the smell of sweat ain't too attractive either.

Ventilation!! Yeah!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Manics

rOCK N' rOLL! Go ON 'YIS MAD BASTARDS! i'D HATE TA SEE YA WHEN YOUS ACTUALLY DO HIT 40.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

Yeah, the incessant chatter at gigs is something that has become a real problem at nearly all gigs in town. Can't believe that people will spend anything from 5 up to 50 europes to chatter in venue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭biZrb

I hate when the TBMC is sold out because you'd be just standing in the middle of the floor (or where ever) just watching the band and the sweat is pumping out of ya, it gets sooo hot! I always feel sorry for the moshers because they must be soaked in sweat. Anyone else ever get like this or do i have a very nasty sweat problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭bobzee

Yeah ventilation is a biggie for me..and of course crowd noise....and terrible sound (like in Da2)

I can recall a number of times I felt like I was going to suffocate in the heat and smoke in whelans....especially when they pack them in like sardines....really uncomfortable...

which is why I really like vicar street now....

as for crowd noise....I was at a gig in vicar street before christmas and there was a group of 3 people sitting in front of me...and they pretty much talked throughout the gig...and when the band got louder on the louder songs...they shouted above it so that they could hear each other....I couldn't believe it when after the last song they were screaming for an encore considering they couldn't have been listening to anything the band were playing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Keithaburke

We could do with more lovely bar ladies,
    maybe some sound engineers who aren't deaf yet,
    lower ticket prices,
    less smoking (tobacco),
    friendlier bouncers
    and places for chatters etc. to go and converse where they don't have to pay to get back in.

But most of all... more lovely bar ladies.

Keith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭renagade*

A rock gig isnt the ****ing opera where we all sit politely and clap appreciatively at the end. If a band is good enough they will grab attention. Now I can understand if its damien rice is doing he's whispery vocal bit and somemone istalking about football at full volume but if its a rock gig it aint that delicate that silence is required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭sodiumlightbaby

what about the whole "people who stand at the front and expect not to get bumped into" debate ?

maybe i'm on my own here but as far as i'm concerned if you stand at the front of a gig you cannot expect that people arent going to dance and bump into you etc. (unless you're at a george michael concert or something, in which case you deserve to get smacked just for being there !!).

If i go to a gig and dont fancy a bit of WWF at the front I'll stand back, even if it's a band i really want to see.....

On the other hand, I cannot stand people going ape****, in the middle of the crowd...get the **** up the front if you want to do that stuff !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭spoiltbrat

Yeah, I don't smoke any more myself but I used to so I'm not going to rant on about not smoking because I'd be a hypocritical w****r if I did.
    I think places do get hot and stuffy but thats just the heat from the bodies of people enjoying themselves - if you're having a good time there you probably wouldn't notice. Maybe the cloakroom should be free as part of your entry fee and its up to the individual to tip if they want?
    I agree with Sir about a number of things i.e. the quality of support. The problem is that everybody wants to headline their own gigs so they don't want to play second fiddle to a mates band because they are then perceived as a lesser band.
    What we're trying to do with the IRIS night (hopefully to be monthly in the TBMC) is give a couple of bands of relatively equal stature a chance to play to a bigger audience than the 70 to 100 people that they might squeeze into DA2. With proper promotion there is no reason why we can't have a regular night (like what Phantom are doing with their recent Whelans gig) highlighting the talent thats out there.

Don't be afraid to get in touch with any ideas -

events@irismagazine.net.

www.irismagazine.net

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Jamie D

I've become a fan of Isaac butts for gigs, and the late night club every Friday and Saturday plays great tunes and goes on til 3.00am. It's a much cleaner bar and a lot less smokie. The groundfloor bar and bar at the end of the stairs are really nice to drink in and you can move in and out from the gig section with ease.

The likes of Doug Sheridan and Columbo have played great gigs there and the sound is usually great.

NOW HEAR COMES THE CHEAP PLUG- Penfold DM play there Friday the 21st of February. Doors to the gig section open at 8.30ish, with support on just after 9.00pm. Admission is 7 euro or 5 euro with a concession. To get e-mailed a concession go the website at www.penfolddm.com and just join the mailing list :rolleyes:

It's a great spot every Friday and Saturday from 11.30pm and if you throw in a good band beforehand.....

Advertisement