Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Army to possibly be used to guard Shannon

Options
  • 04-02-2003 3:48am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭

rte.ie

Gardaí request assistance of army at Shannon

The Gardaí have confirmed they have requested the assistance of the army in protecting Shannon Airport following this morning's incident.

They say the request came following a meeting between the Garda Commissioner and senior army officers in Limerick.

It is understood the five protestors managed to enter the old SRS hangar at the airport where the plane was being repaired.The aircraft was undergoing repairs after being badly damaged in a separate incident last week.

A meeting was held tonight at Shannon Airport between senior defence force and garda officers to discuss the garda request for military assistance in relation to the security situation at Shannon Airport.

Further discussions are to be held at the airport in the morning.

---

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

ireland.com

Cabinet set to approve use of Army to guard US planes

The Cabinet is today expected to approve the deployment of Irish soldiers to guard US military planes refuelling at Shannon Airport after US officials conveyed their "serious concerns" to the Government after another attack on a plane

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

It is a needed but unfortunate measure, required by the violent behaviour of so-called peace-protestors who damage valuable air-carft. Still, it would be best to have our army minding the planes, instead of having the US army do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Front page of Star asks "can they shoot as a last resort?"
    Interesting point obviously the nutters who are breaking in are using serious physcal effort so where would they stop?
    If they are confronted by armed soldiers will they try to get by them?

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Snowball

Originally posted by KdjaC
    Front page of Star asks "can they shoot as a last resort?"
    Interesting point obviously the nutters who are breaking in are using serious physcal effort so where would they stop?
    If they are confronted by armed soldiers will they try to get by them?

kdjac
    The PDF have the right to shoot if they feel their live or the life of a comrad (another PDF member) is in danger. Also if they are attacked with fire arms or if there is no other way to stop the attacker.
    The PDF should have been there a long time ago. Shannon is a serious terrorist attack being so unprotected and easy to attack. its about time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Hmmm.... So now we're using the Irish army to defend warplanes belonging to another nation.

I wonder if that would stand up to a supreme court challenge based on the nation's constitutional neutrality.

All morality of the situation aside, I think this is a little step too far into the realms of active involvement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Originally posted by Shinji
    Hmmm.... So now we're using the Irish army to defend warplanes belonging to another nation.

I wonder if that would stand up to a supreme court challenge based on the nation's constitutional neutrality.

All morality of the situation aside, I think this is a little step too far into the realms of active involvement.

I have to agree, I do wonder how this would play out. Personally I don't agree that they should be protecting something which shouldn't be there..but that is another thread.

If attacked by armed attackers, by all means they should defend themselves - but are peace protesters likely to be armed? If they hurt and or killed an unarmed protester - I can't see the reaction to that being favourable.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I can see this ending in tragedy; ie. a protestor getting shot in the back by some gobshite with a Steyr.
    If the government do feel the need for extra security at Shannon, the army should be deployed to patrol the perimeter with night-sticks, rather than automatic assault rifles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭HJ Simpson

I assume the tax payer is yet again going to pick up the tab for this. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭spoofer

Remember that it may not be unarmed protesters that may attack the planes in shannon.
    It is a target for terrorists as well.
    Would you like some of our soldiers to be killed carrying a nightstick?? If this did happen, how many of you would be complaining that they were not armed????

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber ..."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

The army should definitely patrol the area. Overpowering a member of the Garda Siochana is a very serious criminal offence. Airports aren't some hippy hangabout they should be secured to the highest international security standards.

If these people breach airport security they should be arrested, if they start over powering Gards/Army they should be shot.

If not i would suggest letting the american troops defend their own planes. See how far the so called peaceful protestors get then.

Chief.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by HJ Simpson
    I assume the tax payer is yet again going to pick up the tab for this. GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!

The Tax payer is picking up the bill for the damage to the air craft as well, which is hardly America's fault...

I can see this ending in tragedy; ie. a protestor getting shot in the back by some gob****e with a Steyr.
    If the government do feel the need for extra security at Shannon, the army should be deployed to patrol the perimeter with night-sticks, rather than automatic assault rifles.

The Irsh army take weapons very seriously, some protestor is not going to get shot at random in the back. There is a set of rules for fireing live rounds, so if anyone gets shot it will probably be their own fault.

Trust me armed soldiers is better then armed cops...
    The PDF have the right to shoot if they feel their live or the life of a comrad (another PDF member) is in danger. Also if they are attacked with fire arms or if there is no other way to stop the attacker.

Thats a very general interpertation of the rules, and they apply to the RDF as well BTW.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,080 ✭✭✭hallelujajordan

Originally posted by Shinji

I think this is unfair . . . . At most, we are using the army to assist the Gardai in maintaining the rule of law.

Perhaps there is a constitutional question-mark over the right the government has to allow US planes to land at Shannon, but there can be no question-mark over the right the Gardai/Army have to defend the airport from civilian "terrorists"

We all need to grow up a bit. Actions such as those that have brought about the call-up of the army, only weaken the case of the "peace-protesters" who have real issues with the use of Shannon Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Lads to be honest I think security should have been stepped up dramatically after the 1st attack.

If 5 crusties who pray in the middle of the runway can get access (I believe the garda was probably suffering from shock from seeing them !!) to a US warplane can you imagine what a group of fanatical terrorists would do? Heres a clue they wouldn't be bashing the plane with mallets!

While I don't agree with Shannon being used without a UN Mandate but I would not like to see a situation occur where US Soldiers are killed because this Government did not take every precaution to make sure a terrorist incident did not happen.

I don't see the Army shooting any protesters unless they are fired upon first. Remember one thing the Irish Army has loads of experience in dealing with peacekeeping duties which demands gun discipline.

Gandalf.

(I do however see this attracting more of the direct action brigade down to Shannon, which could cause other problems!)

If the rumours that the US troops do indeed have weapons with them while travelling thru Shannon, can u imagine what would happen if a couple of crusties got their hands on a Colt-Carbine, or a Grenade-Launcher?

I'm not happy with the americans using shannon, but at the same time, i prefer having the Army on hand, should some extremest fringe of these protestors gets nasty.

its only small amounts of personal weapons going thru shannon AFAIK

ie: pistols

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Side-Arms/Personal Rifles in the baggage hold do not need to be declared when seeking landing permission at Shannon by US forces.

But anything else, or a massive shipment of rifles,e tc, etc MUST be declared when requesting permission to land from the government

okies... well in a country where most people are unarmed, (the gardai included), i dislike the idea of any weapons falling into the hands of nutcases, so i agree with the idea of the army being deployed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

Yes...I agree we have to protect these people on there way to the crusade. The Shias are waiting for revenge in the south Death Toll: 1- 10,000? The PKK doesn’t like the PUK etc... Death Toll, 1-120,000? The Turks like neither Death toll: 1-150,000. Our Shannon Economic lifeline passengers have there custom Oakley / Northface face masks at the ready for the big kill:
    1124277.jpg Our US troops on the Kuwaiti / Iraqi Border yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by Rew
    The Tax payer is picking up the bill for the damage to the air craft as well
    Where are you getting this from? Do you have any evidence?
    Originally posted by Chief---
    If these people breach airport security they should be arrested, if they start over powering Gards/Army they should be shot.
    Whatever happened to proportionate response? Perhaps the Paras should have shot a few more people on bloody Sunday?

Originally posted by klaz
    can u imagine what would happen if a couple of crusties got their hands on a Colt-Carbine, or a Grenade-Launcher?
    Quite unlikely, especially seeing as (1) they won't know where to look (2) they won't know where the ammunition is (3) they may not know how to use them (4) eh, they are pacifists, they don't want to kill people.

• Advertisement

Quite unlikely, especially seeing as (1) they won't know where to look (2) they won't know where the ammunition is (3) they may not know how to use them (4) eh, they are pacifists, they don't want to kill people

1) all they need is to gain access to the aircraft, or subdue a soldier carrying said weapon.
    2) ammo would be found close to the weapon if it is packed, or if they take down a soldier, he/she will be carrying some.
    3) anyone that has TV knows how to use a weapon (discovery channel, movies etc),
    4) in every peace movement there are extremists that are willing to go further to reinforce their own ideas of the way the world should be. The people who damaged the aircraft, had more aggressive feelings about the american presence in shannon, than the other protestors.

also at shannon there are people protesting the presence of american troops at shannon. These people are not protesting about the war, but abt Ireland being drawn into the war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Loomer

I heard they're sending in the FCA. God help the US planes LOL

Originally posted by Loomer
    The FCA doesn't exist anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Originally posted by HJ Simpson

Who else would pay for it. A nations army is always paid for by the taxpayer. Are they full time soldiers? If so they get paid whether they are on patrol in Shannon, on exercise in Wicklow or at home on leave. You could actually argue that, with respect to the soldiers on duty in Shannon, the taxpayer is actually getting better value for money as the troops are actually carrying out one of the roles for which they are trained (at taxpayers expense).

Originally posted by Loomer

Its the RDF these days.

Thats not confirmed but could happen if this situation is prolonged. There are 120 armed toops being deployed for now.

The RDF will have to cover their duties in the mean time. The Reserve lads will be paid wages and an allowance. These hours may come out of current the alocated hours if not it will cost the Gov extra cash overall....

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

With todays developments its hardly a surprise to learn the "peace camp" at the "warport" is being
    dismantled. I imagine most there don't want to be associated with professional agitators with violent minds.

Mike.

Advertisement